American education falls to below average globally

It all comes down to our ass backwards funding and control of our educational system

Those countries that do better than us all have national control over the educational system. Only the US puts the power with the local school board....with widely varying results

Have you seen the tests that were given to students in those one-room school houses from the 20's through the 50's? Students could read, they could write (you could even read their writing) and they knew their geography and what little science that was available to them. Those that were taught in those 'locally' controlled school houses were people like Thomas Edison and others who powered the industrial and scientific revolutions in this nation. It is the main reason why the United States grew from a backward frontier nation to the one that lead the way in science and technology.

Right now if you want your children to get a good education you seek out private schools, probably some type of Christian private school (Catholic schools are very good) and you send them there. There is absolutely NO WAY that I would send my children to a public school now.

We have seen conclusively that you don't "teach" kids by trying to make them conform to some national standards that makes them all achieve to the lowest common denominator. We also know that the answer is NOT throwing money at the problem.

It all comes down to our ass backwards funding and control of our educational system

Those countries that do better than us all have national control over the educational system. Only the US puts the power with the local school board....with widely varying results

Have you seen the tests that were given to students in those one-room school houses from the 20's through the 50's? Students could read, they could write (you could even read their writing) and they knew their geography and what little science that was available to them. Those that were taught in those 'locally' controlled school houses were people like Thomas Edison and others who powered the industrial and scientific revolutions in this nation. It is the main reason why the United States grew from a backward frontier nation to the one that lead the way in science and technology.

Right now if you want your children to get a good education you seek out private schools, probably some type of Christian private school (Catholic schools are very good) and you send them there. There is absolutely NO WAY that I would send my children to a public school now.

We have seen conclusively that you don't "teach" kids by trying to make them conform to some national standards that makes them all achieve to the lowest common denominator. We also know that the answer is NOT throwing money at the problem.

Is that why the majority of them wound up working for unions on assembly lines and then voted for Reagan who sent all of those jobs overseas?
Yep, they was durrned bright, those fokes of olde!

So when a gullible dipshit regurgitates some shit about Obama watching the battle of Benghazi from a drone, or that Obama was the one who increased regulations tenfold for a lead smelter plant in 2008, or that 80 million people are going to have their employer sponsored health insurance cancelled, I can blame the left wing for that incredible credulousness, too?

Awesome!

What the fuck does that have to do with our sabotaged Education system?

ahaha if it hurts say ouch. Your own medicine tastes horrible don't it? :lol:

Children in the 20s and 30s learned through rote memorization. Not too relevant in a Google world

yes...yes...more government control will certainly solve the problem. :hmpf:

Yes...yes...you have no point.

Make college free like other countries so we can at least be in the race....oooor just keep doing the same thing and hope for different results

And once again - you are not only wrong, but opposite of reality.
Ever since the government stuck it's nose into collegiate education - and began financing anyone with two legs - the entire system is faaaaaaaaaaaar worse off.
The whole notion of "everyone should go to college" is typical short-sided idealistic bullshit from the progressives.

Public schools cannot pick and choose the student body the way private schools do. Public schools by law are inclusive and private schools by definition are exlcusive.

It's a hell of a lot easier to have great results when you can turn a blind eye to the lowest performing students. Pub. schools have to try and try again with underperforming students. Priv. schools just kick them out.

Money makes a huge difference in educational quality. Or is education the one pursuit in existence where money spent has no effect on quality?

Thank you Unions and lefties. Nothing better than socially promoting stupid kids for social reasons! They may be dumb as shit when they graduate but at least they'll feel good.

You know the comparison is faulty, right?

No it isn't.

Yes it is.....we do not track...those countries we are compared to not only track, but they separate the college bound higher kids at an earlier age and they are the ONLY ones tested in this way. We in the US test ALL our kids, including special ed.

Yeah, but at least our kids have REALLY HIGH SELF ESTEEM! And we're REALLY CAREFUL not to HURT THEIR FEELINGS! That's what matters!

Confident Idiots: American Students Growing More Confident, Less Capable

:rock:

This generation was raised to value self-esteem above discipline and achievement. Consequently, students are feeling better than ever about themselves while performing worse. We have become a nation of narcissists.

No wonder these students find school a place to cut loose a little, drink, use drugs and turn the school into a free brothel. They are gifted and already know everything.

Thank you Unions and lefties. Nothing better than socially promoting stupid kids for social reasons! They may be dumb as shit when they graduate but at least they'll feel good.

So you are trying to imply that all school teachers and admin are leftist and in a union? Better think again a stop posting half truths.

I have one cousin in Texas that is a republican as is his teacher wife and their immediate family that are in the public school sector. They are also not in any union.
I looked into the union while working in KC, Tulsa, Joplin and Ft. Smith, but I did not like the idea of paying dues to maybe get work.

Last edited:

Make college free like other countries so we can at least be in the race....oooor just keep doing the same thing and hope for different results

Ever since the government stuck it's nose into collegiate education - and began financing anyone with two legs - the entire system is faaaaaaaaaaaar worse off.
The whole notion of "everyone should go to college" is typical short-sided idealistic bullshit from the progressives.
I don't know about you but I had to do well in high school and perform well on the ACT to get into college. Nobody let me in. I earned it. And b/c of my academic performance - read individual effort--I was able to compete with the rich kids who bought their way into the university.

Check me if I'm wrong, but doesn't competition improve things? If so, how do you justify your negative statement about expanding the funding for college applicants?

Did you know that most Americans got by with no more than an 8th grade education back then?

education is for military and working in industries. I may add that J.P. Morgan started working at 5 and never had a good education, yet look at where he went as did others like him.

Wow...here I thought you were going to tell me how I'm wrong. Instead you just said I'm wrong because I'm wrong.

All those other countries are kicking our ass - Govt is involved in their education - Now tell me again how their govt can and ours cant. Include the reason this time

American education falls to below average globally
If the cons get their way, it will fall a lot farther when they destroy the Dept. of Ed.. Because they think it's easier to herd ignorant sheep.

Yeah, but at least our kids have REALLY HIGH SELF ESTEEM! And we're REALLY CAREFUL not to HURT THEIR FEELINGS! That's what matters!

This generation was raised to value self-esteem above discipline and achievement. Consequently, students are feeling better than ever about themselves while performing worse. We have become a nation of narcissists.

No wonder these students find school a place to cut loose a little, drink, use drugs and turn the school into a free brothel. They are gifted and already know everything.

Yep.

And worse, they'll enter the real world expecting awards just for showing up, rewards for doing nothing, respect without earning it. I feel bad for them, they're in for a rude awakening when they leave school. Many of them are experiencing it now.

Hate to see it.

What you are seeing socially in the US has happened in every other nation that was or is well off, I mean the median income is high enough to spoil humans and divert them from their true purpose and not just a hedonistic life style.

Yep.

And worse, they'll enter the real world expecting awards just for showing up, rewards for doing nothing, respect without earning it. I feel bad for them, they're in for a rude awakening when they leave school. Many of them are experiencing it now.

Hate to see it.

Yeah, a couple of people I hired tried to pull that crap on me, they soon found out what it is like to be unemployed by me.

Forum List

Back