Abortion Legislation We Can Look Forward To If SCOTUS Favors Mississippi and Texas Laws

If Roe v Wade is overturned, I do not expect the number of abortions to decrease. Prior to Roe v. Wade, there were almost as many abortions as there were after Roe v. Wade.
What will be reduced are SAFE abortions.

What's the point if abortions aren't reduced in number?

You just want to punish women huh?

It is possible the Supreme Court will find a way to allow the Mississippi ban on abortion after 15 weeks to stand without completely overturning Roe V. Wade, but it would have to be some really twisted verbiage.

If Roe v. Wade is overturned, and the abortion issue is returned to the individual states to create their own abortion laws, there are several pieces of legislation we can expect to see around the country. I will phrase each one as a question that will be put to the people.

1. Exceptions for rape?

2. Exceptions for incest?

4. Exception for the health of the mother?

5. Partner must be notified of mother's desire for an abortion?

6. 24 hour waiting period?

7. Parental consent for a minor's abortion?

A majority of Americans are in favor of all of these exemptions and restrictions.

The biggest question will be how many weeks into pregnancy will abortion be banned. A super-majority of Americans are opposed to abortions after the first trimester.

Just some stuff to think about.

(edited to delete redundant question)
I am betting that the law stands and Roberts rules with the majority so he can write the decision in a manner that allows Roe to stand.

Even if it takes him giving no logical road to follow at all.

In a purely legal, Constitutional context Roe v. Wade was not a ‘landmark’ decision – it was the appropriate, logical, warranted progeny of Griswold and Eisenstadt, codifying a right to privacy, a woman’s reproductive autonomy, and limiting the authority of the state to interfere in personal, private matters, such as whether to have a child or not; individuals know best about how to conduct their lives, not government.

The Court must therefore be consistent in overturning settled, accepted precedent, which means both Griswold and Eisenstadt will likewise be abandoned.
Row was a shit decision and EVERYONE knows it. It certainly was not 'appropriate, logical, warranted' in any shape or form.

All sides recognize that it was a poor legal decision. Even those that want to see it stand can see that it was not well laid out.

Row was a shit decision and EVERYONE knows it. It certainly was not 'appropriate, logical, warranted' in any shape or form.

All sides recognize that it was a poor legal decision. Even those that want to see it stand can see that it was not well laid out.
Conservatives once believed in limited government and individual liberty – but that was more than 50 years ago.

Conservatives once believed in limited government and individual liberty – but that was more than 50 years ago.
And liberals used to believe in the protection of rights and freedom of speech - but that was decades ago as well.

And neither of those statements have squat to do with the fact that Row was a poorly concluded case, your sidestepping declaring it otherwise does not change that.

States cannot ban abortion pills from out of state. Once it crosses state lines, it becomes a federal issue.

Not true. Federal law prevents people from mailing something into a jurisdiction where said thing is illegal. Plus the person getting it is still in the State and thus has to follow that States law.

And liberals used to believe in the protection of rights and freedom of speech - but that was decades ago as well.

And neither of those statements have squat to do with the fact that Row was a poorly concluded case, your sidestepping declaring it otherwise does not change that.
Well thanks for your opinion counselor

But it WAS settled law. For over 45 years.

Plessey was "settled law" for longer. I guess they should have honored precedent and not ruled on Brown v. Board of Ed to strike Plessey down.

We get it. You WANT forced birth.

Actually I'm in NY so no laws will change, and I'm fine with that. My argument with Abortion is mostly that Roe was a terrible decision that did nothing to quell the argument over abortion.

I figure if you want an elective abortion, 20 weeks is enough time to figure it out. After that there has to be a medical reason, and not "I don't want it" as a reason.

Plus elective abortions are out of pocket, not paid for by the government, and anyone under 18 who wants one either has to have parental approval (or at least notification) or a State ward give the go ahead.

With the availability of birth control elective abortions shouldn't happen unless you are irresponsible idiots.

It is possible the Supreme Court will find a way to allow the Mississippi ban on abortion after 15 weeks to stand without completely overturning Roe V. Wade, but it would have to be some really twisted verbiage.

