Ahmaud Arbery Judge Used Defendants' Comments Against Them in Handing Down Life Sentences

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
Before announcing the life sentences for all three defendants: Travis and Gregory McMichael and William "Roddie" Bryant, Judge Timothy Walmsley spoke about previous comments they made before, during and after the fatal shooting of Arbery.

"In my opinion, Greg McMichael very early on in this tried to establish a narrative. He made comments Ahmaud Arbery 'was trapped like a rat,'" Walmsley said. "[He] effectively admitted that he wasn't sure what Ahmaud Arbery had done wrong. 'I don't think the guy has actually stolen anything out there or if he did it was early in the process but he keeps going back over and over again into this damn house.'"

Walmsley continued, "getting back to the narrative, he told Travis 'you have no choice.'"

Walmsley then went on to discuss past comments made by Travis McMichael saying that he claimed he was in shock after the shooting but "talks about his concerns for his child and his own well-being, part of this was while the victim laying there in the street."

"Commented, 'this is the worst day of my life' and I think it's been touched on here today, there were other individuals that were impacted," the judge said. "Mr. Bryant. He joined in after calling to the McMichael's 'ya'll got him?' Claimed he didn't know what was going on but obviously wanted to know if this individual who was running through the neighborhood, who he didn't know, had been caught in some way."

Walmsley also noted that Bryant previously said, 'if this guy would have stopped, this would have never happened.'"

Travis and Greg McMichael were both sentenced to life in prison without parole, while Bryant was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. The three were previously convicted in the murder of Arbery in November of last year.

This is how the Justice System is actually supposed to work. Too bad we don't have many Judges like this one, maybe there is hope for the Justice System in this country after all.

This is how the Justice System is actually supposed to work. Too bad we don't have many Judges like this one, maybe there is hope for the Justice System in this country after all.

Not liking the outcomes of court cases doesn't mean the system is broken. Cases like this one prove that when a case is properly prosecuted, justice prevails...

Not liking the outcomes of court cases doesn't mean the system is broken. Cases like this one prove that when a case is properly prosecuted, justice prevails...

One must note.......the original D.A. in this case ruled that nothing wrong happened here. In this case the error was rectified but the problem of the police investigating themselves or a D.A. having to rule against the police they need to stay in office still exists.

I would not vote for that judge when he’s up for election

The three men who chased him down and killed him were arrested, charged, tried, convicted and sentenced.

Where's the problem?
How long did it take for them to be arrested?

An investigation didn't take place until the GBI got involved.

One DA tried to cover it up and another DA claimed that the men were justified in their actions.

One fool recorded it and one of the other fool's posted the video for everyone to see. The police had the video the day of the murder and did NOTHING.

The police rolled up on the crime scene and NOT ONE man was arrested, hell Roddy Bryant was allowed to go home.

Not ONE vehicle was impounded.

An outside DA had to prosecute the case.

There was a lot wrong.

"In my opinion, Greg McMichael very early on in this tried to establish a narrative. He made comments Ahmaud Arbery 'was trapped like a rat,'" Walmsley said. "[He] effectively admitted that he wasn't sure what Ahmaud Arbery had done wrong. 'I don't think the guy has actually stolen anything out there or if he did it was early in the process but he keeps going back over and over again into this damn house.'"
For the racist right, being black alone is justification for murder.

Arbery was subject to a presumption of guilt for no other reason than his race.

How long did it take for them to be arrested?

An investigation didn't take place until the GBI got involved.

One DA tried to cover it up and another DA claimed that the men were justified in their actions.

One fool recorded it and one of the other fool's posted the video for everyone to see. The police had the video the day of the murder and did NOTHING.

The police rolled up on the crime scene and NOT ONE man was arrested, hell Roddy Bryant was allowed to go home.

Not ONE vehicle was impounded.

An outside DA had to prosecute the case.

There was a lot wrong.

Well, I guess this just goes to prove it: You can't please a negro.

Three racist white guys chase down and kill an unarmed black guy. They're now going to die in prison and the negroes are unhappy about it.

For fuck's sake...

Before announcing the life sentences for all three defendants: Travis and Gregory McMichael and William "Roddie" Bryant, Judge Timothy Walmsley spoke about previous comments they made before, during and after the fatal shooting of Arbery.

Walmsley continued, "getting back to the narrative, he told Travis 'you have no choice.'"

Walmsley then went on to discuss past comments made by Travis McMichael saying that he claimed he was in shock after the shooting but "talks about his concerns for his child and his own well-being, part of this was while the victim laying there in the street."

"Commented, 'this is the worst day of my life' and I think it's been touched on here today, there were other individuals that were impacted," the judge said. "Mr. Bryant. He joined in after calling to the McMichael's 'ya'll got him?' Claimed he didn't know what was going on but obviously wanted to know if this individual who was running through the neighborhood, who he didn't know, had been caught in some way."

Walmsley also noted that Bryant previously said, 'if this guy would have stopped, this would have never happened.'"

Travis and Greg McMichael were both sentenced to life in prison without parole, while Bryant was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. The three were previously convicted in the murder of Arbery in November of last year.

"The Night that the Lights Went Out in Georgia"

Well, don't trust your soul to no backwoods Southern lawyer
'Cause the judge in the town's got blood stains on his hands.

Well, I guess this just goes to prove it: You can't please a negro.

Three racist white guys chase down and kill an unarmed black guy. They're now going to die in prison and the negroes are unhappy about it.

For fuck's sake...
You have to be an idiot to now see the problem in that, but it is par for the course for ass clowns like you.

Forum List

Back