A Conservative Take on the Disaster that is Trump

Finally! A conservative Republican who is willing to speak of and take resposibility for the ongoing three ring circus in the White House

My Party Is in Denial About Donald Trump

Who could blame the people who felt abandoned and ignored by the major parties for reaching in despair for a candidate who offered oversimplified answers to infinitely complex questions and managed to entertain them in the process? With hindsight, it is clear that we all but ensured the rise of Donald Trump

Selected excerpts:
I will let the liberals answer for their own sins in this regard. (There are many.) But we conservatives mocked Barack Obama’s failure to deliver on his pledge to change the tone in Washington even as we worked to assist with that failure. It was we conservatives who, upon Obama’s election, stated that our No. 1 priority was not advancing a conservative policy agenda but making Obama a one-term president—the corollary to this binary thinking being that his failure would be our success and the fortunes of the citizenry would presumably be sorted out in the meantime.

It was we conservatives who were largely silent when the most egregious and sustained attacks on Obama’s legitimacy were leveled by marginal figures who would later be embraced and legitimized by far too many of us.

It was we conservatives who rightly and robustly asserted our constitutional prerogatives as a co-equal branch of government when a Democrat was in the White House but who, despite solemn vows to do the same in the event of a Trump presidency, have maintained an unnerving silence as instability has ensued

To carry on in the spring of 2017 as if what was happening was anything approaching normalcy required a determined suspension of critical faculties.
And tremendous powers of denial.

Michael Gerson, a conservative columnist and former senior adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote, four months into the new presidency, The conservative mind, in some very visible cases, has become diseased,” and conservative institutions “with the blessings of a president … have abandoned the normal constraints of reason and compassion.”

Finally! A conservative Republican who is willing to speak of and take resposibility for the ongoing three ring circus in the White House

Who could blame the people who felt abandoned and ignored by the major parties for reaching in despair for a candidate who offered oversimplified answers to infinitely complex questions and managed to entertain them in the process? With hindsight, it is clear that we all but ensured the rise of Donald Trump

Selected excerpts:
I will let the liberals answer for their own sins in this regard. (There are many.) But we conservatives mocked Barack Obama’s failure to deliver on his pledge to change the tone in Washington even as we worked to assist with that failure. It was we conservatives who, upon Obama’s election, stated that our No. 1 priority was not advancing a conservative policy agenda but making Obama a one-term president—the corollary to this binary thinking being that his failure would be our success and the fortunes of the citizenry would presumably be sorted out in the meantime.

It was we conservatives who were largely silent when the most egregious and sustained attacks on Obama’s legitimacy were leveled by marginal figures who would later be embraced and legitimized by far too many of us.

It was we conservatives who rightly and robustly asserted our constitutional prerogatives as a co-equal branch of government when a Democrat was in the White House but who, despite solemn vows to do the same in the event of a Trump presidency, have maintained an unnerving silence as instability has ensued

To carry on in the spring of 2017 as if what was happening was anything approaching normalcy required a determined suspension of critical faculties.

Michael Gerson, a conservative columnist and former senior adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote, four months into the new presidency, The conservative mind, in some very visible cases, has become diseased,” and conservative institutions “with the blessings of a president … have abandoned the normal constraints of reason and compassion.”

Jeff Flake knows that john mccain, the favorite republican member of the democrat party is dying from brain cancer, so flake wants to take his spot as the favorite republican member of the democrat party........he is just another republican who basks in the warm glow of left wing media love, because he attacks republicans.....

Here is a more accurate article on jeff flake...

Jeff Flake is Filling in For John McCain as a Liberal Media Darling

John McCain has relished his "Maverick" label ever since the leftmedia warmed up to him after his failed 2000 presidential run. He began flirting with the Democratsafter that, and the love affair was on. The MSM adores nothing more than a Republican politician who will gleefully attack other Republicans.

