A diet that will work the rest of your life without any pain or starvation. What works or didn't for you.

Persistence Of Memory

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2019
I am 195 lbs. I was 190 when I was 28 yrs old. I actually saw this eating plan in a library book decades ago. Very simple.

Monday is veggie day. Nothing but veggies cooked or raw. 1500 cal max so you have to count everything like butter or dressing which you can have, but cal count cannot go above 1500.

Tuesday is a free day. Reasonably eat anything you want and love. Eating everything before 6pm and stop. Light snacks after 6 okay if you need it.

Wednesday is fruit day. 1500 calories of nothing but fruit all day. Juices, smoothies, or anything. Drink juices with no added sugars.

Thursday is a free day. Anything but try to stop eating before 6pm.

Friday is Fish and rice or veggies. 1500 calories.

Saturday is a free day.

Sunday is anything you want but no more than 2500 cals total.

This is about the healthiest, best nutrient diet around. You don't have to starve. And you don't have to give a damned thing. Just follow the rules.

What works or didn't work for you.

I am 195 lbs. I was 190 when I was 28 yrs old.
Maybe you just have the right metabolism.
Monday is veggie day. Nothing but veggies cooked or raw. 1500 cal max
So, counting carbs. How many calories in a head of broccoli? Do I need to keep a weight scale in the kitchen?
Reasonably eat anything you want and love
Who decides what is reasonable? Until I feel full and satisfied? Sweet tooth?
Eating everything before 6pm and stop.
What if I work until 6? Keep a Bunsen burner on my desk?
Light snacks after 6 okay if you need it.
So, cheat.
Wednesday is fruit day. 1500 calories of nothing but fruit all day. Juices, smoothies, or anything. Drink juices with no added sugars.
How many calories in an orange? This apple? Do I make the smoothies with a mixer at work or spend half the night before prepping this stuff then try to carry it all to work on the subway? And everything has added sugar in it unless you buy whole, raw fruit.
Anything goes day if you can ever get anything going.
Yum.
Saturday is a free day.
Good. Pizza, Strombolis and ice cream. It's a free day.
Thank you Lord thou art in heaven. I'll be sucking down those mocha javas in church.
You don't have to starve. And you don't have to give a damned thing. Just follow the rules.
Yep. Simplicity itself. All you have to do is plan your whole life around your diet and then spend the rest of your time weighing and measuring everything you eat.
They had no fat people in Ancient Egypt long before any of this crap. I wonder how they did it?

I am 195 lbs. I was 190 when I was 28 yrs old. I actually saw this eating plan in a library book decades ago. Very simple.

Monday is veggie day. Nothing but veggies cooked or raw. 1500 cal max so you have to count everything like butter or dressing which you can have, but cal count cannot go above 1500.

Tuesday is a free day. Reasonably eat anything you want and love. Eating everything before 6pm and stop. Light snacks after 6 okay if you need it.

Saturday is a free day.

This is about the healthiest, best nutrient diet around. You don't have to starve. And you don't have to give a damned thing. Just follow the rules.

1 Quarter-Pounder with cheese is 2600 calories. I can eat 2. That's not going to work for me, I'm 197 lbs.

A couple different things that have worked for me.

First, a simple diet devised by Dr. Ellington Darden, when he was working with Nautilus. Confine yourself to three 300-calorie meals per day, and two 100-calorie snacks. You quickly find that while a 300-calorie meal does not "fill you up," it takes away the craving for food for a couple hours, which is all that is necessary. The snacks are usually just a piece of fruit or a container of yogurt.

Second, adopt an 8-hour eating window every day (no exceptions). Eat your meals between, say 1100 and 1900. Nothing before or after, and don't over-indulge. It's good to actually be hungry a little bit every day, and this does that for you. Good for digestion, too.

Each of those has worked for me at times over the years.

Saturday is a free day.

1 Quarter-Pounder with cheese is 2600 calories. I can eat 2. That's not going to work for me, I'm 197 lbs.
I eat McDonals on my free days......Taco Hell........lol

Saturday is a free day.

I don't see any beer listed anywhere....:omg:

I am 195 lbs. I was 190 when I was 28 yrs old.
Maybe you just have the right metabolism.
Monday is veggie day. Nothing but veggies cooked or raw. 1500 cal max
So, counting carbs. How many calories in a head of broccoli? Do I need to keep a weight scale in the kitchen?
Reasonably eat anything you want and love
Who decides what is reasonable? Until I feel full and satisfied? Sweet tooth?
Eating everything before 6pm and stop.
What if I work until 6? Keep a Bunsen burner on my desk?
Light snacks after 6 okay if you need it.
So, cheat.
How many calories in an orange? This apple? Do I make the smoothies with a mixer at work or spend half the night before prepping this stuff then try to carry it all to work on the subway? And everything has added sugar in it unless you buy whole, raw fruit.
Anything goes day if you can ever get anything going.
Yum.
Saturday is a free day.
Good. Pizza, Strombolis and ice cream. It's a free day.
Thank you Lord thou art in heaven. I'll be sucking down those mocha javas in church.
You don't have to starve. And you don't have to give a damned thing. Just follow the rules.
Yep. Simplicity itself. All you have to do is plan your whole life around your diet and then spend the rest of your time weighing and measuring everything you eat.
They had no fat people in Ancient Egypt long before any of this crap. I wonder how they did it?
Cheating???? You didn't read it. Prerferably on free days you stop eating at 6, not a rule. So it is not cheating.

