Ohio governor calls special session to fix 'unacceptable' holdup getting Biden on the ballot

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine on Thursday called a special session for the state's Legislature to get President Joe Biden on the ballot this November, saying his patience has "run out" with his fellow Republicans who appear less than inclined to offer a legislative fix for a timing problem with the Democratic convention.

“The Legislature had [a] session yesterday and again failed to take any action. This is simply unacceptable,” DeWine said in remarks to the press. “Ohio is running out of time to get Joe Biden, the sitting president of the United States, on the ballot this fall. Failing to do so is simply not acceptable. This is a ridiculous — this is an absurd situation.”

“The purpose of this session will be for the General Assembly to pass legislation ensuring that both major presidential candidates will be on the Ohio ballot in November, as well as legislation that would prohibit campaign spending by foreign nationals,” DeWine said.

NBC News has reached out to the Biden campaign for comment on DeWine's remarks.

The late date of this year's Democratic convention, at which Democrats are set to certify Biden as their nominee, comes after Ohio's statutory deadline to certify presidential candidates for its November ballot. In the past, such issues have been handled with quick legislative fixes, but a number of Republican legislators have balked this year.

The special session will start on Tuesday.

DeWine expressed anger at lawmakers from his party in the state House who have not appeared to make significant efforts to place Biden on the ballot.

"The Senate has passed several bills that would remedy this situation," DeWine said. "However, the House of Representatives has failed to do this."

The office of state House Speaker Jason Stephens, a Republican, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.

giphy.gif

The deadline has always been clear and the DNC has been warned about this repeatedly.
I bet if the GOP fucked up and Trump was off the ballot in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Arizona there is no way those governors would ever sign a bill to add Trump. They would be laughing their asses off.

What's the matter with Gov. DeWine?

If the D's are that interested in changing Ohio Law to get Sleepy Joe on the ballot, they ought to offer concessions elsewhere to make it worth the Republicans while.

Maybe cooperation in a law to protect children from having their nads lopped off by tranny activists?

Unless the D's are willing to play ball, I don't see what DeWine's urgency is.

Hey, I'm all for letting Ohio take Biden off the ballot...

As long as Blue states have the option of taking Trump off the ballot for January 6th.

The court has already ruled on this... states can't deny access to the ballot on Federal elections.

The Republicans need to be careful on this one. There is no way to win, and many ways to lose.

I don't know what Ohio is thinking by requiring the parties to name their candidate before their convention in order to be on the Ohio ballot.

Polishprince, I understand your desire to get the Democrats to act with common sense when it comes to protecting children, but doing it the way you suggest will hurt Republicans.

If Biden ends up not being on the ballot, and Trump wins the election, Democrats will do two things guaranteed:

1) Whine forever about a "rigged" election.
2) Look for any opportunity to keep Republicans off ballots in the future, always citing Ohio as their "they did it first, and set the precedent" justification.

I want Trump to win in 2024, but I want him to win fair and square. Let's not sink to the Democrats' level, please.

The bottom line is both the parties need to follow the various state laws as far as qualifying, on time, to be on the ballot.

Late for the game? Then it just sucks to be you.

States do not need to kowtow to the parties' timelines, wants, or desires. Supposedly they are all grownups and know the rules.

That and it's not your granddad's election cycle anymore. In person voting starts near the end of September in some states like Virginia so ballots have to be printed well in advance of that.

First day of in-person early voting at your local registrar's office: Friday, September 20, 2024.

Don't like it? Then make election day great again. ;)

Hey, I'm all for letting Ohio take Biden off the ballot...

As long as Blue states have the option of taking Trump off the ballot for January 6th.

The court has already ruled on this... states can't deny access to the ballot on Federal elections.

Actually this is not about taking him off the ballot, it's about Dems stupidly setting up their convention after Ohio's deadline for placing candidates on the ballot.

This is red letter law, not open to interpretation.

It's because the Dems wanted their convention as late as possible in case they want to nominate someone other than Biden as a surprise.

The bottom line is both the parties need to follow the various state laws as far as qualifying, on time, to be on the ballot.

Late for the game? Then it just sucks to be you.

States do not need to kowtow to the parties' timelines, wants, or desires. Supposedly they are all grownups and know the rules.

That and it's not your granddad's election cycle anymore. In person voting starts near the end of September in some states like Virginia so ballots have to be printed well in advance of that.

First day of in-person early voting at your local registrar's office: Friday, September 20, 2024.

Don't like it? Then make election day great again. ;)

I love the irony in the fact early voting, endorsed by dems, is what's causing this problem.

Actually this is not about taking him off the ballot, it's about Dems stupidly setting up their convention after Ohio's deadline for placing candidates on the ballot.

This is red letter law, not open to interpretation.

It's because the Dems wanted their convention as late as possible in case they want to nominate someone other than Biden as a surprise.
I remember Bush doing the 2004 convention in September so he could use the graves of 9/11 as a soapbox.

Don't recall anyone pulling this kind of shit then.

I remember Bush doing the 2004 convention in September so he could use the graves of 9/11 as a soapbox.

Don't recall anyone pulling this kind of shit then.

Early voting has forced States to move their dates up to get the ballots set.

Did Ohio move their date recently, and by recently I mean in the last year?

Forum List

Back