Almost as scarce as a hen's teeth

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
While I've long understood what makes one be a DACA-person, I didn't until recently know how many DACA-people there are. Now I hear there about 800K of them.

800K?!? All the haranguing we've been hearing in opposition to DACA-people is over 800K individuals! That means all the commotion is over 0.25% of the U.S.' 320M residents.

OMG!!! DACA-people don't comprise 1% of the population.

There-Are-Bigger-Fish-to-Fry_03.png

And don't start with one of those "the law says" arguments. "That truck couldn't pull a fat baby off a tricycle." In the course of U.S. history, the law has said all sorts of things that were later determined to be unsound/unjust/unwanted.

We should ignore the crime because a relatively sm. % of the US pop. is committing it? I don't think so. The same is also true of serial killers.

We should ignore the crime because a relatively sm. % of the US pop. is committing it? I don't think so. The same is also true of serial killers.

I wouldn't about serial killers make a national issue of the sort that has been made about DACA-people. That's an even "smaller fish," AFAIC. There's absolutely no need for a fortnight's prattling about a serial killer.

About all that need be said of serial killers is one mention on the local evening news the day the killing happens and subsequent mention of it on the same local news broadcast channels when the killer (1) is apprehended, (2) is adjudged by a jury or pleas guilty, (3) is sentenced and (4) is executed (if that be the sentence). Other than that, the only thing that need be said are announcements law enforcers want made to specifically request public input, if needed, to apprehend the killer.

We should ignore the crime because a relatively sm. % of the US pop. is committing it?

While that's what you've imputed to my remarks, that is not what I said.

I'm saying exactly what I wrote. There are bigger fish to fry and all this outcry about the "small fish" that is the population of DACA-people is not worth the hoopla that's been made over it. It may be later, but right now, it's not, and what the law says has nothing to do with it.

What percentage of DACA are MS-13 members? Doesn't matter, right? It's just a percentage of a small percentage. The only people effected are too dead or too scared to complain anyway.

Bigger fish? The main problem with illegal immigration is a failure to enforce the immigration laws. The DACA was a end run around the law. Now we have a bunch of people who have been living deferred lives. It's time for them to either become citizens or make other arrangements. Congress needs to deal with this little fish.

All sized fish are expected to obey the law. If they don't, there are consequences.

Man if only there was a way to import people as fast as new building permits were issued then property values would rise without oddly low interest rates and even ridiculously loose loaning regulations.

You know, if we get some young folks willing to take manual labor jobs perhaps we can export something as a country.

It would be great if people came over who liked to work with their hands and maintain old houses and things. Too bad we throw away soo much as a society.

Just saying. I'd tie new subdivision permits to population increase for one, vote for me for President

What percentage of DACA are MS-13 members? Doesn't matter, right? It's just a percentage of a small percentage. The only people effected are too dead or too scared to complain anyway.

Bigger fish? The main problem with illegal immigration is a failure to enforce the immigration laws. The DACA was a end run around the law. Now we have a bunch of people who have been living deferred lives. It's time for them to either become citizens or make other arrangements. Congress needs to deal with this little fish.

All sized fish are expected to obey the law. If they don't, there are consequences.
Please bear with me while I address each part of your post, I assure you it will come together in the end.
What percentage of openly racist persons commit "hate crimes"? It's just a percentage of a small percentage, right? Yet we have what amounts to "your crime is worse because of what you think" laws, AKA "hate crime" laws.

I agree with all of this, except the last part as "they" already have, see "Federal Immigration Law".
True, and no one I know of is arguing otherwise. I am sure that the OP is no exception. It does not appear, to me at least, that the OP is suggesting that DACA persons not be dealt with, merely that is is not as big of an issue as many are making of it. Just as MS-13 is not as big of a national issue as, say, North Korea, or NAFTA. There are already laws in place that deal with issues such as immigration and the illegal activities of MS-13, and they merely need to be enforced, as you said.

Just to give you an idea of how, relatively, small this group is:
"In 2000, 667,414 Americans over 5 years old reported Polish as the language spoken at home, which is about 1.4% of the census groups who speak a language other than English or 0.25% of the U.S. population." Polish Americans - Wikipedia So, about 0.25% of the U.S. population speaks Polish at home.

According to this link List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the population of Austin, Texas, and San Fancisco, Califoria, were around 800k. So, how big of an issue is it that SanFran. (by itself) is a so called "sanctuary city", if it were the only one? How big of an issue would you think it to be if Austin were to legalise pot? Not that big I would venture to say. Certainly not big enough to require the attention of the U.S. Congress. The DOJ would be another matter altogether. Just as the so called "dreamers" should be dealt with by ICE, not COTUS.

While I've long understood what makes one be a DACA-person, I didn't until recently know how many DACA-people there are. Now I hear there about 800K of them.

800K?!? All the haranguing we've been hearing in opposition to DACA-people is over 800K individuals! That means all the commotion is over 0.25% of the U.S.' 320M residents.

And don't start with one of those "the law says" arguments. "That truck couldn't pull a fat baby off a tricycle." In the course of U.S. history, the law has said all sorts of things that were later determined to be unsound/unjust/unwanted.
This is just a different way for a liberal to say "I hate America".

