CDZ Actually I kind of like Gary Johnson too

grbb

VIP Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Messages
839
Reaction score
61
Points
80
You in? Sign to support Gary and Bill on the issues.

I am just curious. Why can libertarian wins in governatorial election but not on presidential election?

That being said, I understand pure libertarian-ism is not going to win in democracy. If 1% earn so much and the other 99% earns so little, it's simply common sense for the majority wanting a piece.

Think about it. If you own a stock in a company and the company get rich, you too get profit right? The same way if you own a citizen ship in a country you sort of get a piece.

Republican parties and libertarianism have tried to "sell" the same thing for too long. Guess what? Prices changes.

500 years ago, most people want to hang pickpockets. As prosperity grows, the value of money relative to live drops. So we don't hang pickpockets anymore.

Without robots, slaves are important. As so many time saving technologies show up, not only slavery becomes unpopular, soon, we'll be paying those slaves for doing nothing as Elon Musk said.

Quora Question: What-does-Elon-Musk-think-about-the-universal-basic-income? • /r/BasicIncome

So yea, as we get more and more prosperous, pure libertarianism, where 10% will starve to death will simply don't sell. Too many voters fear that it may happen to them they won't do it.

But libertarianism with a bit of appeasement for those losers can win. The way Trump do it is by protectionism, which is implicit welfare for middle class. The way Obama did it is with real welfare. I think one day Elon Musk idea will get some traction.

In any case, good luck. Whichever you choose, remember, you'll be rich and poor because of you.
 

ChrisL

Diamond Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2014
Messages
83,563
Reaction score
21,968
Points
2,320
Location
Wherever the wild things are!!
You in? Sign to support Gary and Bill on the issues.

I am just curious. Why can libertarian wins in governatorial election but not on presidential election?

That being said, I understand pure libertarian-ism is not going to win in democracy. If 1% earn so much and the other 99% earns so little, it's simply common sense for the majority wanting a piece.

Think about it. If you own a stock in a company and the company get rich, you too get profit right? The same way if you own a citizen ship in a country you sort of get a piece.

Republican parties and libertarianism have tried to "sell" the same thing for too long. Guess what? Prices changes.

500 years ago, most people want to hang pickpockets. As prosperity grows, the value of money relative to live drops. So we don't hang pickpockets anymore.

Without robots, slaves are important. As so many time saving technologies show up, not only slavery becomes unpopular, soon, we'll be paying those slaves for doing nothing as Elon Musk said.

Quora Question: What-does-Elon-Musk-think-about-the-universal-basic-income? • /r/BasicIncome

So yea, as we get more and more prosperous, pure libertarianism, where 10% will starve to death will simply don't sell. Too many voters fear that it may happen to them they won't do it.

But libertarianism with a bit of appeasement for those losers can win. The way Trump do it is by protectionism, which is implicit welfare for middle class. The way Obama did it is with real welfare. I think one day Elon Musk idea will get some traction.

In any case, good luck. Whichever you choose, remember, you'll be rich and poor because of you.
The election is over. Lol.
 
  • Thanks
Reactions: Kat

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2011
Messages
61,629
Reaction score
16,491
Points
2,180
Location
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
You in? Sign to support Gary and Bill on the issues.

I am just curious. Why can libertarian wins in governatorial election but not on presidential election?

That being said, I understand pure libertarian-ism is not going to win in democracy. If 1% earn so much and the other 99% earns so little, it's simply common sense for the majority wanting a piece.

Think about it. If you own a stock in a company and the company get rich, you too get profit right? The same way if you own a citizen ship in a country you sort of get a piece.

Republican parties and libertarianism have tried to "sell" the same thing for too long. Guess what? Prices changes.

500 years ago, most people want to hang pickpockets. As prosperity grows, the value of money relative to live drops. So we don't hang pickpockets anymore.

Without robots, slaves are important. As so many time saving technologies show up, not only slavery becomes unpopular, soon, we'll be paying those slaves for doing nothing as Elon Musk said.

Quora Question: What-does-Elon-Musk-think-about-the-universal-basic-income? • /r/BasicIncome

So yea, as we get more and more prosperous, pure libertarianism, where 10% will starve to death will simply don't sell. Too many voters fear that it may happen to them they won't do it.

But libertarianism with a bit of appeasement for those losers can win. The way Trump do it is by protectionism, which is implicit welfare for middle class. The way Obama did it is with real welfare. I think one day Elon Musk idea will get some traction.

In any case, good luck. Whichever you choose, remember, you'll be rich and poor because of you.
Only thing the Libertarian Party is selling these days is leaner, more efficient, more accountable govt that focuses on the PRIMARY duties that the people have GIVEN to the Government to do.

We're past the "debate society" stage when when we get folks like Gary Johnson and Bill Weld or Ron Paul to join with us. The large MAJORITY of LParty members DO want to offer a more humble and accountable govt. But there are still some who demand so much "purity" of principle -- that they even reject any realistic way of governing because of the immense loss of Civil Liberties and Economic freedom and choice that's already occurred.
 

Picaro

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
19,491
Reaction score
4,370
Points
290
Location
Texas
I'm sure Johnson is a likable guy; I just don't want some guy who is still citing Lord of the Ring stuff at his age running the country. If I did, I would try and get Tommy Chong to run.
 

xyz

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2016
Messages
6,495
Reaction score
797
Points
195
Some of the Libertarian policies are kind of crazy: for example he would give big businesses a free hand to do whatever they want.

Of course, there is the theory that Libertarians could not possibly do this right away, and it would take maybe centuries to implement all Libertarian policies, if at all possible. There is also the danger that this is utopian and would lead to more abuses.

On the other hand, I don't see Libertarians as more dangerous than Trump, I would actually prefer them over Trump in the current context.
 
OP
G

grbb

VIP Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Messages
839
Reaction score
61
Points
80
I've been thinking that morality has a lot to do with economy

Should we kill thieves. If we are poor, then yes. If we are rich, then most people would think that the benefit from killing thieves are far less than the cost of they may actually get killed too.

Of course, the cost will be different between people and people.

If you're a programmer, you would want thieves to get shot because you won't need to resort to pickpocketing anyway.

What about if you don't even have jobs? So some will be conservatives and some will be liberal. They simply have different interests

So basically, libertarianism, or even any other ideology, has a sweet spot depending on circumstances.

Is slavery okay? Imagine a culture with no slavery in ancient time. What would you do to people that don't pay debt? Jail them? Jails are expensive.

Is war rape okay? Imagine a culture with no war rape in ancient time. How do you motivate people to be soldiers? And if you don't have enough soldiers, who gonna vanguish invaders and rape their chicks?

So customs that's unthinkable now may make sense in ancient time. Trying to go libertarian all the way in Israel, for example, would fail miserably. If Israel is libertarian, they would be destroyed by their arab neighbor.
 
OP
G

grbb

VIP Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Messages
839
Reaction score
61
Points
80
Or think it this way. What about minimum wage? If the rest of the world is as rich as US, then raise minimum wage as high as you wish. If the rest of the world is poorer, you can raise minimum wage and jobs would move to china or robots.
 

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2012
Messages
70,930
Reaction score
17,542
Points
2,180
Johnson is the retarded guy you like going to the bar with. About it.
 
OP
G

grbb

VIP Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Messages
839
Reaction score
61
Points
80
he's a wise governor.
 

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List

Top