Americans Like To Watch Trash!

"Television" and "trash" are inseparable. It's the nature of the medium. A two dimensional box that tells you to "sit down, shut up, and now I'm going to fill your mind with impressions I dictate". This is to make your mind jello so it's nice and vulnerable to watch a commercial to sell you Jello. Trash has always been an integral part of TV and always will be. It's incapable of honesty or deep thought or anything subtle. It's capable of sensual imagery and completely superficial emotionally-based bullshit, and that's it.

Walk into a room where people are watching TV sometime and instead of joining them looking at the screen, watch the watchers. Notice what you see: hypnotized drones sitting back, passive sponges, obediently ingesting whatever the box tells them. Knowing that, the producers of the content will contrive the cheapest, least informative, most emotional bullshit htey can hook you with, because the whole purpose of TV is a propaganda tool to sell you commercials, which in turn are propanganda to incite you to go out and buy shit you don't need (nobody has to tell you what you do need).

tumblr_mhcs7kPGyd1qkml81o1_500.jpg

The description "vast wasteland" was coined in 1961. It's the nature of the beast. It needs to go yesterday.​

You've pretty much just echoed Ray Bradbury's sentiments regarding his thematic intention with the novel Fahrenheit 451. When he was awarded his Pulitzer Prize from Columbia University in 2007, for some strange reason, Columbia wouldn't allow him to address the audience at the ceremony. Probably because Bradbury scoffed at the left's idea of Fahrenheit 451 being a portent of fascist totalitarianism.

"It wasn't", he told a Ventura, California 50th anniversary Fahrenheit 451 reissue book-signing party...where I was in attendance. He told the audience that his intention with the novel was to target the monster called television; the lengths to which humanity's most insidious propaganda organ would go, to ensure that the big screen on the wall was the only source of visceral stimulation for all the gelatinous proles hooked on its aura.

That's what the book burning was all about -television's attempt at absolute control of propaganda dissemination. Biting the hand that fed him? Maybe. But the man wrote more than 500 novels, short stories, screenplays, and television scripts in his long career. He had very little regard for what television had become.

Lefties in the audience were gobsmacked. But let's not get too condescending here. How many of us go through the absolute heebie-jeebies when our ISP is down, when our umbilical connection to the web is cut? Talk about withdrawal.

Well now you've piqued my curiousity. I've never seen the book or read the movie.

Our internet dependence cuts deep, point well taken, but I don't quite see them as similar -- on the internet you're still in control and with enough content can go fetch any kind of info you want -- far more unlimited. I really don't find myself melting down at those times, I just make the call to the ISP and then figure, "time to play some music" or something else creative.

The perils of TV, besides sitting you down like a sponge and dictating your senses, is that that shuts off the imagination. That's why radio will always be a superior medium. Watch a movie on TV and all the tiniest details are scripted by somebody else and spoon-fed. Listen to the same piece as a radio drama and your own imagination engages to create what this character looks like, what the room looks like, what the action looks like-- infinitely more creative on both ends. Good mental exercise. Physical too because you're not pinned to one spot -- you can walk around and do other things besides become an indolent wart on the barcalounger.

Not nice to shut off the imagination.

I wonder if you are this contemptuous of stage acting?

I'm not contemptuous of anything here. Simply stating the obvious. I like theater. We have a tiny one over in Creede that sometimes produces plays by local writers.

Yep, trash. So what is up on "The Dome"? Dumbest show I have ever seen. I love it, typical S. King tripe. He got hit by a car, and his mind suddenly just got a memory dump?

Yep, trash. So what is up on "The Dome"? Dumbest show I have ever seen. I love it, typical S. King tripe. He got hit by a car, and his mind suddenly just got a memory dump?

God love him, but I knew King was suffering some kind of mental disassociation when he criticized Stanley Kubrick's production of 'The Shining' as a bad movie. Artists should stick to what they know and do best. In King's case, he should write and leave the production of god-awful TV miniseries to people who do it much better than he.

"Television" and "trash" are inseparable. It's the nature of the medium. A two dimensional box that tells you to "sit down, shut up, and now I'm going to fill your mind with impressions I dictate". This is to make your mind jello so it's nice and vulnerable to watch a commercial to sell you Jello. Trash has always been an integral part of TV and always will be. It's incapable of honesty or deep thought or anything subtle. It's capable of sensual imagery and completely superficial emotionally-based bullshit, and that's it.

Walk into a room where people are watching TV sometime and instead of joining them looking at the screen, watch the watchers. Notice what you see: hypnotized drones sitting back, passive sponges, obediently ingesting whatever the box tells them. Knowing that, the producers of the content will contrive the cheapest, least informative, most emotional bullshit htey can hook you with, because the whole purpose of TV is a propaganda tool to sell you commercials, which in turn are propanganda to incite you to go out and buy shit you don't need (nobody has to tell you what you do need).

The description "vast wasteland" was coined in 1961. It's the nature of the beast. It needs to go yesterday.​

You've pretty much just echoed Ray Bradbury's sentiments regarding his thematic intention with the novel Fahrenheit 451. When he was awarded his Pulitzer Prize from Columbia University in 2007, for some strange reason, Columbia wouldn't allow him to address the audience at the ceremony. Probably because Bradbury scoffed at the left's idea of Fahrenheit 451 being a portent of fascist totalitarianism.

"It wasn't", he told a Ventura, California 50th anniversary Fahrenheit 451 reissue book-signing party...where I was in attendance. He told the audience that his intention with the novel was to target the monster called television; the lengths to which humanity's most insidious propaganda organ would go, to ensure that the big screen on the wall was the only source of visceral stimulation for all the gelatinous proles hooked on its aura.