After a month you won't measure much anymore. If that month is too hard on ya, don't do it.

This is used around your life style, everyone is different.

When I say 1500 calories,Ii mean around 1500...Like 1700...or 1400....etc

I take 2 tablespoons of fiber too. Prevents colorectal and digestive cancers. Scrapes em clean.

I don't do protien and carb counts. Just cals and certain foods. It takes care of all that.

Last edited:

Saturday is a free day.

I don't see any beer listed anywhere....:omg:
A free day is a free day. No restrictions. You make up your days, these are just mine I find work the best.

A couple different things that have worked for me.

First, a simple diet devised by Dr. Ellington Darden, when he was working with Nautilus. Confine yourself to three 300-calorie meals per day, and two 100-calorie snacks. You quickly find that while a 300-calorie meal does not "fill you up," it takes away the craving for food for a couple hours, which is all that is necessary. The snacks are usually just a piece of fruit or a container of yogurt.

Second, adopt an 8-hour eating window every day (no exceptions). Eat your meals between, say 1100 and 1900. Nothing before or after, and don't over-indulge. It's good to actually be hungry a little bit every day, and this does that for you. Good for digestion, too.

Each of those has worked for me at times over the years.
Good job. Somewhat that idea. Just as good. The timing of when you last eat in the day is real real key. You can eat everything you want if you stop eating at 3pm

2 tips I give.

Eat off a salad plate. It looks like a nickel at first......Lol......................But you tend to eat slower, and when you take 2nds, it is like one full plate and no seconds.

Always leave 100 cals on the table and eat it later. That is 3000 cals a month. 1lb

All the above plans sound good and reasonable to me. But I stay at the perfect weight for me and that requires a 1200 calorie a day diet having anything I want as long as I don't exceed that. I asked a doctor one time if my calorie intake was unhealthy for me as I am determined to stay slender and after a moment of reflection all he said was, "well that is what my wife lives on" so :dunno:

I weigh every single day at the same time ( early morning after emptying my bladder and before anything to eat or drink) and with the scale always in the same place and if I am up a pound I decrease those calories that day and the next day that one pound falls off.

I consume small quantities twice a day, one on a large salad plate but smaller than an average-sized dinner plate. My last meal is around 3:30 in the afternoon and nothing after 6 except an orange or one or two Tootsie Pops, as they are my only sweet-tooth things. Sugarless gum ( Extra brand ) if I want more sweet-tasting things. That kills the hunger for sugar. I don't chew it for long.

Breakfast: Calcium, calcium, calcium. Plain, non-fat yogurt, one cup, combined with one cup non-fat milk, combined with a fistful of plain shredded weight, handful of blueberries or raspberries, or a small banana. A light drizzle of honey. All that is placed in a 2-cup measuring cup and filled to the brim.

Dinner: Small meal combining protein and veggies/salad on that 8 and a half inch salad plate. Before that, one only 8 oz. Budweiser mini-can of beer as I get ready for the hard news of the day. Some days I don't have that beer. Depends on what my weight was that morning.

Around 6-to 7 PM, an orange and a 1 oz chunk of sharp cheddar cheese. Calcium is great for bones, teeth, and sleep, as it stimulates the body's melatonin level.

Vitamins: Multi-vitamin, fish and flax, calcium, D.

Fast food, 2 times a year usually.

Walking and some indoor ( Schwinn, Air Dyne indoor bike ) riding.

An annual physical comes back with a pat on the back from my doctor and lab tests all in the normal range.

My diet plan isn't for everybody but has been working perfectly for me for years. All physical measurements the same as when I was 18. :)

Eliminate all fast food. It's toxic. That's a huge thing. Then stay out of middle aisles of grocery stores.

Saturday is a free day.

Hey I remember you. You forgot what your password was and I had to get you a new account you fucking dumb ass

Checking back. I've been on the "Ellington Darden - Nautilus" diet for about 6 weeks now. Basically, it is three 300-calorie meals per day plus a couple of 100 calorie snacks. 1200 calories per day, more or less.

My wife lost the 12 pounds she wanted to lose (from 117 to 105 - she's only 4'11"), and I have gone from 215 to 195.

Since we are older now - both over 70 - the weight didn't come off as quickly as I expected, but there was only one week of no-loss. I only weigh myself once a week, Monday morning after I evacuate my bladder, naked. We both exercise for at least an hour every day.

According to all of the guidelines, at 71" tall I should be around 175, but I haven't been that slim since I got out of the Army in 1971. Since this diet is so tolerable I'm going to stick with it until late July, when we are going on a 14-day cruise. I will re-assess after the cruise to see where I go from there.

I have never really dieted per se. I used to see all these women around me going on diets that never seemed to work. I try to just eat in a basically healthy way overall. I don't drink soda , eat junk food, fried foods, or other processed crap. I don't mean never but not things i have often. Mostly if i started to put on a bit of weight, I simply just cut back on what I was eating and focused on just eating better and taking in less calories. I have been able to maintain my weight that way without all the drama of some fad diet, etc

Forum List

Back