Advice for a Successful Marriage

Seriously tho, I envy anyone with a successful marriage. I couldn't do it. My second exwife and I get along better after divorce than we ever did married.

Don't ask me, I've been single for 27+ years and like it.

The difference between a girlfriend and a wife is:

... if a girlfriend turns out to a nagging bitch, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend turns out to be a massive slob around the house, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend puts on 50 pounds and turns into a fatass, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend thinks she's going to sit on her ass and not work and contribute something monetarily to the relationship, you can tell her to hit the road,

... and the list can go on forever. Wives you must suffer through these differences attempting to work out a solution, or live with them even though you don't like it. Girlfriends you don't. I'll take girlfriends.

Just my preference, as I'm sure there's many here that will beg to differ. It's a free country, and I urge everyone to exercise their freedom of choice.

Just remember that it's a two way street. Your girlfriend can pick up and split when you become an overweight lazy slob that appears to have grown from a sofa. Being alone sounds wonderful, until you're alone......:thup:
No argument there, except your insinuation that I'm going to become an overweight lazy slob is a little off base. If that was going to happen, I'd be that by now.

Guess I'll think twice before I rep you again.

Chillax - I was generalizing. :thup:

Have sex whenever your husband wants.

Is there something else?

My very first girl friend in the Air Force at Nellis AFB told me one time that her MOTHER told her...

... "the secret to keeping your man happy is to keep his belly full and his balls empty."

She was from NYC... can you imagine a mother telling her daughter that?

The best Mother daughter advice evah!!

Here's another: (drawled out in a Mae West voice) Honey, the best way to get over one man..........(pause and shake head) ..... is to get under another.

so why are you stressed [MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION]?

I'm not stressed...no really!! I'm NOT!!!

:smiliehug:

Seriously though. My world is a stress free zone......:thup:

mine too....

so why the thread?

Just for fun- and for a little perspective. Marriages are hard work!! I'm lucky, I have a wife that I adore, and she feels the same way about me. But it's still hard work...

Starting this thread has forced me to be a little more attentive to her and the things that she cares about......believe me, it's worth it!!

Hold on....

What? Yes dear!! I am on my way up now!!! OK ...yes ..yes, uh huh. Yup. OK!!

Yes dear, I will shut off the lights, take out the garbage, and turn off the fireplace. What? yes, I'll take my shoes off BEFORE I come back in.....:lol:

Gotta go!!

I'm not stressed...no really!! I'm NOT!!!

:smiliehug:

Seriously though. My world is a stress free zone......:thup:

mine too....

so why the thread?

Just for fun- and for a little perspective. Marriages are hard work!! I'm lucky, I have a wife that I adore, and she feels the same way about me. But it's still hard work...

Starting this thread has forced me to be a little more attentive to her and the things that she cares about......believe me, it's worth it!!

Hold on....

What? Yes dear!! I am on my way up now!!! OK ...yes ..yes, uh huh. Yup. OK!!

Yes dear, I will shut off the lights, take out the garbage, and turn off the fireplace. What? yes, I'll take my shoes off BEFORE I come back in.....:lol:

Gotta go!!

see, that is just it.... what you just described...is not a "good marriage" in my opinion. What you described is the marriage with a path of least resistance.

it is a wedding ring.... not a nose ring on a bull......

i have been married going on 32 maybe 33 years....damn it now i am curious to how long....we knew each other 3 months before getting married...i was a 2nd wife....his parents hate me and still do....blah blah blah...all this good marriage advice..we go to bed pissed at each other...hell our fights can be seen and heard in outer space....i do not believe i could live without him....i often joke that i love him so much...he cant help but love me back.....he always has my back...and i always have his.....he gets unconditional love but not unconditional support...if he is wrong....i tell him so....in private...but in the south...when we walk out the front door...its all smiles...

but we are old and set in our ways...i know better than to fuss with him in public....but i also am very adapt at getting my way in public...example....he refused to get the insurance for his cell phone even with son and i telling him he would need it ...his phone is destruct proof...but he could still lose it.....so after he bows up..i simply ask him where his camera is.....(he had lost it) he of course then takes the insurance....

people give up too easily.....men always use this excuse for divorce...she was a ho....women always say he was an abuser....same excuse all the time....what it really is...serial monogamy.... is what we practice today...marry this one for a few years...get bored and move on....marry another one for a few years....never really committing to any of the marriages....i see good christian women with 3 marriages behind them and kids by all of the men...wth?

as a pagan i believe that one can move on as long as one has no kids...once the rug rats hit the scene you must commit....i could always find a man...men are easy.....i have never in my life experience a 'man shortage' ...even the term makes me laugh....but to find a father....that is a much harder thing to do....and nature sets the stage...stay with the father of your children and form a hard core pack....simple as that...

I am hoping this thread will become a compendium of wisdom and advice for a successful marriage. In order to do that, it will require lots of differing viewpoints. So please, weigh in!! Contribute!! And let's all benefit from our "collective" experience....and hopefully laugh a little too!

Let me get it started.....

tumblr_lzu7e8DGYb1qcc8ul.jpg

PS- I've been married for 18 years (in a row!!). :thup:

my marriage has definitely made my life better. I can honestly say, l love my wife more than when we where first married. the relationship has grown. my wife is also my best friend. I think one of the key factors is while we are a couple, we have maintained our individuality. we've never tried to change each other, we've never put constraints on each other. We have trust in each other and neither one of us has ever given the other reason to lose that trust. Above all, we communicate. We talk, we don't hold things back

You never get a chance to "just love them". As bad as it sounds you have to always be gaming or thinking about the next chess move

I am hoping this thread will become a compendium of wisdom and advice for a successful marriage. In order to do that, it will require lots of differing viewpoints. So please, weigh in!! Contribute!! And let's all benefit from our "collective" experience....and hopefully laugh a little too!

my marriage has definitely made my life better. I can honestly say, l love my wife more than when we where first married. the relationship has grown. my wife is also my best friend. I think one of the key factors is while we are a couple, we have maintained our individuality. we've never tried to change each other, we've never put constraints on each other. We have trust in each other and neither one of us has ever given the other reason to lose that trust. Above all, we communicate. We talk, we don't hold things back

That is one of the most essential components---- communication-- however most people don't know how to do it. right For effective communication, one needs to avoid beginning a sentence with the word, you, as that is often considered accusatory by the person listening and they will become defensive and when that happens, often loud voices are heard and at that point, all effective communication comes to a halt.

Lesson of the day: Avoid starting serious communications with the word, you. It puts people on the defensive, unless that is where you want them. :lol:

That is one of the most essential components---- communication-- however most people don't know how to do it. right For effective communication, one needs to avoid beginning a sentence with the word, you, as that is often considered accusatory by the person listening and they will become defensive and when that happens, often loud voices are heard and at that point, all effective communication comes to a halt.

Lesson of the day: Avoid starting serious communications with the word, you. It puts people on the defensive, unless that is where you want them. :lol:

when we have our arguments, er discussions, i mean communication, :eusa_whistle: you is usually the second word lol

Married 28years. Advice... marry someone you are very attracted to that you can talk to all night long, and is affectionate; have kids and raise them well; when the fights happen, and they will, don't be an unforgiving jerk.

Forum List

Back