The Great Salt Lake Is Full of Lithium. A Startup Wants to Harvest It.

If I may . . .

Afghanistan likely feel a mix of anger and scorn towards the U.S. arguably, we brought that on ourselves across multiple administrations.

So, what they have or don’t is irrelevant to us. We won’t get it.

At least our politicians haven’t yet managed to turn Utah against us.
It was said that the Chi-Coms were going to move in and harvest Afghanistan's riches.....I believe they looked at the history of the region and said No Mas.

That will have to wait until after the Biden Administration. He has battery production strictly set aside for his Chinese bosses.
The chinese have cornered the market because greenies in America dont want the raw lithium processed here

The chinese are not fussy about industrial pollution and that allows them to cut costs

Sort of a win-win for the alternate energy crowd

The chinese have cornered the market because greenies in America dont want the raw lithium processed here

The chinese are not fussy about industrial pollution and that allows them to cut costs

Sort of a win-win for the alternate energy crowd

Red China is conducting diplomacy in various African republics, so they can have access to the lithium and other minerals.

OTOH, Biden and the libs aren't doing shit.

It was said that the Chi-Coms were going to move in and harvest Afghanistan's riches.....I believe they looked at the history of the region and said No Mas.
The Chi-Coms said “no mas” to the Afghans? The DEI enthusiasts here should congratulate you on such a multicultural post!

Red China is conducting diplomacy in various African republics, so they can have access to the lithium and other minerals.

Most if not all of the raw lithium produced in the world goes to china to be processed

Its western environmental wackos that have made china king of the hill in lithium

America’s biggest saltwater lake may hold a key to the country’s energy future.

This summer, a California startup plans to start construction on a project to suck up water from the Great Salt Lake to extract one of its many valuable minerals: lithium, a critical ingredient in the rechargeable batteries used in electric vehicles. The water will then be reinjected back into the lake, which Lilac Solutions says addresses concerns about the damaging effects of mineral extraction.

At its peak, Lilac says it will use a series of pipes to suck up 80,000 gallons of water a minute to harvest the mineral. The company plans to eventually produce up to 20,000 tons of battery-grade lithium a year at its site in northern Utah, located among fields of cattle and pickleweed.

The effort is one of dozens of projects across the U.S. racing to build up a domestic supply of lithium and other battery minerals, with adoption of electric vehicles expected to boom as part of the country’s transition to cleaner energy.

The challenge: finding ways to efficiently extract the mineral from rocks and water while minimizing environmental damage.

Resources in the U.S. are very large in scale, but the chemistry is very challenging,” said Lilac founder and Chief Executive Dave Snydacker.

This is good news because the United States has significant lithium reserves - the U.S. is home to one of the largest lithium deposits in the world. Nevada, North Carolina, and California have an estimated 4% of the world's lithium reserves.
Cool. As long as we aren't tearing up the earth for oil we may as well tear it up for everything else. I hope everyone is aware that it will require heavy machinery (gasoline and diesel powered) to hall all of that loot from the Great Salt Lake (with the possible help of some eagle-killing windmills).

Cool. As long as we aren't tearing up the earth for oil we may as well tear it up for everything else. I hope everyone is aware that it will require heavy machinery (gasoline and diesel powered) to hall all of that loot from the Great Salt Lake (with the possible help of some eagle-killing windmills).
Yes, and we will still need those huge diesel generators to make the electricity to power those electric vehicles. How do these cultists not get it when we explain it to them so many times?

I wonder if the GSL is still experiencing extreme drought, there is a lot more than lithium buried beneath the lake bottom there are all kinds of toxic minerals that no one in Salt Lake City wants to see go uncovered, because they have plenty of windstorms that could then make life dangerous to breathe there.

It's always been a trade off, it has never been an either/or.

Biden hasn't been doing shit? He has done more than any other President you half wit.

But you are correct that the Chinese are trying to corner the market, like they have most precious minerals already. You also need magnets to run all these electronics, of which China has a monopoly, along with quite a few other important precious minerals.

They could make life hard for us tomorrow. We couldn't do the same to them.

China has successful mining operations in Afghanistan plus a railroad for over a decade.

This summer, a California startup plans to start construction on a project to suck up water from the Great Salt Lake to extract one of its many valuable minerals: lithium, a critical ingredient in the rechargeable batteries used in electric vehicles. The water will then be reinjected back into the lake, which Lilac Solutions says addresses concerns about the damaging effects of mineral extraction.

At its peak, Lilac says it will use a series of pipes to suck up 80,000 gallons of water a minute to harvest the mineral. The company plans to eventually produce up to 20,000 tons of battery-grade lithium a year at its site in northern Utah, located among fields of cattle and pickleweed.

The effort is one of dozens of projects across the U.S. racing to build up a domestic supply of lithium and other battery minerals, with adoption of electric vehicles expected to boom as part of the country’s transition to cleaner energy.

The challenge: finding ways to efficiently extract the mineral from rocks and water while minimizing environmental damage.

Resources in the U.S. are very large in scale, but the chemistry is very challenging,” said Lilac founder and Chief Executive Dave Snydacker.

This is good news because the United States has significant lithium reserves - the U.S. is home to one of the largest lithium deposits in the world. Nevada, North Carolina, and California have an estimated 4% of the world's lithium reserves.
So destroy the environment to make cars nobody wants.

Leftardism in full glory.

ActionJackson

Don't they mine lithium?
Yup. And they have to mine a lot more earth to extract lithium than they have to drill for an equivalent amount of oil or natural gas. Frackers can actually leave their jobsite looking relatively untouched compared to a lithium mine which can create a large crater. But who really cares about that as long as we aren't using "fossil fuels" and as long as we can appear virtuous. (Not to mention all of that tax revenue we can create to "save the planet").

Yup. And they have to mine a lot more earth to extract lithium than they have to drill for an equivalent amount of oil or natural gas. Frackers can actually leave their jobsite looking relatively untouched compared to a lithium mine which can create a large crater. But who really cares about that as long as we aren't using "fossil fuels" and as long as we can appear virtuous. (Not to mention all of that tax revenue we can create to "save the planet").
Coal extraction makes a giant pit also but you don't care, same with limestone for roads, nickel, and copper, in fact, anything mined from the Earth makes a big pit, but you do not care.

Forum List

Back