If Roe v. Wade is overturned, and the abortion issue is returned to the individual states to create their own abortion laws, there are several pieces of legislation we can expect to see around the country. I will phrase each one as a question that will be put to the people.

1. Exceptions for rape?

2. Exceptions for incest?

4. Exception for the health of the mother?

5. Partner must be notified of mother's desire for an abortion?

6. 24 hour waiting period?

7. Parental consent for a minor's abortion?

A majority of Americans are in favor of all of these exemptions and restrictions.

The biggest question will be how many weeks into pregnancy will abortion be banned. A super-majority of Americans are opposed to abortions after the first trimester.

Just some stuff to think about.

(edited to delete redundant question)

A law which codifies Roe v. Wade has already passed the House. It will be sent to the Senate for passage and signature into law. This new law will nullify any attempts by the states to restrict access to abortion, prior to viability.

If such a law is not passed, the Republicans can expect that the 80% of Americans who agree with Roe, will deliver a bloodbath to the Republican Party.

One in four American women has an abortion in her lifetime. All of us know the day may come when we need an abortion, either because of rape, genetic abnormalities, to save the life of the mother, or because of unforeseen circumstances.

If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one, but forcing women to have babies they don't want or can't afford is the denying women their God given right of "free will". Ironic that you don't want to be forced to have a vaccination, but you would force women to have an unwanted child.

Sure it did. It's just that people like you never give up and cynical politicians use that

No, it didn't and the fact that it still being argued is proof of that.

It's amazing how easy it is for SJW morons like you to ignore reality you don't like.

Does not matter. It was STILL a poor decision. It does not surprise me that you are unaware of the WIDE support for the idea. I am not the 'counselor' declaring it a poor decision, people well versed in the law call are doing it. Even Ginsburg, a champion of women's rights, thought it was a poor decision:

Like I clearly said, supporters of Roe acknowledge it was a poor decision as well. The court did a very poor job deciding the case all around.

A law which codifies Roe v. Wade has already passed the House. It will be sent to the Senate for passage and signature into law.
And should that measure be signed into law, it will be struck down by a reactionary Supreme Court dominated by conservative ideologues who have nothing but contempt for settled, accepted precedent and the will of the American people.

Conservatives want more government, bigger government at the expense of individual liberty.

Conservatives want to use the authority of the state to compel conformity and punish dissent.

Again, it’s the tyranny of the neo-fascist right – overturning Roe/Casey is just the beginning.

A law which codifies Roe v. Wade has already passed the House. It will be sent to the Senate for passage and signature into law. This new law will nullify any attempts by the states to restrict access to abortion, prior to viability.

If such a law is not passed, the Republicans can expect that the 80% of Americans who agree with Roe, will deliver a bloodbath to the Republican Party.

One in four American women has an abortion in her lifetime. All of us know the day may come when we need an abortion, either because of rape, genetic abnormalities, to save the life of the mother, or because of unforeseen circumstances.

If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one, but forcing women to have babies they don't want or can't afford is the denying women their God given right of "free will". Ironic that you don't want to be forced to have a vaccination, but you would force women to have an unwanted child.

The House districts and the States Republicans want to take back support some restrictions on abortion, even if mininal.

All Roe does is throws the issue back to the States.

The House districts and the States Republicans want to take back support some restrictions on abortion, even if mininal.

All Roe does is throws the issue back to the States.
Actually I'm in NY so no laws will change, and I'm fine with that. My argument with Abortion is mostly that Roe was a terrible decision that did nothing to quell the argument over abortion.

I figure if you want an elective abortion, 20 weeks is enough time to figure it out. After that there has to be a medical reason, and not "I don't want it" as a reason.

Plus elective abortions are out of pocket, not paid for by the government, and anyone under 18 who wants one either has to have parental approval (or at least notification) or a State ward give the go ahead.

With the availability of birth control elective abortions shouldn't happen unless you are irresponsible idiots.

You can't have genetic testing before 20 weeks and it take 3 - 5 weeks for results. 20 weeks is not long enough.

The most serious form of infant deformity often do not become apparent until late in term. Those are the most heartbreaking abortions because those of the children who are most wanted.

New Topics

Forum List

Back