McCain is at home in Arizona to begin cancer treatment after once again making the Democrats and their mouthpieces in the MSM swoon for him by delivering his biggest back-stab to his own party yet. The media types who hate Trump and Republicans may have been forlorn about missing their favorite useful idiot, but they've almost been immediately rescued by the junior senator from Arizona, Jeff Flake.

--------

What's galling to many of my conservative friends in my native Arizona is that Flake has been a little too cozy with McCain since he got to Washington. They were hoping for the un-Maverick, and they've basically gotten Maverick Lite. My closest friends there who voted for him are all disappointed.

What's even more galling to those of us who grew up in Barry Goldwater's Arizona is Flake's none-too-subtle implication that he is somehow picking up Goldwater's mantle of conservatism. He's got an ego that's really out of sync with his accomplishments.

Selected excerpts:

And it's interesting to know you've become a Conservative.

And here is Brent Bozell on jeff flake...

Brent Bozell III: 'My Father Would Be APPALLED' by Jeff Flake's 'Conscience of a Conservative'

“Jeff Flake is not a conservative, nor does he have a conscience,” Media Research Center President Brent Bozell III declared in a statement denouncing Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) for misappropriating the title of a book written by Bozell’s father.

In a statement issued Tuesday, Bozell exposes Flake as an “imposter,” posing as a conservative, who has wantonly betrayed conservative principles at every turn:

"On behalf of my late father and my family, I am denouncing Senator Jeff Flake and his new book, dishonestly titled, 'Conscience of a Conservative.'

"Since entering the Senate in 2013, Jeff Flake has, time and again, proven he is part of the indulgent hypocrisy in Washington. While he waxes poetically about conservative principles, his Conservative Review Liberty score is an abysmal 53%, also known as: 'F.' In 2013, I watched first-hand as Flake refused to sign a letter pledging to defund ObamaCare, among his many betrayals to conservatism. Jeff Flake is neither a conservative nor does he have a conscience.

"As every conservative leader knows, my father, L. Brent Bozell, Jr., ghost-wrote “Conscience of a Conservative” for Barry Goldwater. While the Goldwater Institute may own the rights to the book’s title, neither the organization nor Senator Flake have the right to unjustifiably trade on my father’s work. 'Conscience of a Conservative' is the greatest selling polemic in history, and Senator Flake is trading on its reputation to shamelessly promote himself and disguise his own conservative deficiencies. My father would be appalled to see this fraud as the author of the so-called 'sequel,' which it most certainly is not.

"The media need to know, when reporting on Senator Flake and his 'book,' that the author is a deceiver out for personal and financial gain. I also call on my conservative brethren to denounce this impostor, who dishonorably claims to speak for conservatism, in the strongest possible terms."

As another poster pointed out Republicans Politicians from John McCain to Jeb Bush have spoken against Donald Trump, so not really something new...

Now if you can get Jeff Sessions to call Donald John Trump a nutter then you will have something to write about...

Selected excerpts:

:clap:
Very thoughtful and well written. Is Jeff Flake planning to leave the Senate? Because I don't see this being very popular among the Repubs, let alone the Trumpsters. He is so right, though.

The stock market hit an all-time record today and you're saying Trump is a "disaster"?

george-of-the-jungle.gif

Flake isn't a conservative, he's a damn RINO

Hell even Lindsey Graham called him a RINO

Bill Kristol was on PBS today smearing President Trump....PBS! This is the guy who suggested Sarah Palin be McCain's running mate against Barry the Fairy and now the only people paying attention to him are the leftists he supposedly despises. He even said he'd have preferred a 3rd Obama term to Trump...that's how low the never-Trumpers have sunk. As for Jeff Flake, I could go on forever about what a piece of shit he is but suffice to say there is a video he's been able to suppress that sums him up in a sentence. He's talking about breaking his promise to not run again after being term-limited...He looks at the camera and starts giggling and says: "Well, I LIED!" The vid is on YouTube but it's in a "private collection" and can only be viewed by permission. Flake got to the owner of that video. He also thought Garland should get a USSC hearing, is against the wall, has no problem with American jobs going to Asia, and still calls himself a conservative.

