A Black High School Student Says A Teacher Pushed Her Into A Wall For Not Saying The Pledge Of Allegiance

I walk wherever I need to every night. Stop living in fear stemming from your prejudice.
Ha ha. You don't know much about America yet. If you could set up a live streaming body camera, and walk through South Chicago at, say, 11pm on a Saturday night ... you could probably get several thousand subscribers at 5 dollars each to watch what happens to you. People are cruel. The Chicago police once arrested a young white girl, and then released her, later, in South Chicago. Do you want to guess what happened to her?

The teacher stopped her movement, held her in place until the pledge was completed, chewed her out, and sent her on her way. Here is one: the student at school is not in charge.

Ha ha. You don't know much about America yet. .....

It sure seems like I know more about MY COUNTRY than you do. You seem to be "informed" by your fears, prejudice, and bad movies more than anything else. I just got home from one of those neighborhoods you are so scared of, Mary.

Last edited:
The family of a South Carolina ninth grader is suing her school after they said a teacher pushed the 15-year-old into a wall because she refused to take the Pledge of Allegiance.

The lawsuit filed on Feb. 13 alleges that Marissa Barnwell, who attends River Bluff High School, was on her way to class on Nov. 29, 2022, when special education teacher Nicole Livingston confronted her in the hall as the pledge was playing over the school’s loudspeaker. The teacher allegedly demanded she stop walking and recite the pledge.

The lawsuit names the South Carolina Department of Education, Lexington County School District One, Livingston, and principal Jacob Smith, accusing them of negligence and violating Barnwell’s civil rights.

Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Barnwell said she was “completely and utterly disrespected” and that no one should ever have gone through what she experienced.

“I have never seen this lady a day in my life so when she approached me so angry and so upset I had not known what to react to her,” Barnwell said. “So she approached me, she grabbed me, she pushed me up against the wall, and I was not prepared for that.”

She said she stopped participating in the pledge of allegiance in third grade because she believes that the message of “liberty and justice for all” does not apply to everyone in the US.

“In those pledges, you say ‘liberty and justice for all’ but is America really liberty and justice for all?” she said.

Barnwell added she has continued attending the school, but she’s been upset by the fact that Livingston didn’t face any kind of consequence. The school district and the state department of education did not immediately return BuzzFeed News' request for a comment.

“No one has apologized, no one has acknowledged my hurt, the fact that the school is defending that kind of behavior is unimaginable,” Barnwell said.

According to the lawsuit, Livingston took an “upset and emotionally disturbed” Barnwell to the principal's office after the alleged assault. Smith, the principal, then allegedly told Barnwell he would review the security footage and sent her back to class.

Surveillance video provided to BuzzFeed News shows the teacher confronting Barnwell as other students and adults also walk through the hall. Shavell Barnwell, her father, questioned why she was singled out.

“Why would the teacher single out my daughter when you could clearly see that other students are walking in this video, but that particular day she zoomed in on my daughter and when she grabbed her, you could see the grab was a forceful grab and you could see she was holding on to her with aggression,” he said at the press conference.

Marissa Barnwell said she believes it was because she was the only Black girl in the hallway.

Is this teacher in the right or the wrong?
i can’t say i’d have to see the video …i can’t base my opinion solely on what the accusers are saying.

Something seems off considering no criminal assault charges were filed and the person got no issues from the schools, and other agencies that investigated

time will tell at trial i guess

It sure seems like I know more about MY COUNTRY than you do. You seem to be "informed" by your fears, prejudice, and bad movies more than anything else. I just got home from one of those neighborhoods you are so scared of, Mary.

I actually know quite a lot about the US, the crime rate, race relations, etc. I don't -- or try not to -- base my beliefs about what are facts, on what I would like the facts to be. Heart-warming platitudes make us feel good, but they can get us killed. More to the point, they get in the way of taking effective political action to change a bad reality.

On crime, and race and crime, start with the FBI's Uniform Crime Statistics, here: Table 43

Do have a look at these. Of course, all social statistics are going to be imprecise, even a bit inaccurate, and that's especially true for crime, much of which goes unreported. But murder -- or unlawful homicide -- is the most accurate statistic by far, for obvious reasons. Go to that table, and find out who commits the majority of murders in the US.

Another source of information is here: Everytown Research - EveryStat -- find the 'Race/Ethnicity' section.

Now, please note: this ugly fact says nothing about why the fact exists. Many people find this hard to understand. In another post, I put up a lot of photos of Black lynching victims (which had to be removed because the Board does not allow 'morbid' photos.) The perpetrators were whites -- the active lynchers were a minority of their community, but the reality is, almost the whole white community came out to watch and enjoy the lynching. Does this mean whites were/are inherently evil?

