A Black High School Student Says A Teacher Pushed Her Into A Wall For Not Saying The Pledge Of Allegiance

Dumbass if her birthday is in Octobershe would start school a year later, because she would miss the cutoff. Now what does that say about your dumb, racist ass.
My bday is in Aug, so I technically wasn't allowed to start school when I was 4, just to turn 5. Stupid, so yeah, I was 15 and in the 9th grade.

The family of a South Carolina ninth grader is suing her school after they said a teacher pushed the 15-year-old into a wall because she refused to take the Pledge of Allegiance.

The lawsuit filed on Feb. 13 alleges that Marissa Barnwell, who attends River Bluff High School, was on her way to class on Nov. 29, 2022, when special education teacher Nicole Livingston confronted her in the hall as the pledge was playing over the school’s loudspeaker. The teacher allegedly demanded she stop walking and recite the pledge.

The lawsuit names the South Carolina Department of Education, Lexington County School District One, Livingston, and principal Jacob Smith, accusing them of negligence and violating Barnwell’s civil rights.

Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Barnwell said she was “completely and utterly disrespected” and that no one should ever have gone through what she experienced.

“I have never seen this lady a day in my life so when she approached me so angry and so upset I had not known what to react to her,” Barnwell said. “So she approached me, she grabbed me, she pushed me up against the wall, and I was not prepared for that.”

She said she stopped participating in the pledge of allegiance in third grade because she believes that the message of “liberty and justice for all” does not apply to everyone in the US.

“In those pledges, you say ‘liberty and justice for all’ but is America really liberty and justice for all?” she said.

Barnwell added she has continued attending the school, but she’s been upset by the fact that Livingston didn’t face any kind of consequence. The school district and the state department of education did not immediately return BuzzFeed News' request for a comment.

“No one has apologized, no one has acknowledged my hurt, the fact that the school is defending that kind of behavior is unimaginable,” Barnwell said.

According to the lawsuit, Livingston took an “upset and emotionally disturbed” Barnwell to the principal's office after the alleged assault. Smith, the principal, then allegedly told Barnwell he would review the security footage and sent her back to class.

Surveillance video provided to BuzzFeed News shows the teacher confronting Barnwell as other students and adults also walk through the hall. Shavell Barnwell, her father, questioned why she was singled out.

“Why would the teacher single out my daughter when you could clearly see that other students are walking in this video, but that particular day she zoomed in on my daughter and when she grabbed her, you could see the grab was a forceful grab and you could see she was holding on to her with aggression,” he said at the press conference.

Marissa Barnwell said she believes it was because she was the only Black girl in the hallway.

Is this teacher in the right or the wrong?
This teacher would be in the wrong. The Black girl got singled out by a white teacher and pushed up against the wall for not saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

How do you feel about Blacks targeting and assaulting Whites for not saying, “Black Lives Matter?”

That girl has a point when she explained why she doesn't say the pledge. Her issue is the end when we are to say, "With liberty and justice for all." I don't remember there ever once being justice for JonBenet Ramsey and Kaylee Anthony.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
I don't think thay've gotten justice yet.
Isn't Big Brother a white person?

View attachment 765272
Not when I was a kid and the black brothers tried to cut me in line at the high dive at the public pool.

First a little one cut in front of me, and I pushed him into the pool, then a bigger one my size cut in front of me, and I pushed him into the pool, too.

Then a bigger one a head taller than me cut me in line, and I pushed him into the pool, too.

Then there was an even bigger one like over 6 foot and he pushed me into the pool.

I was ready to fight, but this big Puerto-Rican stood up for me and there wasn't any fight and there weren't any more problems that day.

They didn't jump me (that was their plan) and they didn't get their asses kicked by me and the big Puerto-Rican (that was our plan).

There was 4-5 of them, and lemme tell ya, they were about to get hurt.

Cutoff is usually either end of September or November, so it tell me you dropped out in the third grade!

Also fifteen years old means she failed a year but a race baiting loser like you can’t do math!
You are a fucking idiot, if your birthday is after the cutoff date you can't start school until the next school year. So yes moron you wouldn't start kindergarten until you are 6yrs instead of 5yrs old.

The family of a South Carolina ninth grader is suing her school after they said a teacher pushed the 15-year-old into a wall because she refused to take the Pledge of Allegiance.

The lawsuit filed on Feb. 13 alleges that Marissa Barnwell, who attends River Bluff High School, was on her way to class on Nov. 29, 2022, when special education teacher Nicole Livingston confronted her in the hall as the pledge was playing over the school’s loudspeaker. The teacher allegedly demanded she stop walking and recite the pledge.

The lawsuit names the South Carolina Department of Education, Lexington County School District One, Livingston, and principal Jacob Smith, accusing them of negligence and violating Barnwell’s civil rights.

Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Barnwell said she was “completely and utterly disrespected” and that no one should ever have gone through what she experienced.

“I have never seen this lady a day in my life so when she approached me so angry and so upset I had not known what to react to her,” Barnwell said. “So she approached me, she grabbed me, she pushed me up against the wall, and I was not prepared for that.”

She said she stopped participating in the pledge of allegiance in third grade because she believes that the message of “liberty and justice for all” does not apply to everyone in the US.

“In those pledges, you say ‘liberty and justice for all’ but is America really liberty and justice for all?” she said.

Barnwell added she has continued attending the school, but she’s been upset by the fact that Livingston didn’t face any kind of consequence. The school district and the state department of education did not immediately return BuzzFeed News' request for a comment.

“No one has apologized, no one has acknowledged my hurt, the fact that the school is defending that kind of behavior is unimaginable,” Barnwell said.

According to the lawsuit, Livingston took an “upset and emotionally disturbed” Barnwell to the principal's office after the alleged assault. Smith, the principal, then allegedly told Barnwell he would review the security footage and sent her back to class.

Surveillance video provided to BuzzFeed News shows the teacher confronting Barnwell as other students and adults also walk through the hall. Shavell Barnwell, her father, questioned why she was singled out.

“Why would the teacher single out my daughter when you could clearly see that other students are walking in this video, but that particular day she zoomed in on my daughter and when she grabbed her, you could see the grab was a forceful grab and you could see she was holding on to her with aggression,” he said at the press conference.

Marissa Barnwell said she believes it was because she was the only Black girl in the hallway.

When I was growing up a student wouldn't think to disrespect the country by not reciting the pledge

Told her to turn around and face another direction which happened to be a wall
Liberals find emotionally stoked fakery everywhere.
Even if a child did say that, it’s still fake thus the thread title is fake.

The teacher was wrong. Humiliating and touching students is grounds for dismissal.

Forum List

Back