I haven't detected any political philosophy regarding limited govt v an expansive view of the federal govt. Trump's view of executive power is pretty unlimited but so has everyone else's view since Reagan, and he wasn't a "small e" when it came to foreign affairs.

Flake's differences with Trump are really about civility

Selected excerpts:

Jeff the Flake Mormon and high degreed freeemason with magic underwear has an opinion that we should weigh and consider? I gave it all .2 seconds worth before I waved it away like a pesky fly.

Bill Kristol was on PBS today smearing President Trump....PBS! This is the guy who suggested Sarah Palin be McCain's running mate against Barry the Fairy and now the only people paying attention to him are the leftists he supposedly despises. He even said he'd have preferred a 3rd Obama term to Trump...that's how low the never-Trumpers have sunk. As for Jeff Flake, I could go on forever about what a piece of shit he is but suffice to say there is a video he's been able to suppress that sums him up in a sentence. He's talking about breaking his promise to not run again after being term-limited...He looks at the camera and starts giggling and says: "Well, I LIED!" The vid is on YouTube but it's in a "private collection" and can only be viewed by permission. Flake got to the owner of that video. He also thought Garland should get a USSC hearing, is against the wall, has no problem with American jobs going to Asia, and still calls himself a conservative.

Bill Kristol is a neocon and a Trotsky-ite......

They want a small federal govt philosophy coupled with a strong defense and traditional alliances.

McCain and Flake. There must be something in the water in Arizona. What has senator Flake done for the Country lately? Is he really from "Snoflake Arizona"? That says it all.

Selected excerpts:

Jeff Flake knows that john mccain, the favorite republican member of the democrat party is dying from brain cancer, so flake wants to take his spot as the favorite republican member of the democrat party........he is just another republican who basks in the warm glow of left wing media love, because he attacks republicans.....

Here is a more accurate article on jeff flake...

Jeff Flake is Filling in For John McCain as a Liberal Media Darling

John McCain has relished his "Maverick" label ever since the leftmedia warmed up to him after his failed 2000 presidential run. He began flirting with the Democratsafter that, and the love affair was on. The MSM adores nothing more than a Republican politician who will gleefully attack other Republicans.

McCain is at home in Arizona to begin cancer treatment after once again making the Democrats and their mouthpieces in the MSM swoon for him by delivering his biggest back-stab to his own party yet. The media types who hate Trump and Republicans may have been forlorn about missing their favorite useful idiot, but they've almost been immediately rescued by the junior senator from Arizona, Jeff Flake.

--------

What's galling to many of my conservative friends in my native Arizona is that Flake has been a little too cozy with McCain since he got to Washington. They were hoping for the un-Maverick, and they've basically gotten Maverick Lite. My closest friends there who voted for him are all disappointed.

What's even more galling to those of us who grew up in Barry Goldwater's Arizona is Flake's none-too-subtle implication that he is somehow picking up Goldwater's mantle of conservatism. He's got an ego that's really out of sync with his accomplishments.
I never heard of the guy before, but after reading the attached link, it seems to me that he was talking about principles and living by simple truths of right and wrong. The people in the Senate and a lot in the House are not stupid. They are pretty intelligent people. They are ignoring what a mess the government has become with Trump's chaos and lack of focus. What has Trump created?
- a Commission to "investigate" voter fraud (to prove he won the popular vote, too)
- a Commission in the EPA to question climate science
- a Commission to look into discrimination against whites re: university admission policies.

In the past few weeks he has given cops the wink and nod to "not be so nice" to people in their custody and is threatening to take 7 billion from insurance companies that will end up sending people's insurance premiums sky high.
How can anyone continue to support this man. Only extremists can, at this point.

Forum List

Back