Actor Alec Baldwin fired prop gun on set of ‘Rust’ that killed cinematographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUN GUYS ---- do you know the answer to this question?

Do blanks look different from live rounds, regular bullets? How would you tell them apart?

I THINK the girl armourer was able to tell them apart, because somewhere I read she immediately went up to the gun after the mishap and got the casing of the shell fired and looked at the other rounds before putting everything away for law enforcement.

The answer to this question may mean she did not load that bullet, somebody else did, if they are easy to tell apart, as surely they ought to be.

Do blanks look different from live rounds, regular bullets? How would you tell them apart?

I THINK the girl armourer was able to tell them apart, because somewhere I read she immediately went up to the gun after the mishap and got the casing of the shell fired and looked at the other rounds before putting everything away for law enforcement.

The answer to this question may mean she did not load that bullet, somebody else did, if they are easy to tell apart, as surely they ought to be.

Yes, depending on who made them they are either crimped brass (Joe Swanson) or a solid brass casing with a hole in the end, and a paper cap (everyone else).

There is no possible way to confuse a live round from a blank.

Dummy rounds, though, can. If they are made by a moron, they can be confused for a live round.

dozens of hollywood western actors have had thousands of gun scenes with no problem... and along comes baldwin
Been gobs of weapons accident on movie sets. It is not new, everything from bullet wounds, to powder burns, deafness. I have seen people supposedly clear their weapon, point it into a sand barrel pull the trigger, and it fired. Trained people even make mistakes. He is an anti-gun guy. I doubt he really knows that much about them and just point where he's told and fires his blanks. The particular weapon (and it was a real weapon) was being used as a "prop", but it wasn't a "prop" gun. A lot of guns on movie sets won't even accept a live round as they are chambered smaller to only accept special sized blank cartridges as a safety feature. The crew had used this exact gun out back of the movie set plinking at targets, although I don't think it was the day of the accident. That means live round were accepted to be on the site of the set. You just don't have live and dummies anywhere near each other and certainly not on a movie set, because somebody will likely screw up and put the wrong ammo in sooner or later. No big deal if they are shooting at paper targets and find out they aren't hitting because they are shooting blanks. It's a big deal if supposed to be shooting blanks and you actually have live rounds. On a revolver of any type, you could open the cylinder and not know the difference between a life round and a blank without dropping the round in your hand and looking for the crimped end, instead of the lead bullet sticking out. They are not going to have goofy actor unload and reload every blank round they shoot and have policy to announce status of the weapon when handing it out on the set.
Do I think Baldwin is a weapons dummy. Yes. Did he cause this. No. Is he going to be held responsible? You bet your sweet ass he is. He was also producer of the movie, as in management. He will undoubtably be named in multiple lawsuits, and better have good insurance and deep pockets.

Been gobs of weapons accident on movie sets. It is not new, everything from bullet wounds, to powder burns, deafness. I have seen people supposedly clear their weapon, point it into a sand barrel pull the trigger, and it fired. Trained people even make mistakes. He is an anti-gun guy. I doubt he really knows that much about them and just point where he's told and fires his blanks. The particular weapon (and it was a real weapon) was being used as a "prop", but it wasn't a "prop" gun. A lot of guns on movie sets won't even accept a live round as they are chambered smaller to only accept special sized blank cartridges as a safety feature. The crew had used this exact gun out back of the movie set plinking at targets, although I don't think it was the day of the accident. That means live round were accepted to be on the site of the set. You just don't have live and dummies anywhere near each other and certainly not on a movie set, because somebody will likely screw up and put the wrong ammo in sooner or later. No big deal if they are shooting at paper targets and find out they aren't hitting because they are shooting blanks. It's a big deal if supposed to be shooting blanks and you actually have live rounds. On a revolver of any type, you could open the cylinder and not know the difference between a life round and a blank without dropping the round in your hand and looking for the crimped end, instead of the lead bullet sticking out. They are not going to have goofy actor unload and reload every blank round they shoot and have policy to announce status of the weapon when handing it out on the set.
Do I think Baldwin is a weapons dummy. Yes. Did he cause this. No. Is he going to be held responsible? You bet your sweet ass he is. He was also producer of the movie, as in management. He will undoubtably be named in multiple lawsuits, and better have good insurance and deep pockets.

