A Muslim Historian Describes Jesus

Not to mention He said his Kingdom was not of this world........oooops

"My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting to save me from arrest; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

He said that IF IT WERE his followers would be fighting to save him from arrest which to me seems to reflect disappointment that all of his followers ran away and left him flapping in the wind.

"My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting to save me from arrest; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

He said that IF IT WERE his followers would be fighting to save him from arrest which to me seems to reflect disappointment that all of his followers ran away and left him flapping in the wind.

Both of you miss Aslan's point.

As an historian, not a theologian, he is claiming that the New Testament is slanted away from Jesus's actual message to prevent Rome from determining that it must wipe out the Jewish/Christian movement.

BTW....early on, there was very little difference between Judaism and Christianity, to the extent that one could drift back and forth between them.

I have relatives who saw ancient Jewish stars and crosses together in places in Egypt.

As an historian, not a theologian, he is claiming that the New Testament is slanted away from Jesus's actual message to prevent Rome from determining that it must wipe out the Jewish/Christian movement.

BTW....early on, there was very little difference between Judaism and Christianity, to the extent that one could drift back and forth between them.

I have relatives who saw ancient Jewish stars and crosses together in places in Egypt.
Course he was disappointed......but he knew they were going to run away and told them so. He also didn't charge them to battle the Romans but to preach the word.

Course he was disappointed......but he knew they were going to run away and told them so. He also didn't charge them to battle the Romans but to preach the word.

4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God,an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.
Romans 13:4

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Matthew 10:34

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
Luke 22:36

Care to explain how his followers got it all wrong......

Post #22....

That's not getting it wrong....if Aslan is correct, it is a clearly delineated plan for survival.

I don't believe Jesus was a revolutionary or had any interest in opposing the Romans. It was the Jewish theocracy he had problems with. Jesus was an apocalyptic Jew who believed that "God's Kingdom" was imminent, as did Paul, and that God would soon bring a golden age. God would end the Roman Empire, Jews didn't have to lift a finger against Rome.

I don't believe Jesus was a revolutionary or had any interest in opposing the Romans. It was the Jewish theocracy he had problems with. Jesus was an apocalyptic Jew who believed that "God's Kingdom" was imminent, as did Paul, and that God would soon bring a golden age. God would end the Roman Empire, Jews didn't have to lift a finger against Rome.

Your position gains some support from Ezekiel 25:17.....

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those
who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you
."

Aslan's thesis deals with this question.....if Jesus was a revolutionary, a rebel against Roman/secular rule....why would the writers of the Gospels...alter the nature of His message?

Here is his answer:

6."Then, in 70 C.E., the Romans returned. ....

.... the soldiers breached the city walls and unleashed an orgy of violence upon its residents. They butchered everyone in their path, heaping corpses on the Temple Mount. A river of blood flowed down the cobblestone streets. When the massacre was complete, the soldiers set fire to the Temple of God. The fires spread beyond the Temple Mount, engulfing Jerusalem’s meadows, the farms, the olive trees. Everything burned.

So complete was the devastation wrought upon the holy city that Josephus writes there was nothing left to prove Jerusalem had ever been inhabited. Tens of thousands of Jews were slaughtered. The rest were marched out of the city in chains.

7. The spiritual trauma faced by the Jews in the wake of that catastrophic event is hard to imagine. Exiled from the land promised them by God, forced to live as outcasts among the pagans of the Roman Empire, the rabbis of the second century gradually and deliberately divorced Judaism from the radical messianic nationalism that had launched the ill-fated war with Rome. The Torah replaced the Temple in the center of Jewish life, and rabbinic Judaism emerged." "Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,"
byReza Aslan

The devastation was so great that the elites could not allow another rebellion against Rome.
While the Jews made up a tenth of the Roman empire....they were no match for the Roman forces.

