American education falls to below average globally

I dunno about smearing... but hey, every year for decades the U.S. education has been dumbed down by virtue of the increasing emphasis on social goals rather than education goals. And here we sit... are we going to blame this on conservatives?

Hardly... the left's infiltration of the education system has been disastrous.

Well, your avatar holds a key to this dilemma. Too much emphasis on sports in high school as well as college. Not enough emphasis on science.

The best technology-based university in the world right now is Indian Institute of Technology in Delhi. And honey, they DON'T have a big, bloated cash machine called a football team.

You do realize that both Stanford & Harvard, just for starters, have sports... right?

What you said is insanely goofy.

You do realize you'e arguing with an emotionally challenged individual, right?

And no, I'm honestly not being snarky.

Take your meds, Malarkey or I'll call your nurse, Ms No Tea Party

It all comes down to our ass backwards funding and control of our educational system

Those countries that do better than us all have national control over the educational system. Only the US puts the power with the local school board....with widely varying results

...and-----and rightwinger, some states do better than others. Below is a state by state list of how states rank in the Science and Engineering Readiness Index (SERI)

science-education-ranking-chart-110707b-02.jpg

The Statistical Research Center at the American Institute of Physics ranked how well U.S. schools are preparing students for science and engineering careers. Though there's a small number of high performers, most states are doing a poor job of educating students in these subjects. [Full Story]​

Whoda thunk-----who would have thought, states that do well in the Science and Engineering Readiness Index (SERI) tend to vote for Democrats most of the time?

Well, your avatar holds a key to this dilemma. Too much emphasis on sports in high school as well as college. Not enough emphasis on science.

The best technology-based university in the world right now is Indian Institute of Technology in Delhi. And honey, they DON'T have a big, bloated cash machine called a football team.

You do realize that both Stanford & Harvard, just for starters, have sports... right?

Yeah, I know... I should treat him just like I treat Deanie Weanie & Tazernuts.

If there were ever an issue that should be apolitical, this is the one. But the need to smear the other side is too tempting.

I dunno about smearing... but hey, every year for decades the U.S. education has been dumbed down by virtue of the increasing emphasis on social goals rather than education goals. And here we sit... are we going to blame this on conservatives?

Wouldn't the schools in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and other red states be the best schools since they would have conservative persons running their districts--it would stand to reason?

If there were ever an issue that should be apolitical, this is the one. But the need to smear the other side is too tempting.

All Democrats seem to do is spend more and more on education, expecting different results each time. Definition of insanity.

That 'more money' on education?

Where do you think it goes? To the kids? :lmao:

Right.

It goes to the Teachers and, more importantly, to the Unions.

There are more than 4 Million Teachers in this Country. The VAST majority of whom pay Union Dues.

Which average out to around $750 per year (I'm being conservative on that)

Multiply 750 X 4 million.

That works out to 3 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR.

And that is why retired General Counsel Bob Chanin of the NEA can say things like this:

"Despite what some among us would like to believe, it is not because of our creative ideas. It is not because of the merit of our positions. It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year because they believe that we are the unions that can most effectively represent them, the unions that can protect their rights and advance their interests as education employees."

They fucking OWN dimocrap politicians in their States. Own them.

Unions absolutely DWARF Corporations in political donations. Not even close.

Makes it hard to compete in States with a lot of Unions. Almost impossible. That's why so many Northeastern and Rust Belt States are dimocraptic.

Get Unions out of the mix and Americans, real Americans, might have a say in our day to day lives for a change

What is a "real American" according to you?

Wouldn't the schools in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and other red states be the best schools since they would have conservative persons running their districts--it would stand to reason?

State colors as defined by the current political process are not measured with people that are placed in charge of school systems.

Regardless of that, both red and blue states can be shown to be lacking. Both parties have been doing a terrible job of managing our school system. It's past time to move away from linear politics and reform our spectrum to a more 3 dimensional system.

Yes, it would, if they were run by conservatives.... that was my point. Academia is typically run by liberals, especially at the university level. Unless we're talking about schools such as Hillsdale, Tulane (to a degree), the Citadel, etc.

State colors as defined by the current political process are not measured with people that are placed in charge of school systems.

