Abortion Legislation We Can Look Forward To If SCOTUS Favors Mississippi and Texas Laws

That will never happen. Fearmongering horseshit.
In a purely legal, Constitutional context Roe v. Wade was not a ‘landmark’ decision – it was the appropriate, logical, warranted progeny of Griswold and Eisenstadt, codifying a right to privacy, a woman’s reproductive autonomy, and limiting the authority of the state to interfere in personal, private matters, such as whether to have a child or not; individuals know best about how to conduct their lives, not government.

The Court must therefore be consistent in overturning settled, accepted precedent, which means both Griswold and Eisenstadt will likewise be abandoned.

It is possible the Supreme Court will find a way to allow the Mississippi ban on abortion after 15 weeks to stand without completely overturning Roe V. Wade, but it would have to be some really twisted verbiage.

If Roe v. Wade is overturned, and the abortion issue is returned to the individual states to create their own abortion laws, there are several pieces of legislation we can expect to see around the country. I will phrase each one as a question that will be put to the people.

1. Exceptions for rape?

2. Exceptions for incest?

4. Exception for the health of the mother?

5. Partner must be notified of mother's desire for an abortion?

6. 24 hour waiting period?

7. Parental consent for a minor's abortion?

A majority of Americans are in favor of all of these exemptions and restrictions.

The biggest question will be how many weeks into pregnancy will abortion be banned. A super-majority of Americans are opposed to abortions after the first trimester.

Just some stuff to think about.

(edited to delete redundant question)
You failed to point out that the majority of Americans don't want Roe messed with at all...

Yep. Nearly half of all abortions are the result of NO birth control being used during sex. Another fifth were women who used birth control improperly or inconsistently.

We clearly need more contraception education and encouragement. Public service announcements.
It is the only thing that is actually proven to reduce abortions. Making them illegal doesn't. Rich white women will continue to get them, poor and minority women will die or be rendered unable to have children due to back alley or home abortions. Aren't the 50s fun?

You failed to point out that the majority of Americans don't want Roe messed with at all...
As I have said and shown many, many times, half of Americans self-identify as pro-life and half identify as pro-choice.

A supermajority oppose abortion after the first trimester. That is in direct opposition to Roe v. Wade. So an awful lot of people who call themselves pro-choice are actually opposed to the reach of Roe v Wade.

Therefore, the list I provided in the OP will be in play should that decision be overturned.

It is the only thing that is actually proven to reduce abortions. Making them illegal doesn't. Rich white women will continue to get them, poor and minority women will die or be rendered unable to have children due to back alley or home abortions. Aren't the 50s fun?
Yes, I said in this topic, and I have said it in every abortion topic, that the number of abortions prior to Roe v Wade was almost the same as the number of abortions after Roe v. Wade, and that overturning that decision will not have much effect on the number of abortions.

I think many pro-lifers will be shocked and surprised by this should an overturn occur.

I believe it should be overturned as a matter of conscience and morality.

Then the states can individually decide the issues in the OP.

But the REAL solution to the abortion problem is contraception education and encouragement. We need more. Much more.

Correct.

Women of means and with resources will merely travel to free states where the right to privacy is still recognized.

This is yet another example of incompetent, bad-faith governance by Republicans where only poor and low-income women are harmed.

Correct.

Women of means and with resources will merely travel to free states where the right to privacy is still recognized.

This is yet another example of incompetent, bad-faith governance by Republicans where only poor and low-income women are harmed.
Prior to Roe v Wade, many doctors in pro-life states merely signed off on an abortion using the "health of the mother" exemption. Abortion was almost as widely available then as it is now.

Prior to Roe v Wade, many doctors in pro-life states merely signed off on an abortion using the "health of the mother" exemption. Abortion was almost as widely available then as it is now.
What a rosy picture you paint.

You say and imply there was no issue getting abortions prior to Roe v Wade.

And you insist there is no traction in this country for punishing women who get abortions.

I sense a pattern. Do you think anyone believes you?

And many women attempted to self induce and many women went to providers in other States they had never met and had to sneak around to meet in allies and in basements. And many women who wanted abortions were forced to carry to term.

Here is legislation already written and on the books that we can expect immediately, if Roe v Wade is overturned:

Yep. And we see who voted against it and who tried to repeal it. And we see who is against abortion rights. Nearly perfect overlap.
I am opposed to Obamacare for many reasons, but not that one.

What a rosy picture you paint.

You say and imply there was no issue getting abortions prior to Roe v Wade.

And you insist there is no traction in this country for punishing women who get abortions.

I sense a pattern. Do you think anyone believes you?
You can choose to believe the facts or you can choose not to.

See? I'm pro-choice!

Those are not facts, and nobody believes you. I doubt you even fool yourself with this weak propaganda.
You literally cannot handle the truth. I said it is a fact that no one prosecuted the mothers for abortion prior to Roe v Wade and all indications are they won't if/when Roe v. Wade is overturned.

I then showed that even the most extreme pro-life law in the country exempts women who get abortions from prosecution in the law itself.

You then tried to provide a hoax which said women in Georgia are punished for getting an abortion. I then asked you to tell me where in the law that bullshit is, and linked to the law. NO response from you.

You are trapped in your biases. Nothing I can do about that.

It is possible the Supreme Court will find a way to allow the Mississippi ban on abortion after 15 weeks to stand without completely overturning Roe V. Wade, but it would have to be some really twisted verbiage.

If Roe v. Wade is overturned, and the abortion issue is returned to the individual states to create their own abortion laws, there are several pieces of legislation we can expect to see around the country. I will phrase each one as a question that will be put to the people.

1. Exceptions for rape?

2. Exceptions for incest?

4. Exception for the health of the mother?

5. Partner must be notified of mother's desire for an abortion?

6. 24 hour waiting period?

7. Parental consent for a minor's abortion?

A majority of Americans are in favor of all of these exemptions and restrictions.

The biggest question will be how many weeks into pregnancy will abortion be banned. A super-majority of Americans are opposed to abortions after the first trimester.

(edited to delete redundant question)

How about abortion is a matter between a woman and her doctor. This is sharia law.

What are you going to do about about the birth defects and handicapped children who will be born?

You literally cannot handle the truth. I said it is a fact that no one prosecuted the mothers for abortion prior to Roe v Wade and all indications are they won't if/when Roe v. Wade is overturned.

I then showed that even the most extreme pro-life law in the country exempts women who get abortions from prosecution in the law itself.

You then tried to provide a hoax which said women in Georgia are punished for getting an abortion. I then asked you to tell me where in the law that bullshit is, and linked to the law. NO response from you.

You are trapped in your biases. Nothing I can do about that.

I am disgusted that you are gleeful that women will lose the right to control their own bodies. This is government slavery for women.

I am disgusted that you are gleeful that women will lose the right to control their own bodies. This is government slavery for women.
They are losing the ability to murder an unborn child. THAT is the body involved in an abortion.

I agree. There will be a LOT that needs to be carefully considered if Roe is effectively overturned. FIRST, there should be a ban on media stories pushing the divisive narrative that "the right to choose" has been taken away. That's a lie. The only change that would come from overturning Roe would be that the Feds get their nose out of an issue that should be handled according to the will of the majority in each state. I would go so far as to find fault with TX because they want to truly outlaw the choice of their citizens even to go to another state for the abortion.

IMO, that should not be criminalized. We've heard an endless wailing about planned parenthood being a health provider for the poor so let them make that clear by offering to transport and provide medical services to women outside their own state. IOW, put up or shut up and no Federal dollars at all.

Forum List

Back