Jews pretty much destroyed themselves with a civil war, then Titus stepped in, and also the Jews wanted Jesus dead, not Rome but they did it to appease the Jews. This is also all in Josephus about the war..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicarii

Victims of the Sicarii included Jonathan the High Priest, although it is possible that his murder was orchestrated by the Roman governor Antonius Felix. Some murders were met with severe retaliation by the Romans on the entire Jewish population of the country. On some occasions, the Sicarii could be bribed to spare their intended victims. Once, Josephus relates, after kidnapping the secretary of Eleazar, governor of the Temple precincts, they agreed to release him in exchange for the release of ten of their captured assassins.

At the beginning of the First Jewish–Roman War, the Sicarii, and (possibly) Zealot helpers (Josephus differentiated between the two but did not explain the main differences in depth), gained access to Jerusalem and committed a series of atrocities in order to force the population to war. In one account, given in the Talmud, they destroyed the city's food supply so that the people would be forced to fight against the Roman siege instead of negotiating peace. Their leaders, including Menahem ben Yehuda and Eleazar ben Ya'ir, were important figures in the war, and the group fought in many battles against the Romans as soldiers. Together with a small group of followers, Menahem made his way to the fortress of Masada, took over a Roman garrison and slaughtered all 700 soldiers there. They also took over another fortress called Antonia and overpowered the troops of Agrippa II. He also trained them to conduct various guerrilla operations on Roman convoys and legions stationed around Judea.[5]

Josephus also wrote that the Sicarii (Jews)raided nearby Jewish villages including Ein Gedi, where they massacred 700 women and children.[7][8][9][10]

The Zealots, Sicarii and other prominent revolutionaries finally joined forces to attack and successfully liberate Jerusalem in 66 AD,[11] where they took control of the Temple in Jerusalem, executing anyone who tried to usurp their power. The local populace grew tired of their control and launched a series of sieges and raids to remove the radical factions. The radicals eventually silenced the uprising and Jerusalem stayed in their hands for the duration of the war.[12] The Romans finally came to take back the city, and they led counter-attacks and sieges to starve the rebels inside. The rebels held for a considerable amount of time, but the constant bickering and the lack of leadership led the groups to disintegrate.[11] The leader of the Sicarii, Menahem, was murdered by rival factions during an altercation. Soon, the Romans stepped in and finally destroyed the whole city in 70 AD.

Last edited:
Aslan's thesis deals with this question.....if Jesus was a revolutionary, a rebel against Roman/secular rule....why would the writers of the Gospels...alter the nature of His message?

Here is his answer:

6."Then, in 70 C.E., the Romans returned. ....

.... the soldiers breached the city walls and unleashed an orgy of violence upon its residents. They butchered everyone in their path, heaping corpses on the Temple Mount. A river of blood flowed down the cobblestone streets. When the massacre was complete, the soldiers set fire to the Temple of God. The fires spread beyond the Temple Mount, engulfing Jerusalem’s meadows, the farms, the olive trees. Everything burned.

So complete was the devastation wrought upon the holy city that Josephus writes there was nothing left to prove Jerusalem had ever been inhabited. Tens of thousands of Jews were slaughtered. The rest were marched out of the city in chains.

7. The spiritual trauma faced by the Jews in the wake of that catastrophic event is hard to imagine. Exiled from the land promised them by God, forced to live as outcasts among the pagans of the Roman Empire, the rabbis of the second century gradually and deliberately divorced Judaism from the radical messianic nationalism that had launched the ill-fated war with Rome. The Torah replaced the Temple in the center of Jewish life, and rabbinic Judaism emerged." "Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,"
byReza Aslan

The devastation was so great that the elites could not allow another rebellion against Rome.
While the Jews made up a tenth of the Roman empire....they were no match for the Roman forces.

Jews pretty much destroyed themselves with a civil war, then Titus stepped in, and also the Jews wanted Jesus dead, not Rome but they did it to appease the Jews. This is also all in Josephus about the war..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicarii

Victims of the Sicarii included Jonathan the High Priest, although it is possible that his murder was orchestrated by the Roman governor Antonius Felix. Some murders were met with severe retaliation by the Romans on the entire Jewish population of the country. On some occasions, the Sicarii could be bribed to spare their intended victims. Once, Josephus relates, after kidnapping the secretary of Eleazar, governor of the Temple precincts, they agreed to release him in exchange for the release of ten of their captured assassins.