If it is true that they were plinking with the gun that is just incredibly reckless. No propmaster I know would ever allow live rounds anywhere near a set. It simply isn't done.

1) hahaha more racism from the plantation boy.
Coming from the woman who stays on her knees.
2) no they we’re deeply investigated…they “didn’t get away “ with anything there was just nothing to charge them with.
Oh yea they got away with a lot.
3) white libs get a pass, no probe…hence white lib privilege.
Just like white conservatives, hell we saw that over the last 4yrs.
4) Clinton was in a position to prosecute, instead he took advantage of the sex slaves

Trump knew the guy.

there is the math…and i showed my work.
Trump more than knew the man, the 2 hung out together Trump even told you that.

pknopp
I couldn't agree more. All the firearms training I've ever received has clearly stated.

Never point a gun at someone unless you are prepared to pull the trigger. That includes unloaded guns.

From what I am reading I doubt Alex Baldwin has any criminal culpability. He was rehearsing a scene. He was handed a firearm that was declared to be a “cold gun.” This procedure was probably routine, and one that Baldwin had heard many times before. This does not mean he may not face civil liability because of different standards of proof. Also there is no doubt that someone on that set will face criminal prosecution. Someone was either criminally negligent or had criminal intent by loading that gun with a live round.

Last edited:
Ultimately though, Baldwin is not going to be held responsible. He had a reasonable expectation of the people working on set, just as he has for decades and for the 1000s of other times he has discharged prop weapons on set. But we will almost certainly see some changes in the way that they do things.
He was responsible for the set---one way or the other he is responsible for the shooting.

If it is true that they were plinking with the gun that is just incredibly reckless. No propmaster I know would ever allow live rounds anywhere near a set. It simply isn't done.
I've never met one, but would be my guess, too. I wouldn't.

Normally the enmd of the brass casing is crimped, where a "regular bullet" would have, well, a bullet...

Yes, depending on who made them they are either crimped brass (Joe Swanson) or a solid brass casing with a hole in the end, and a paper cap (everyone else).

There is no possible way to confuse a live round from a blank.

Dummy rounds, though, can. If they are made by a moron, they can be confused for a live round.
Thank you! So I'd say the armourer did not put that live bullet in the gun. She could certainly tell the difference. Somebody else slipped one blank out and the live one in. I bet they find out who ---- I hope so, anyway.

Thank you! So I'd say the armourer did not put that live bullet in the gun. She could certainly tell the difference. Somebody else slipped one blank out and the live one in. I bet they find out who ---- I hope so, anyway.

Based on the fact they were using the guns for target practice the propmaster is still culpable.

You simply don't allow that to happen. Propmasters who have had requests from crew to shoot the guns will wait till after the show has wrapped, then the crew can shoot up the blanks that are left over. But there are NO LIVE ROUNDS ANYWHERE!

Allowing the crew to handle the guns while the show is filming is unprofessional as hell.

It seems the actual experts disagree with the internet experts.
You mean, one expert.
He was responsible for the set---one way or the other he is responsible for the shooting.
Not criminally. You will see.

pknopp you can thumbs down and stick your head in the sand all you like.

But this expert with about ten times the resume of your expert says while it is rare for guns to be pointed at people on sets, it does happen.

pknopp you can thumbs down and stick your head in the sand all you like.

But this expert with about ten times the resume of your expert says while it is rare for guns to be pointed at people on sets, it does happen.

A gun that can shoot a projectile through one person into another person is not a "prop gun". It's a gun.

One would also think the movie industry would learn something sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back