The phrase 'root causes' is a favorite on the Left. And, abstractly, they're not wrong. It's just that 'root causes' implies a linear relationship between poverty and crime, whereas the reality is a lot more complex.

I believe people are the product of their environments, and these environments can change. Ferocious Vikings become sweet peaceful Danes. The inert peasantry of Southern Mexico and Central America and Peru had ancestors who were in the process of building great civilizations.

Closer to home, Black neighborhoods were not like they are today, just two generations ago.
Listen to this fascinating interview with a Black activist:

The issue is why this is the case. What has changed?. One attempt at explanation is here: The Cultural And Political Forces Driving Violence In The Black Community

Please read that article. You might be surprised ... in fact, I predict you will be surprised.

However, it's been my experience that most people, both Left and Right, have zero interest in an objective dissection of the facts about issues like this. They have their pre-existing beliefs, and don't want them challenged. Perhaps you're an exception.

I actually know quite a lot about the US, the crime rate, race relations, etc. I don't -- or try not to -- base my beliefs about what are facts, on what I would like the facts to be. Heart-warming platitudes make us feel good, but they can get us killed. More to the point, they get in the way of taking effective political action to change a bad reality.

On crime, and race and crime, start with the FBI's Uniform Crime Statistics, here: Table 43

Do have a look at these. Of course, all social statistics are going to be imprecise, even a bit inaccurate, and that's especially true for crime, much of which goes unreported. But murder -- or unlawful homicide -- is the most accurate statistic by far, for obvious reasons. Go to that table, and find out who commits the majority of murders in the US.

Another source of information is here: Everytown Research - EveryStat -- find the 'Race/Ethnicity' section.

Now, please note: this ugly fact says nothing about why the fact exists. Many people find this hard to understand. In another post, I put up a lot of photos of Black lynching victims (which had to be removed because the Board does not allow 'morbid' photos.) The perpetrators were whites -- the active lynchers were a minority of their community, but the reality is, almost the whole white community came out to watch and enjoy the lynching. Does this mean whites were/are inherently evil?

The phrase 'root causes' is a favorite on the Left. And, abstractly, they're not wrong. It's just that 'root causes' implies a linear relationship between poverty and crime, whereas the reality is a lot more complex.

I believe people are the product of their environments, and these environments can change. Ferocious Vikings become sweet peaceful Danes. The inert peasantry of Southern Mexico and Central America and Peru had ancestors who were in the process of building great civilizations.

Closer to home, Black neighborhoods were not like they are today, just two generations ago.

The issue is why this is the case. What has changed?. One attempt at explanation is here: The Cultural And Political Forces Driving Violence In The Black Community

Please read that article. You might be surprised ... in fact, I predict you will be surprised.

However, it's been my experience that most people, both Left and Right, have zero interest in an objective dissection of the facts about issues like this. They have their pre-existing beliefs, and don't want them challenged. Perhaps you're an exception.

Your article quotes Thomas Sowell way too much and will therefore be thrown out automatically by certain Black posters.

In other words: You were sitting on your ass Googling and peeking fearfully from out behind your window shades while I was out in the world IN the exact sort of neighborhood you seem so scared of.

The inert peasantry of Southern Mexico and Central America and Peru had ancestors who were in the process of building great civilizations.

lol when? They had so many slaves they didn't even bother to come up with wheels for carts. They also murdered many millions of their own people. They carved some stones, built a few big buildings, then died out, leaving nothing of any note behind.

lol they tossed female children into volcanos and played kick ball with peoples' heads. You might think that makes them 'great civilizations' but sane people would just laugh at that claim. they got handed their asses by a handful of drunken Spaniard pirates.

And the Spaniards eventually got their asses kicked, and the British then got their asses kicked, etc. Stop being a dick.

lol when? They had so many slaves they didn't even bother to come up with wheels for carts. They also murdered many millions of their own people. They carved some stones, built a few big buildings, then died out, leaving nothing of any note behind.
Dear God, in the age of Wiki, when it takes about ten seconds to learn something .... but I suppose you're one of the ones here with 30-second attention spans, so that's too much to hope f or.

