A sign of the times

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
I couldn't think of a better title for the thread:

The Missouri Court of Appeals upheld a woman's $5.2 million settlement from Geico over a sexually transmitted disease she contracted in a car.

The ruling came Tuesday after a Jackson County Circuit Court arbitration agreement came out in her favor. Geico subsequently appealed the first ruling and has plans to take this latest ruling to federal court.

The woman, identified only as M.O. in court documents, contracted HPV, the human papillomavirus, from an insured Geico member in his car. She alleged he knew he had the virus but had unprotected sex with her in his car anyway. As a result, the woman notified Geico she would be seeking damages from the company in February 2021.

An arbitrator found the insured man liable for not disclosing his viral status, and the settlement amount was allotted in the Jackson County Circuit Court. Geico was ordered to pay the damages.

The three-judge panel in the Missouri Court of Appeals ruled that the insurance company could not "relitigate those issues" and upheld the lower court's decision to deny the insurer's motions.

Geico claims its right to due process is violated by the judgment.

The company argues that this claim is not covered by its policy.

I can see taking the guy to court, but the car insurance company? Wow. How is any of that their fault? How can they be held liable? Unbelievable.

I couldn't think of a better title for the thread:

The Missouri Court of Appeals upheld a woman's $5.2 million settlement from Geico over a sexually transmitted disease she contracted in a car.

The ruling came Tuesday after a Jackson County Circuit Court arbitration agreement came out in her favor. Geico subsequently appealed the first ruling and has plans to take this latest ruling to federal court.

The woman, identified only as M.O. in court documents, contracted HPV, the human papillomavirus, from an insured Geico member in his car. She alleged he knew he had the virus but had unprotected sex with her in his car anyway. As a result, the woman notified Geico she would be seeking damages from the company in February 2021.

An arbitrator found the insured man liable for not disclosing his viral status, and the settlement amount was allotted in the Jackson County Circuit Court. Geico was ordered to pay the damages.

The three-judge panel in the Missouri Court of Appeals ruled that the insurance company could not "relitigate those issues" and upheld the lower court's decision to deny the insurer's motions.

Geico claims its right to due process is violated by the judgment.

The company argues that this claim is not covered by its policy.

I can see taking the guy to court, but the car insurance company? Wow. How is any of that their fault? How can they be held liable? Unbelievable.
I can't see it as an auto liability claim either.

There's a couple of threads on this already. sorry guys.

I would have to read the policy myself to make that determination.

A lot of these auto-policies claim to have comprehensive health care coverage for ANY health complication the results as use of the automobile. . . and though I myself do not agree with such a reading. . .

. . do seem to remember that the police can ticket you and arrest you for drunk driving, just by being intoxicated and being parked in your car, while sleeping it off.

So. . . . it would seem, if it is good for the STATE, and the establishment to ticket and imprison you for such nonsense, there is precedent, and a good lawyer would probably be able to litigate such a case, depending on the language of the policy.

Whoever has the deep pockets is targeted. If the sex had occurred on a public park bench the city would have been sued.

Don't have unprotected sex. If you do anything that happens as a result is your fault and no one else's. It isn't like diseases or pregnancy are a mystery to anyone.

And anyone willing to fuck someone in a car is a sure sign they shouldn't be trusted. In fact, no one should be trusted when it comes to sex. Rubbers are free and can be mailed to your house, there is no excuse.

Any sensible judge would throw that shit out.

Don't have unprotected sex. If you do anything that happens as a result is your fault and no one else's. It isn't like diseases or pregnancy are a mystery to anyone.

And anyone willing to fuck someone in a car is a sure sign they shouldn't be trusted. In fact, no one should be trusted when it comes to sex. Rubbers are free and can be mailed to your house, there is no excuse.

Any sensible judge would throw that shit out.
I tried them. They always broke. :(

Forum List

Back