Regardless of that, both red and blue states can be shown to be lacking. Both parties have been doing a terrible job of managing our school system. It's past time to move away from linear politics and reform our spectrum to a more 3 dimensional system.

I think it is simpler than that... back off all the social engineering stuff (which should be taught in the home) and stick to math, reading and the sciences.

Thank you Unions and lefties. Nothing better than socially promoting stupid kids for social reasons! They may be dumb as shit when they graduate but at least they'll feel good.

So, you want a 15 year old going to class with your 9 year old daughter or granddaughter?

Here is a PERFECT example of lack of education.

Do you really believe thay someone flunked 6 times would be in a regular class rather than some sort of special needs class?

The story was on Huff

oh that is just rich...no wonder you didn't post it or you'd be called on your bullshit of dismissing everything that comes from Huffpo.

Bullshit. You are a fucking liar. I have NEVER dismissed any source. In fact I routinely defend sources. I should neg your dumbass but I'll let it pass

You did dismiss Huffington Post at least once. But in general, it is true you don't much care where someone gets their information from. You certainly are not guilty of "dismissing everything that comes from Huffpo". You have been one of the more fair people with respect to that.

Media Matters
Huffington Post
John Stewart
Think Progress
And some random blogs?

Lol seriously?

Last edited:
Bloody Asians, screwing up the curve.

Seriously, nothing shows that middle class public school districts are turning out great numbers of students incapable of matriculating through college or tech school to gainful employment. And nothing shows American middle class public school kids no longer excell in basic cynicism or require proof before accepting some social truth. You get your Pak or Hindi Cow Lover or Shintu Samuri, and sure they can memorize, but we folks only have to worry when the Asians get in our schools. Like that Khan guy who owns the jacksonvillle Jaguars ... soon to be the London Beefeaters or Los Angeles Teslas, trebling the value of the football team. Don't let anybody smart like that into our educational system. We'll end up being there service employees.

Now yeah we do got the public unions ensuring failing districts will fail because their teachers couldn't keep track of pet rocks, and actually requiring them to teach something woudl be futile, even if the kids in the districts had even one parent who gave a crap about them. But this isn't china or someplace where we can just take these parents and put in slave labor camps ..... though one can dream.

Well, most school boards are elected. Right?
If a state has republican governors, US Senators, US House Members, State Senators, State Legislators etc... wouldn't it stand to reason that they would have right-leaning if not Republican-by-name school superintendents?

Again, this is why I say this should be an apolitical issue.

Uh-huh. And....what made the national news this weekend? Auburn's win over Alabama.

Thanks for trying to play, anyway.

Oh yeah, ....Hook 'em, Horns. University of Texas alone has more students than Harvard or Stanford combined. Big football college.

And look at Penn State....They even turned a blind eye to boys getting raped in the locker room because THEIR sports program was more important.

Last edited:

Can you even find India on the map?
Do you know how many applications for H1B visas that Microsoft alone makes every year to import talent from India and China?
Do you even KNOW what an H1B visa is without looking it up?

Last edited:
oh that is just rich...no wonder you didn't post it or you'd be called on your bullshit of dismissing everything that comes from Huffpo.

Bullshit. You are a fucking liar. I have NEVER dismissed any source. In fact I routinely defend sources. I should neg your dumbass but I'll let it pass

You did dismiss Huffington Post at least once. But in general, it is true you don't much care where someone gets their information from. You certainly are not guilty of "dismissing everything that comes from Huffpo". You have been one of the more fair people with respect to that.

Media Matters
Huffington Post
John Stewart
Think Progress
And some random blogs?

Lol seriously?

Now Neg me Gramps! Tell me how you never dismiss sources and then do you "I hate liars " routine again. Let me get my popcorn you fucking self righteous jack ass :lol:

The answer to this is for the US to emulate what the countries with the best education systems are doing.

That involves longer days, longer weeks, longer years, tracking at an early age, smaller group expected to go to college, decent vocational ed.....and more respect for the teaching profession.

Think we are willing to go there?

Oh, and corporal punishment.....in Japan, it's the kids who clean the school.

We need a combination of the best systems. I have experienced Japan's education system. It has its drawbacks. Test scores are great. Critical thinking skills......not so much.

Forum List

Back