For those with longer attentions spans and reading ability than Mr Smith, here's what Wiki has to say about the Mayas:

Some excerpts:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Maya civilization of the Mesoamerican people is known by its ancient temples and glyphs. Its Maya script is the most sophisticated and highly developed writing system in the pre-Columbian Americas. It is also noted for its art, architecture, mathematics, calendar, and astronomical system.
The Maya developed sophisticated art forms using both perishable and non-perishable materials, including wood, jade, obsidian, ceramics, sculpted stone monuments, stucco, and finely painted murals.
Maya cities tended to expand organically. The city centers comprised ceremonial and administrative complexes, surrounded by an irregularly shaped sprawl of residential districts. Different parts of a city were often linked by causeways. Architecturally, city buildings included palaces, pyramid-temples, ceremonial ballcourts, and structures specially aligned for astronomical observation. The Maya elite were literate, and developed a complex system of hieroglyphic writing. Theirs was the most advanced writing system in the pre-Columbian Americas. The Maya recorded their history and ritual knowledge in screenfold books, of which only three uncontested examples remain, the rest having been destroyed by the Spanish. In addition, a great many examples of Maya texts can be found on stelae and ceramics. The Maya developed a highly complex series of interlocking ritual calendars, and employed mathematics that included one of the earliest known instances of the explicit zero in human history.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same impressive development can be found among the Aztecs and the Incas. This was all happening while Mr Smith's and my ancestors were still tribal barbarians waiting to be conquered by the Romans.

These now-destroyed civilizations are important for a reason bearing on contemporary debates: they blow the "genetics theory of history" out of the water. These people were well on the road to civilization ... and yet large numbers of people with the same basic genetic inheritance (including my Choctaw ancestors) never got far beyond the hunter-gatherer stage ... certainly not to the stage of creating monumental public buildings.

Why? No one really knows. One theory that used to be popular was geography -- Jared Diamond has a whole book arguing that European, MidEast, and Asian civilizations benefitted from being along the same latitudes, and having relatively easy means of East-West communications, so ideas, inventions, discoveries could spread easily.
[ Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia ] There's probably something to that, but I believe there is still a mystery at the heart of the problem. Why, for example, was it the Greeks who sat down and invented Western civilization?

Yes, the Incas, Mayas and Aztecs invented many things. But, as Che Guevara noted, their civilizations still went under, because ... they did not invent gunpowder.

Really? You're criticizing someone for their "attention span" and you reference Wiki-fucking-pedia? Are you kidding?
Yes, on many things, Wiki is a good place to start. It has a liberal bias, no question. But on many issues, it's an excellent start, especially for people who are not accustomed to reading longer things.

In fact, I don't understand your point. If you wanted to quickly refute someone who claimed that the Maya were just a bunch of dumb Indians who put a few rocks on top of one another, where would you start? What would you reference? How would you answer him? (I suspect you'd just say, "You're a nasty old racist!" ... but that would only "convince" the already-converted. You need to provide facts in an argument, for those -- possibly only a minority -- who know how to think.)

Ah, I just read your attempted 'refutation', which says absolutely zero about the point Mr Smith is making. And it's also not even historically accurate.

Last edited:
And the Spaniards eventually got their asses kicked, and the British then got their asses kicked, etc. Stop being a dick.

By other Europeans. lol Mexico defeated France, not Spain, moron. The British Navy enforced the Americans' central and South American policies, And Brits are still SA and CA as well. The Peanut Gallery can find books on the Monroe Doctrine and the Brits enforcing that and read all about it.

Last edited:
Dear God, in the age of Wiki, when it takes about ten seconds to learn something .... but I suppose you're one of the ones here with 30-second attention spans, so that's too much to hope f or.

lol yes, you're a moron. Get all of your history from the innernetz, eh?

By other Europeans. lol Mexico defeated France, not Spain, moron.....

Do you know about the founding of St. Augustine FL, moron? Ever heard about what happened to the Spanish Armada, moron? How about the American Revolution? Know what happened in Haiti? The attempted Mongol invasion of Japan? the Hittites and the Kaskas? Etc, etc, etc.

History is a long string of one "great power" getting its ass kicked by somebody else sometime or other. The Pre-Colombian civilizations were as significant in their own right as all the others. Stop being a dick.

Do you know about the founding of St. Augustine FL, moron? Ever heard about what happened to the Spanish Armada, moron? How about the American Revolution? Know what happened in Haiti? The attempted Mongol invasion of Japan? the Hittites and the Kaskas? Etc, etc, etc.

History is a long string of one "great power" getting its ass kicked by somebody else sometime or other. The Pre-Colombian civilizations were as significant in their own right as all the others. Stop being a dick.

Now you're just raving, trying to impress the other uneducated halfwits. lol you think the Aztecs destroyed the Spanish Armada, do you? lol that's tyical for people who pop off in arguments when they know squat about anything, they start raving about unconnected events that have nothing to do with the arguments they're quoting.

I think it's hilarious you LARP as a 'teacher' here.

Forum List

Back