36% have no nest egg- thank god SS is in good shape...26% age 50-64...

There is no incentive to save when the culture believes heavily in a debt nation.

I'll ask again. Why is it that if SS is such a wonderful program, it's mandatory instead of voluntary?

Why to modern liberals despise voluntary actions so much?

There is no incentive to save when the culture believes heavily in a debt nation.

I'll ask again. Why is it that if SS is such a wonderful program, it's mandatory instead of voluntary?

The Federal Reserve has done a lot of damage to the value of "saving" for the future. With ZIRP, there is a negative return on inflation adjusted savings. Many people think the stock market is too risky, so they might as well spend their money.

People are trying to save beyond SS but since I have been alive (76 years now) it has never been harder to save or put money away as wages are stagnated and prices are rising. People are squeezing by... just barely. Its hard to be able to afford to have a family even with two good incomes. Perhaps the answer is for middle class people not to have kids.

People are trying to save beyond SS but since I have been alive (76 years now) it has never been harder to save or put money away as wages are stagnated and prices are rising. People are squeezing by... just barely. Its hard to be able to afford to have a family even with two good incomes. Perhaps the answer is for middle class people not to have kids.

Perhaps the answer is to reduce the size and scope of the government so the economy starts growing again.

totally agree. because, the economy is not fixed. your tax dollars are paying for things they were never intended to be paying for so while your federal income tax hasn't increased, you are being bombarded with hidden taxes that make everything more expensive. look at a utility bill. cost of all products are up because of the transportation cost to get them there. the hidden taxes all along the way. we are experiencing a great deal of inflation but government covers it up becuase they do not want to increase your SS payments.

The Federal Reserve has done a lot of damage to the value of "saving" for the future. With ZIRP, there is a negative return on inflation adjusted savings. Many people think the stock market is too risky, so they might as well spend their money.

They are doing it now by holding interst rates so low. Older folks used to be able to build a nest egg and live rather comfortably off from the interest in accumulates. But in today's neo-Keynesian monetary policy world, they are eating their principle because there is what? .002% accumulative interest on the average savings account?

If we can make SS more profitable for people without paying some lousy financial advisor his/her cut, then let's do it.

i forgot to address your last point. how sad is it that the hard working middle class can not afford to have kids and is even thinking we can't afford them so we shouldn't have them, basically being reponsible. then on the other end of the spectrum, if you are at the bottom and living off taxpayer dollars you are incented to have more kids. it gets you more money. if you come here illegally, have kids, they are your anchor and will get you more money. we'll pay for your housing, food, provide you money to live on, pay for your education, your kids education. gas gards, phone cards, heating allotments. but you hard working middle class get nothing. WTF?

If we can make SS more profitable for people without paying some lousy financial advisor his/her cut, then let's do it.

Let the program stand on it's own merits. Make it an optional program going forward. But that won't happen, will it? And why is that?

Why not just let all people in on how to get the most out of it. Why not ALL people prospering? ALL should be privy to the best info for no cost.

Why not allow people to choose if they want to participate in the program? Is that really such a big deal to the program?

It's not voluntary for the simple reason those who do not save for retirement won't save for retirement with the money they receive by not paying payroll taxes. Then, when they can no longer work, they will be on the taxpayers dime.

Modern liberals? I can't speak for liberals, modern or otherwise, but I know this, if you choose not to take SS, I will support your voluntary choice.

You're in support of the Republican Creed: "I've got mine, fuck the rest of you!"
more like i earned mine, its about time you got out and earn yours too

Not everyone who needs government assistance is a slacker.
lets be honest, most are. and the programs were desiged for those who need temporary help. not those who make it a lifestyle generation after generation.

Let's be honest, describe the people who, "who make it a lifestyle generation after generation". Then, let's discuss the reasons (plural) why that might be.

They are doing it now by holding interst rates so low. Older folks used to be able to build a nest egg and live rather comfortably off from the interest in accumulates. But in today's neo-Keynesian monetary policy world, they are eating their principle because there is what? .002% accumulative interest on the average savings account?

Yet the interest charged by the banks are many times .002%. The banks are doing very well, are they not? Fees go up, rates don't go down and those too big to fail continue to grow. Let's not blame the government for this truth, it is the greed of the private sector.

That SS is in trouble is AARP's #1 myth...

If what you are saying is true, then people will flock to Mexico, Cuba, El Salvador, England, China, Russia,

Travel to International Cities and see people clamoring outside US Embassies clamoring to get in to US. You hate US and should move to Filed and Che's Cuba IMMEDIATELY

It's not voluntary for the simple reason those who do not save for retirement won't save for retirement with the money they receive by not paying payroll taxes. Then, when they can no longer work, they will be on the taxpayers dime.

Modern liberals? I can't speak for liberals, modern or otherwise, but I know this, if you choose not to take SS, I will support your voluntary choice.

So what you're saying, is that humans are stupid and can not make their decisions. There are other humans smart enough to do it for them.

:lmao:

Forum List

Back