Currently, they can't become citizens. A law allowing it would be helpful, I agree.

Currently, they can't become citizens. A law allowing it would be helpful, I agree.
Not sure that is the best solution. It has been done, true, but what message was sent to the world? Is that a message we wish to "double down" on? I don't know the answer, but thus far what we have done has not worked.

As a side note:
Israel has a pretty secure border. Know what their illegal immigration rates are?
GOP senator says Israel border fence cut illegal immigration
Truth be told, the headline is a bit misleading. The 99% refers to a 143 mile section only. However, a 90% reduction has been realised along a 500 mile stretch as well.

You really don't understand.

Every single illegal immigrant is 'the tip of the iceberg.'

THE VAST MAJORITY OF ALL LEGAL IMMIGRANTS—TWO-THIRDS—GET IN ON “family reunification” policies each year. In other words, America has no say about the single largest category of immigrants and we end up with gems like Octomom, the Boston Marathon bombers, and one hundred thousand Somalis in Minnesota.
Entire villages from Pakistan are dumped on the country, based not on their expertise in nuclear engineering, but because everyone in the village is related to the first guy who got in. If they’re not, in the strict sense, related, they’ll lie. "
Ann Coulter, "Adios, America."

Exactly. There is no need to legislate a new law. DACA has already been successfully challenged in court. There is no need to go round these people up, but over the course of time, as they come into contact with law enforcement, deport them for violating our border law.

We DO have larger issues to deal with. Congress has something on the order of 100+ bench seats that need filling and their time would be better spent doing that.

^ In case you ever wonder how Liberals completely destroy a nation like Venezuela in under 2 decades

Please bear with me while I address each part of your post, I assure you it will come together in the end.
What percentage of openly racist persons commit "hate crimes"? It's just a percentage of a small percentage, right? Yet we have what amounts to "your crime is worse because of what you think" laws, AKA "hate crime" laws.

I agree with all of this, except the last part as "they" already have, see "Federal Immigration Law".
True, and no one I know of is arguing otherwise. I am sure that the OP is no exception. It does not appear, to me at least, that the OP is suggesting that DACA persons not be dealt with, merely that is is not as big of an issue as many are making of it. Just as MS-13 is not as big of a national issue as, say, North Korea, or NAFTA. There are already laws in place that deal with issues such as immigration and the illegal activities of MS-13, and they merely need to be enforced, as you said.

"In 2000, 667,414 Americans over 5 years old reported Polish as the language spoken at home, which is about 1.4% of the census groups who speak a language other than English or 0.25% of the U.S. population." Polish Americans - Wikipedia So, about 0.25% of the U.S. population speaks Polish at home.

According to this link List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the population of Austin, Texas, and San Fancisco, Califoria, were around 800k. So, how big of an issue is it that SanFran. (by itself) is a so called "sanctuary city", if it were the only one? How big of an issue would you think it to be if Austin were to legalise pot? Not that big I would venture to say. Certainly not big enough to require the attention of the U.S. Congress. The DOJ would be another matter altogether. Just as the so called "dreamers" should be dealt with by ICE, not COTUS.
Yeah. It's a small group. Surely they matter enough to not be left in a perpetual state of deferral. Dealing with them doesn't mean we ignore dealing with other groups.

We're not arguing anything here, we're mincing.

Exactly. There is no need to legislate a new law. DACA has already been successfully challenged in court. There is no need to go round these people up, but over the course of time, as they come into contact with law enforcement, deport them for violating our border law.

We DO have larger issues to deal with. Congress has something on the order of 100+ bench seats that need filling and their time would be better spent doing that.

I'm not sure that's exactly how I'd handle the matter, but I'm not going to have a conniption over it being handled thus (or not) at the discretion of the law enforcement official(s) involved in any given incident.

Yeah. It's a small group. Surely they matter enough to not be left in a perpetual state of deferral. Dealing with them doesn't mean we ignore dealing with other groups.

We're not arguing anything here, we're mincing.
Sure, the matter does need attention. What the OP is trying to say though, as I understand it, is that there are more important (AKA pressing) matters to attend to, and I agree. Let me put it another way. Say you have bed bugs in your home. You also have a bear that keeps trashing your garage. Which one is more pressing? Sure, both need attention, but one is more pressing. While the bed bugs are a nuisance, and may, over time, cause health concerns, isn't the bear (a predator known to kill people on occasion) a far more pressing concern? The same is true here. While the DACA issue does need to be addressed, we have more pressing matters to attend to first. Such as NK, recent Hurricanes, the economy, etc. Things that have a strong possibility of becoming much bigger issues if not addressed quickly and correctly. The DACA issue has been basically stable for decades, there is little change it will get out of control in the near future. That is not to say it is not in need of corrective action at some point. It's really all a matter of perspective. Far more people will be/are affected by other issues at this time.

There is an even smaller percent of the population that murder people. Lets ignore that law as well.
Thanks for that well thought out OP! :rolleyes:

Picking and choosing which laws to enforce is just another way of saying corruption or tyranny.

Forum List

Back