Americans: Would Or Wouldn't You Join The U.s. Military? Why?/why Not?

I did my 20.. I advised my son to only do 6. He decided not to do any and I can't say I blame him. I'd be hard pressed to recommend joining the Military with what Obama has done to it.

Thanks for your willingness to fight in defense of our country!

Can I ask, what do you mean when you say, "with what Obama has done to it?"

I was in, but wouldn't join right now. Being sent to die in useless wars doesn't exactly thrill me.

So you assert that ISIS, which is reported to have ties or capabilities of attacking in America is not worth fighting militarily?...

No, they're not. It's a middle eastern problem, let the middle east handle it. And even if ISIS/ISIL was capable of attacking us on our soil, that just means that the freedoms we gave up in pursuit of security were for nothing.

I had considered joining the Air National Guard when I got out of college but didn't.
Wish I did.

Why not do it now? I know that our troops could use all the help that they can get.

I myself have been banned from the military...

I joined and do not believe in the draft.

I joined and I believe strongly in the draft. When the kids of Mitt Romney go into the military, they see what REAL people are like and their dad is less likely to start a war where he has an actual stake in the people who are in the military.

Remember this: Mitt Romney told Bret Baier on Fox News today that he did not talk about the troops in his convention speech because, “You don’t go through a laundry list; you talk about the things you think are important.”

Guess the troops aren't important. They would be if his son's served.

Remember this:

"Are any of your five sons currently serving in the United States military and if not are any of them planning to support the war on terror by enlisting in the United States Military."

"We have a voluntary army in this country."
"There are a variety of ways you can show your support for our soldiers. My sons are showing support by trying to get me elected as the President of the United States."

How many times was that posted on this very website? Thousands? And that narcissistic asswipe believes helping him get elected is the way to "support the country"? Really? His sons should have supported the country by serving in the military. And that would only happen with a draft.

Last edited:
I did my 20.. I advised my son to only do 6. He decided not to do any and I can't say I blame him. I'd be hard pressed to recommend joining the Military with what Obama has done to it.

And what exactly has Obama done to it?

Right now he's gutting the shit out of it, which makes it real bad for the ones remaining. Liberals are typically hostile toward our military. Hillary loathed it. Military doesn't get the respect they deserve from liberals. Members are called war mongers and the left is willing to spend more money on illegal aliens and foreign aid for asshole radicals than they are on military members and retirees. Their actions speak volumes about how they regard our military. Now is a bad time to join. They are making deep cuts and a lot of officers are getting the axe. Cuts in benefits and forget cost of living raises. Plus they want to shift people from Tricare to Obamacare. A lot has changed and not for the better. We still ask a lot of our military troops, but libs don't show any love for the sacrifices they make. Having a commander in chief who calls the shots and mistakenly thinks he's smarter than the top military brass is dangerous.

When the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq started, tens of thousands of people joined the military and the defense budget ballooned. The wars are over now, and the budget is slowly being reduced. Something has to be done with all the thousands of new troops that joined and the reduced spending. Or do you suggest the military continue to grow exponentially each year, with no reduction even after a war?

I understand the logic behind it, because I would love for people to understand that freedom has a price, and everyone should do their part.

But a draft is also a form of slavery, and I completely disagree with that as a solution. Maybe if there were more options, besides military.

I would not join, and I don't want my kids to join. The world is too unstable, and I don't want to die for another country's politics.

Not even the National Guard in case the U.S. homeland is attacked?

I would advise my son against joining the military. It isn't used to defend our nation anymore. Today it's used to fight for the ambitions of politicians and make billions of dollars for corporations.

But the National Guard would only be used to fight anyone who attacks the country directly. Why not join the National Guard? This information might interest you: Russian Navy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia .

Last edited:
I would advise my son against joining the military. It isn't used to defend our nation anymore. Today it's used to fight for the ambitions of politicians and make billions of dollars for corporations.

But the National Guard would only be used to fight anyone who attacks the country directly. Why not join the National Guard? This information might interest you: Russian Navy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia .

National Guard members were sent to Iraq

Today's military is primarily used for political and economic purposes, sort of like back at the beginning of the 20th century, when the USA was sending the Marines into every banana republic in which someone wanted to redistribute the land and throw out United Fruit Company. Fighting for one's country is a good thing. Invading one Middle East country after another, playing "Whack-a-mole" is for suckers. Besides that, the country does not take care of it's vets the way they should, with a terrible VA system, untreated PTS, suicidal solders, repeated deployments, etc. etc.

Bands playing, flags waving and patriotic speeches by politicians with their cliches may have a short life span in a real war. People seem to lose their commitment to a long war with hardships as the purpose of the war becomes less clear. Maybe FDR understood this and Johnson and others did not. We send our future military leadership to military schools and our future presidents to political school, and what do those political schools teach?

This country has never been invaded. We were attacked, but that definition is far different than an invasion. If our beaches and skies were suddenly overrun by ISIS clowns with sharp knives I don't know of anyone who wouldn't defend, preserve and protect.

Why wait for it to happen? Isn't it better to be ready before it happens? Why not join the National Guard?: Russian Navy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia .

I'd go back in the Army. The difference I found out between the Army and the Boy Scouts is,,,,,,,,,,,,the Boy Scouts have adult leadership....

Can I ask, what made you not re-enlist?

Forum List

Back