At the beginning of the First Jewish–Roman War, the Sicarii, and (possibly) Zealot helpers (Josephus differentiated between the two but did not explain the main differences in depth), gained access to Jerusalem and committed a series of atrocities in order to force the population to war. In one account, given in the Talmud, they destroyed the city's food supply so that the people would be forced to fight against the Roman siege instead of negotiating peace. Their leaders, including Menahem ben Yehuda and Eleazar ben Ya'ir, were important figures in the war, and the group fought in many battles against the Romans as soldiers. Together with a small group of followers, Menahem made his way to the fortress of Masada, took over a Roman garrison and slaughtered all 700 soldiers there. They also took over another fortress called Antonia and overpowered the troops of Agrippa II. He also trained them to conduct various guerrilla operations on Roman convoys and legions stationed around Judea.[5]

Josephus also wrote that the Sicarii (Jews)raided nearby Jewish villages including Ein Gedi, where they massacred 700 women and children.[7][8][9][10]

The Zealots, Sicarii and other prominent revolutionaries finally joined forces to attack and successfully liberate Jerusalem in 66 AD,[11] where they took control of the Temple in Jerusalem, executing anyone who tried to usurp their power. The local populace grew tired of their control and launched a series of sieges and raids to remove the radical factions. The radicals eventually silenced the uprising and Jerusalem stayed in their hands for the duration of the war.[12] The Romans finally came to take back the city, and they led counter-attacks and sieges to starve the rebels inside. The rebels held for a considerable amount of time, but the constant bickering and the lack of leadership led the groups to disintegrate.[11] The leader of the Sicarii, Menahem, was murdered by rival factions during an altercation. Soon, the Romans stepped in and finally destroyed the whole city in 70 AD.

"Jews pretty much destroyed themselves..."

WHAT?????

This must be the winner in the category of "Unintentional Humor."

Aren't you usually complaining about the 'power' of the Jews????

I believe that I once read that there has been more written about Jesus, and Hamlet, than about any other 'persons' in history.

Aslan's re-conception of the historical Jesus certainly adds to the discussion.

So you still support the jihadi jesus......His message was clear.....hiding true intent wouldnt those who didnt decipher it have a legitimate beef on judgement day

having left without physical adornments for future posterity and being crucified leads to the conclusion Jesus's message was purely religious and of an assumed natural character people would need only practice to bring to fruition - no scriptures required.

and in the end misunderstood the Almighty.

I did not mean to suggest that Jesus expected a small band of bewildered peasants whose world had been turned upside down by his teachings to wage an armed conflict against the Romans just because he was arrested. If thats what Jesus was expecting he really would have been out of his mind. I was just pointing out his wording. He seems to be saying that this world was not worthy of his kingdom at that time, "as it is" because they did not stand their ground or fight in any way to save him from arrest when all that would have been required of them to do was exactly what you correctly said that Jesus did tell them to do. Explain his teaching.

They eventually did do just that but thats like being a dollar short and a day late or trying to leaven bread without the yeast.

Makes me think that if they did it when it mattered most, his kingdom could have in theory become one with the kingdoms of the world at that time, which means it could potentially happen at any time, even now, without any violence or the shedding of blood, as long as people don't make the same mistake twice if ever he reappears..

Last edited:
So you still support the jihadi jesus......His message was clear.....hiding true intent wouldnt those who didnt decipher it have a legitimate beef on judgement day

So you are still unable to understand these passages..

4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God,an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

having left without physical adornments for future posterity and being crucified leads to the conclusion Jesus's message was purely religious and of an assumed natural character people would need only practice to bring to fruition - no scriptures required.

and in the end misunderstood the Almighty.

This would be the post of one unable to consider the scriptures in connection with other historical events.

The sword that Jesus said that he came to bring was a curse under the appearance of a cup of wine..

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them." Jeremiah 25:15

I think that would be all you...you buy a screed by someone who doesn't even get Christ right much less his message

Forum List

Back