Advice for a Successful Marriage

I'm still pretty young to the whole thing here but I tried to "reset" the other day in an argument. I noticed that with my wife once she gets started with an argument her emotions take control then the argument becomes its own entity. Once a woman gets emotional logic cannot exist in the same space.

So once I noticed she was heated I removed myself from the argument. I didnt leave I just didnt allow it to affect me where normally I would respond to all the nonsense.

It worked, later we were able to talk about it civilly

mine too....

so why the thread?

Just for fun- and for a little perspective. Marriages are hard work!! I'm lucky, I have a wife that I adore, and she feels the same way about me. But it's still hard work...

Starting this thread has forced me to be a little more attentive to her and the things that she cares about......believe me, it's worth it!!

Hold on....

What? Yes dear!! I am on my way up now!!! OK ...yes ..yes, uh huh. Yup. OK!!

Yes dear, I will shut off the lights, take out the garbage, and turn off the fireplace. What? yes, I'll take my shoes off BEFORE I come back in.....:lol:

Gotta go!!

see, that is just it.... what you just described...is not a "good marriage" in my opinion. What you described is the marriage with a path of least resistance.

it is a wedding ring.... not a nose ring on a bull......
What she said... ^

And then you have those of us that just don't want to be tied down. I don't know if it's in my DNA or whatever, but I don't feel like I was ever cut out to live my life with one person constantly by my side. I do love my freedom, my space, the peace and quiet of living alone... well I do have a cat, but she isn't demanding or doesn't talk much... :D

I just enjoy the single lifestyle. Always have. I can do what I want, when I want, how I want, for however long I want, and I never have to worry about asking someone else's permission or worry about them bitching at me for doing it. Was married twice and neither marriage lasted over a year. It was clear long ago I didn't like the idea. I am a true loner, and like it that way.

Last edited:
Zander thats not a good situation that sounds only good on one end. Shes cracking the whip and you think if you just do what she says the whip cracking will stop. It wont...

Hold on....

Yes dear, I will shut off the lights, take out the garbage, and turn off the fireplace. What? yes, I'll take my shoes off BEFORE I come back in.....:lol:

Gotta go!!

My version...

Forget to turn off the lights, spill the garbage on the kitchen floor, throw more wood on the fire, and ask her to put that sexy teddy on and come give you a foot rub.

I'm not 'tied down" or being run around with a ring in my nose. I enjoy pleasing my wife and she enjoys pleasing me. .....

:thup:

Just for fun- and for a little perspective. Marriages are hard work!! I'm lucky, I have a wife that I adore, and she feels the same way about me. But it's still hard work...

Starting this thread has forced me to be a little more attentive to her and the things that she cares about......believe me, it's worth it!!

Hold on....

Gotta go!!

see, that is just it.... what you just described...is not a "good marriage" in my opinion. What you described is the marriage with a path of least resistance.

What she said... ^

And then you have those of us that just don't want to be tied down. I don't know if it's in my DNA or whatever, but I don't feel like I was ever cut out to live my life with one person constantly by my side. I do love my freedom, my space, the peace and quiet of living alone... well I do have a cat, but she isn't demanding or doesn't talk much... :D

I just enjoy the single lifestyle. Always have. I can do what I want, when I want, how I want, for however long I want, and I never have to worry about asking someone else's permission or worry about them bitching at me for doing it. Was married twice and neither marriage lasted over a year. It was clear long ago I didn't like the idea. I am a true loner, and like it that way.

lol.... the way i describe it is.... we are loners who like being alone with each other.

I'm still pretty young to the whole thing here but I tried to "reset" the other day in an argument. I noticed that with my wife once she gets started with an argument her emotions take control then the argument becomes its own entity. Once a woman gets emotional logic cannot exist in the same space.

So once I noticed she was heated I removed myself from the argument. I didnt leave I just didnt allow it to affect me where normally I would respond to all the nonsense.

It worked, later we were able to talk about it civilly

I'm gonna use this!!

Hold on....

Gotta go!!

What she said... ^

Married once, we were happy for ten years.

Unfortunately, we were together for thirteen.

;)

I am only half-joking when I tell people my sign is Hermit, Sign of the Crab.

I am hoping this thread will become a compendium of wisdom and advice for a successful marriage. In order to do that, it will require lots of differing viewpoints. So please, weigh in!! Contribute!! And let's all benefit from our "collective" experience....and hopefully laugh a little too!

Let me get it started.....

tumblr_lzu7e8DGYb1qcc8ul.jpg

PS- I've been married for 18 years (in a row!!). :thup:

Avoid flossing in front of the one with whom you are romantically involved, and especially on your honeymoon..:lol:

I am hoping this thread will become a compendium of wisdom and advice for a successful marriage. In order to do that, it will require lots of differing viewpoints. So please, weigh in!! Contribute!! And let's all benefit from our "collective" experience....and hopefully laugh a little too!

Avoid flossing in front of the one with whom you are romantically involved, and especially on your honeymoon..:lol:

Drop flossing all together.......buy a waterpik!! (it's way better!!)

Drop flossing all together.......buy a waterpik!! (it's way better!!)

Both are best. So are the little mini- flossers in three places, after I have consumed any foods. :D

Frequent and unsuspected surprises ...

Send your wife flowers (or better a nice plant) ... Because it is Wednesday.
Go out to lunch with your husband and make him stop by Bass Pro Shop on the way home.

When your wife is out doing something ... Wash the sheets, and make the bed back up.
One day when your husband is out doing something ... Paint the bathroom.

Plan to spend the weekend at a nice place a decent drive away ... Make reservations for Saturday ... And leave on Thursday.

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
From my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
From my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

Pretty chicks have no personality because they dont need one. Unfortunately its not until their looks fade that they are confronted with this reality

Forum List

Back