Previous child victim of man charged in Audrii Cunningham's murder says system failed her and Audrii

Ladybird

Mar 25, 2012

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Carissa Davis was one year younger than Audrii Cunningham when the man accused of Audrii's murder tried undressing her.

In March 2007, Davis - then 10 years old - said she was at a family gathering at her uncle's Brazoria County home.

Don Steven McDougal's sisters were friends of the family and brought him along, she said.

"He came into the room that me and my cousin were sleeping in," Davis recounted in an exclusive interview with Eyewitness News.

Davis said McDougal yanked her cousin from their bed and then got into bed with her.

"(He) tried to take down my pants, and I immediately jumped up at that moment," Davis said. "I remember looking at him. I was like, 'Do you know how old I am?'"

Davis said she raced for the door, but McDougal followed.

"He grabbed me, and when he did, I just swung my arm, and I hit him," Davis said.

That didn't stop McDougal from searching the house for her, but she said she alerted her aunt before he found her.

Davis said she recognized McDougal instantly when his photo surfaced after Audrii's disappearance and now wonders what would have happened had she been unable to break free.

SEE MORE: Family friend charged with capital murder in Audrii Cunningham's death

"Everybody was still asleep. I mean, my uncle's backyard was the woods. I mean, it could have been me," she said.

McDougal pleaded guilty to enticing a child and was sentenced to two years in prison but got credit for almost one-and-a-half years served.

Notably, he wasn't required to register as a sex offender and went on to face numerous other charges.

"I think Brazoria County definitely failed me and failed Audrii and possibly more," Davis said.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Carissa Davis was one year younger than Audrii Cunningham when the man accused of Audrii's murder tried undressing her.

In March 2007, Davis - then 10 years old - said she was at a family gathering at her uncle's Brazoria County home.

Don Steven McDougal's sisters were friends of the family and brought him along, she said.

"He came into the room that me and my cousin were sleeping in," Davis recounted in an exclusive interview with Eyewitness News.

Davis said McDougal yanked her cousin from their bed and then got into bed with her.

"(He) tried to take down my pants, and I immediately jumped up at that moment," Davis said. "I remember looking at him. I was like, 'Do you know how old I am?'"

Davis said she raced for the door, but McDougal followed.

"He grabbed me, and when he did, I just swung my arm, and I hit him," Davis said.

That didn't stop McDougal from searching the house for her, but she said she alerted her aunt before he found her.

Davis said she recognized McDougal instantly when his photo surfaced after Audrii's disappearance and now wonders what would have happened had she been unable to break free.

SEE MORE: Family friend charged with capital murder in Audrii Cunningham's death

"Everybody was still asleep. I mean, my uncle's backyard was the woods. I mean, it could have been me," she said.

McDougal pleaded guilty to enticing a child and was sentenced to two years in prison but got credit for almost one-and-a-half years served.

Notably, he wasn't required to register as a sex offender and went on to face numerous other charges.

"I think Brazoria County definitely failed me and failed Audrii and possibly more," Davis said.
I agree it failed her.

flipping texas, man. What are they trying to do, be the new "florida man"?

• In 2001, he was convicted of possession of marijuana in Liberty County.
  • In 2003, he was convicted of possession of marijuana in Harris County.
  • In 2003, he was convicted of possession of a dangerous drug in Liberty County.
  • In 2005, he was convicted in Baytown for evading arrest or detention.
  • In 2006, he was convicted of possession of a controlled substance in Harris County. (180 days state jail)
  • In 2006, he was convicted of theft in Harris County. (Eight months state jail)
  • In 2006, he was convicted of assault on a public servant. (Three years TDCJ)
  • In 2008, he was convicted of enticing a child with intent out of Brazoria County. (Two years TDCJ)
  • In 2009, he was convicted of unauthorized use of a vehicle in Harris County.
  • (180 days state jail)
  • In 2010, he was convicted of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. (Four years TDCJ)
  • In 2014, he was convicted of theft and reckless driving by HCSO.
  • In 2019, he pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in Liberty County. (270 days jail)
  • In 2023, he was convicted of resisting arrest.

Turns out that this homeless guy with a lengthy criminal record spanning decades was her babysitter! WTF!?!

:uhoh3:

Instead of the parents getting some teenaged girl from the neighborhood to babysit their little girl, they got a scary-looking violent drug addicted homeless hardened convict? A career criminal?

Great Idea. I nominate them for parents of the year.

Forum List

Back