A chlorine shortage this Summer, now water softener salt prices rising stupidly

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I mistakenly posted this thread in the "Politics" area last time, because it was intended to be a criticism of the Biden Administration. But since it was been deemed "not politics" and I got "tazed" by one of the moderators, I will try it again here in what is hopefully a more correct place.

Ouch. Those tasers kinda sting a bit.. :laughing0301:

This last Summer there was a shortage of chlorine used in water treatment plants and for swimming pool disinfecting. I will magnanimously give President Biden the benefit of the doubt, and attribute that to the hysteria over COVID, the massive consumer purchasing of chlorine for the purpose of disinfection, and the manufacturing and supply line bottlenecks. We had a new Culligan water softener put in last year, because the old one went tits up. Both the service tech who installed it and the manual recommends salt crystals, not pellets.

I went to Walmart two weeks ago and bought a 40 pound bag of Morton Pure & Natural salt crystals for the water softener, for $6.83. While I was at Walmart today, I decided to get another 40 pound bag of water softener salt crystals and in only two weeks, the price had jumped up to $21.88. That is a 220.35% increase in price from only two weeks ago.

Now I'm sure anyone could look online and find a cheaper price. But that was the price at my local Walmart store: A 220.35% increase in price from only two weeks ago. One could theorize that many Northern states use tons of crystalized salt on the roads and highways during the Winter, which has caused a sudden strain on the manufacturers and supply lines, coupled with the current inflation we're seeing. That would be giving the current administration the benefit of the doubt, except for one thing: I've never seen anything like this in my entire 71 years, and throughout 14 Presidents, going all the way back to Harry Truman. Add to that the fact that it's the 15th of December, it's 5:09 PM, and it's currently 62 degrees outside. And that's in Wisconsin.

So why now, all of sudden? And in this supposed post-pandemic era of recovery, why is this President and his administration unable or unwilling to deal with the problems being presented to the American people? Is it sheer incompetence, or purposeful negligence?

Some pictures for the skeptical among you:

salt1.jpg

salt2.jpg

Last edited:
I mistakenly posted this thread in the "Politics" area last time, because it was intended to be a criticism of the Biden Administration. But since it was been deemed "not politics" and I got "tazed" by one of the moderators, I will try it again here in what is hopefully a more correct place.

Ouch. Those tasers kinda sting a bit.. :laughing0301:

This last Summer there was a shortage of chlorine used in water treatment plants and for swimming pool disinfecting. I will magnanimously give President Biden the benefit of the doubt, and attribute that to the hysteria over COVID, the massive consumer purchasing of chlorine for the purpose of disinfection, and the manufacturing and supply line bottlenecks. We had a new Culligan water softener put in last year, because the old one went tits up. Both the service tech who installed it and the manual recommends salt crystals, not pellets.

I went to Walmart two weeks ago and bought a 40 pound bag of Morton Pure & Natural salt crystals for the water softener, for $6.83. While I was at Walmart today, I decided to get another 40 pound bag of water softener salt crystals and in only two weeks, the price had jumped up to $21.88. That is a 220.35% increase in price from only two weeks ago.

Now I'm sure anyone could look online and find a cheaper price. But that was the price at my local Walmart store: A 220.35% increase in price from only two weeks ago. One could theorize that many Northern states use tons of crystalized salt on the roads and highways during the Winter, which has caused a sudden strain on the manufacturers and supply lines, coupled with the current inflation we're seeing. That would be giving the current administration the benefit of the doubt, except for one thing: I've never seen anything like this in my entire 71 years, and throughout 14 Presidents, going all the way back to Harry Truman. Add to that the fact that it's the 15th of December, it's 5:09 PM, and it's currently 62 degrees outside. And that's in Wisconsin.

So why now, all of sudden? And in this supposed post-pandemic era of recovery, why is this President and his administration unable or unwilling to deal with the problems being presented to the American people? Is it sheer incompetence, or purposeful negligence?

Some pictures for the skeptical among you:

View attachment 576215

View attachment 576216

That's because shit for brains Trumphumpers are eating it to fight Covid, so they don't have to get vaccinated.

There isn't a dumber lifeform in the universe than a Trumphumper.

Home Depot pool salt $7.98?

Just about everything is in short supply due to unprecedented demand for goods. The economy got overheated because Americans are buying stuff rather than services. A reversal of pre-pandemic spending habits.

That's because shit for brains Trumphumpers are eating it to fight Covid, so they don't have to get vaccinated.

Eating chlorine? Are you fucking serious, or just trolling? If you actually believe that, you seriously deserve the idiot of the year award.

Eating chlorine? Are you fucking serious, or just trolling? If you actually believe that, you seriously deserve the idiot of the year award.
I'm seriously reconsidering my decision to take everybody annoying off of ignore. Some folks just don't deserve to have a voice in my world.

95 pct of people over 65 have gotten vaccinated
to create a false narrative so you can hurl your "trumphumper" insult.
You seemed to have forgotten operation warp speed, which in and of itself was a miracle.
Looks to me like the vaccine doesn't work that well anyway
The pill is the next logical fall back.

Forum List

Back