That's what the book burning was all about -television's attempt at absolute control of propaganda dissemination. Biting the hand that fed him? Maybe. But the man wrote more than 500 novels, short stories, screenplays, and television scripts in his long career. He had very little regard for what television had become.

Lefties in the audience were gobsmacked. But let's not get too condescending here. How many of us go through the absolute heebie-jeebies when our ISP is down, when our umbilical connection to the web is cut? Talk about withdrawal.

Well now you've piqued my curiousity. I've never seen the book or read the movie.

Our internet dependence cuts deep, point well taken, but I don't quite see them as similar -- on the internet you're still in control and with enough content can go fetch any kind of info you want -- far more unlimited. I really don't find myself melting down at those times, I just make the call to the ISP and then figure, "time to play some music" or something else creative.

The perils of TV, besides sitting you down like a sponge and dictating your senses, is that that shuts off the imagination. That's why radio will always be a superior medium. Watch a movie on TV and all the tiniest details are scripted by somebody else and spoon-fed. Listen to the same piece as a radio drama and your own imagination engages to create what this character looks like, what the room looks like, what the action looks like-- infinitely more creative on both ends. Good mental exercise. Physical too because you're not pinned to one spot -- you can walk around and do other things besides become an indolent wart on the barcalounger.

Strange question .... certainly not. I love theater. It's a great art form, I've thoroughly enjoyed working in it or just watching it. And certainly offers infinitely more scope for expression than a two-dimensional propaganda machine.

I think of theater as a book that springs legs and comes to life.

Movies though leave me flat, which is the main reason I've never seen "451". Usually if I'm in a movie theater it's because somebody dragged me in there screaming and kicking.

The point is that the cliche "Americans like" is a freaking cliche unless it is backed up with data. Consider this stuff to be left wing anti-American propaganda designed to foment hatred against American 'decadence".

Strange question .... certainly not. I love theater. It's a great art form, I've thoroughly enjoyed working in it or just watching it. And certainly offers infinitely more scope for expression than a two-dimensional propaganda machine.

Movies though leave me flat, which is the main reason I've never seen "451". Usually if I'm in a movie theater it's because somebody dragged me in there screaming and kicking.

You bemoan the loss of imagination in film because everything is presented to you. While certainly stage is more limited, it still presents you with much of the same information as film and requires far less imagination than reading or listening to a story. Why, then, is theater a great art form while you deride film/television and those who watch them? :dunno:

You bemoan the loss of imagination in film because everything is presented to you. While certainly stage is more limited, it still presents you with much of the same information as film and requires far less imagination than reading or listening to a story. Why, then, is theater a great art form while you deride film/television and those who watch them? :dunno:

I didn't opine on film. I opined on television -- as a fatally flawed technology. I didn't opine on the audience of either one; I noted the psychological manipulation going on, which is at best commentary on the vulnerability of that audience. I don't see that audience as a subject of derision; I see them as victims.

I throughly enjoyed The Clone Wars. I could care less if it's a cartoon. If its a good story its a good story. Some of my favorite shows are cartoons. Archer and Bob's Burgers is funny as a hell. Avatar, The Last Airbender is brilliant television.
now Archer i can get behind...

Last edited:

I didn't opine on film. I opined on television -- as a fatally flawed technology. I didn't opine on the audience of either one; I noted the psychological manipulation going on, which is at best commentary on the vulnerability of that audience. I don't see that audience as a subject of derision; I see them as victims.

You described television watchers as an 'indolent wart on the barcalounger'. You said TV sits you down like a sponge and dictates your senses and shuts off your imagination. You said television makes the viewer's mind jello in order to sell them Jello. That sounds like plenty of opinion of television audiences, not just the vulnerability of the audience, unless you are claiming that such reactions are a universal and unavoidable reaction to watching anything at all on television.

You seem to ignore that some television is commercial free, that many people watch television without commercials either through the use of dvr or dvds or services such as Netflix. Are HBO and Showtime programs selling Jello? Difficult without commercials, I would imagine.

There's also the fact that while television certainly requires far less visual imagination than other mediums, it absolutely can require more imagination in other areas. As an example, it is extremely difficult to provide the detailed thoughts of characters the way you can in books. Television and movies have time and pacing constraints that books do not. This allows books to insert a great deal more information than the film mediums.

And you still have not explained what it is about television that is so different from theater that the former is without imagination while the latter is great art. Based on your comparison to radio, it would seem you are opposed to the visual component of TV, but as theater employs a large visual component, it leaves your statements unexplained.

I don't care if you hate all TV. When you provide poorly explained reasoning for that, and do it with the air of pretension you have here, I feel the need to comment.

AND if you want to see it as TV in it's original form, it was known as Babylon 5.

Even though Mass Effect was a blatant rip-off of B5; it was a great series of games.
Babylon 5.....maybe the best Sci-Fi series ever...

If you watched it, you have the entire Mass Effect story. EA paid Straczynski royalties for the story, so it was wrong for me to call it a rip-off.

AND if you want to see it as TV in it's original form, it was known as Babylon 5.

Even though Mass Effect was a blatant rip-off of B5; it was a great series of games.

I've heard good things about it, but never watched it.

Better than Farscape? Better than Firefly? The good Star Treks?

I've heard good things about it, but never watched it.

Better than Farscape? Better than Firefly? The good Star Treks?
this took place on a Space Station....to me thats different than the ones on a ship exploring the Galaxy.....but i thought it was somewhat better than DS9.....not much, but better.....some of the aliens were pretty unique.....the Vorlons and the Shadows were pretty cool.....their ships were organic.....it lasted 5 seasons by design and definitely worth a look.....as well as the 3-4 movies that followed....

Forum List

Back