African American Sergeant Damian Lamar Daniels murdered by the Bexar County Sheriff’s Department in San Antonio, Texas IN HIS OWN HOME

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The struggle continued as Daniels reached for his own gun. Images released by the Sheriff’s Office showed deputies with their hands on the pistol and Daniels gripping the gun beneath his red shirt.

In that struggle, Salazar said the deputies were “pleading” with him to let go of the gun.

“It was very clear they were in a fight for their lives,” Salazar said.

Body camera footage of the encounter, which lasted more than 30 minutes, showed Daniels was carrying a Glock Model 22 .40-caliber pistol. He also had a second magazine and a knife."

-- from the OP's article.

Sure doesn't sound like a murder to me.

It also doesn't sound like the veteran was getting the help he should have got. If we can't afford to take care of our veterans we don't deserve a military.

It isn't the job of the police to give mental health treatment. Police were called to deal with an armed suspect who was putting people in fear, they must think of their safety and the safety of by-standers first.

If you are interested in getting better mental health treatment for veterans (or non-veterans), you need to speak to your elected legislator, not the police.

It was a mental health call. I said we need fewer cops and more mental health experts to deal with mental health calls. Did you not read that?
even when its known they have a gun???

Yes, why not?
well one good point of doing that is the cops can sit back and shoot from safety after he kill the social worker,,,

"The struggle continued as Daniels reached for his own gun. Images released by the Sheriff’s Office showed deputies with their hands on the pistol and Daniels gripping the gun beneath his red shirt.

In that struggle, Salazar said the deputies were “pleading” with him to let go of the gun.

Body camera footage of the encounter, which lasted more than 30 minutes, showed Daniels was carrying a Glock Model 22 .40-caliber pistol. He also had a second magazine and a knife."

It also doesn't sound like the veteran was getting the help he should have got. If we can't afford to take care of our veterans we don't deserve a military.

It isn't the job of the police to give mental health treatment. Police were called to deal with an armed suspect who was putting people in fear, they must think of their safety and the safety of by-standers first.

If you are interested in getting better mental health treatment for veterans (or non-veterans), you need to speak to your elected legislator, not the police.

It was a mental health call. I said we need fewer cops and more mental health experts to deal with mental health calls. Did you not read that?

I suggest that you send a mental health worker to deal with the armed suspect and let police do other work.

View attachment 380808

Why would you suggest that? It says multiple police officers were sent. Would it really ruin your day if one of them was a mental health professional?

even when its known they have a gun???

Yes, why not?
well one good point of doing that is the cops can sit back and shoot from safety after he kill the social worker,,,

I'm not 100% positive that killing a social worker is a crime. I think it varies from state to state.

I suggest that you send a mental health worker to deal with the armed suspect and let police do other work.

View attachment 380808

Why would you suggest that? It says multiple police officers were sent. Would it really ruin your day if one of them was a mental health professional?

Mental health professionals are assigned to police units in some jurisdictions. They don't deal with suspects until they are disarmed and no longer pose a risk to the clinician. The MHP would have been outside until it was safe for him (or her) to enter.

View attachment 380808

Mental health professionals are assigned to police units in some jurisdictions. They don't deal with suspects until they are disarmed and no longer pose a risk to the clinician. The MHP would have been outside until it was safe for him (or her) to enter.

And that isn't working. We changed the way we dealt with hostage situations. We send an expert. As you note in some places we already do this. Why does it offend you so much if we expand that.

The sick person needs to seek out the help that is there for the taking. If they don't that is their choice. Or do you favor a more dictatorial government system where we can just grab up people off of the street? You either have a free society, or you don't. There are loads of mental health programs out there. The fact that he didn't pursue one is on him. It is sad that he was killed, but he brought it on himself.

The sick person needs to seek out the help that is there for the taking. If they don't that is their choice. Or do you favor a more dictatorial government system where we can just grab up people off of the street? You either have a free society, or you don't. There are loads of mental health programs out there. The fact that he didn't pursue one is on him. It is sad that he was killed, but he brought it on himself.

While it's not always the case in this case this is a veteran. You are basically saying for him to seek out help himself or screw off.

Would I be wrong to assume you pretend to support the troops?

Damian Lamar Daniels. His life mattered, and when we needed mental health support the most, he had to face men with guns and only 8 hours of mental health training. We cannot let this happen again to our comrades, especially to combat veterans.
Seems like justified use of force to me.....mental illness is real.....too bad he didn't get the help he needed sooner....

Feds have already been willing to grab people up off the street -- especially when they think a person may be planning to protest in a way we don't approve of.....

This is why we need to replace some police officers with mental health professionals.
Mental health professionals are too intelligent to allow themselves to be placed in that position. Plus they would never agree to the pay cut.

While it's not always the case in this case this is a veteran. You are basically saying for him to seek out help himself or screw off.

Ahhh yes, always with the extremes. That's common with children. I will repeat slowly, so you can understand. There are LOTS and LOTS, and LOTS of mental health resources for veterans. But, because we live in a FREE society, those who are in need MUST seek out the care. It is FREE, but they have to ask because we are not capable of reading minds yet. It is sad, terribly sad that he did not seek out help, and he sadly paid for that with his life, but that is on HIM.

And yes, i support our troops. But i also value my life in a FREE society.

Evidently you don't.

Damian Lamar Daniels. His life mattered, and when we needed mental health support the most, he had to face men with guns and only 8 hours of mental health training. We cannot let this happen again to our comrades, especially to combat veterans.
This is why we need some mental health professionals instead of just sending minimally trained armed response.

Ahhh yes, always with the extremes. That's common with children. I will repeat slowly, so you can understand. There are LOTS and LOTS, and LOTS of mental health resources for veterans. But, because we live in a FREE society, those who are in need MUST seek out the care. It is FREE, but they have to ask because we are not capable of reading minds yet. It is sad, terribly sad that he did not seek out help, and he sadly paid for that with his life, but that is on HIM.

Evidently you don't.

Providing mental health experts to go on mental health checks affects my freedom none.

It doesn't affect yours either.

we have a national case of PTSD. we have experienced so much trauma and so little hope

SHAKE IT OFF!

Evidently you don't.

Providing mental health experts to go on mental health checks affects my freedom none.

It doesn't affect yours either.

I agree, and no mental health professional will go into a situation like that because it is too dangerous for them.

Your thread title is false.

Nowhere is it alleged this man was murdered.

This is why we need to replace some police officers with mental health professionals.
This man was armed with a hand gun and a knife.

How do you think things would have worked out for those so called "mental health professionals"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back