20,000 gun laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Passing ineffective laws is doing nothing to fix the issue.
So by that, and by your logic, both parties are bent on passing ineffective laws.

You said yourself that you want more detailed background checks for anyone who wants to purchase a gun. This is exactly what Democrats have pushed and what the Republicans that YOU vote for have blocked.

Democrats blocked a school security bill. So, here we are, at the impassable impasse.

Nothing gets done because nobody is interested in getting anything done.

Raise the age limit? It's already 21 for handguns, yet murders continue unabated in this country, what effect would such a superfluous measure have on long guns?

I've already stated what I think needs to be done.
The Buffalo shooter and the Texas elementary school shooter didn’t use hand guns. They legally purchased long guns as 18-year-olds because they wanted to do maximum damage. The Buffalo shooter’s manifesto said just that.

Yes you have stated what you think needs to be done. And the people you vote for have blocked exactly what you suggested.

So by that, and by your logic, both parties are bent on passing ineffective laws.

Democrats blocked a school security bill. So, here we are, at the impassable impasse.
By my logic, Democrats are trying to pass universal background checks and expand these background checks - something we both agree would be effective.

Yet they can’t get it done because the Republicans YOU vote for refuse to expand background checks, calling it “hostile towards lawful gun owners and lawful firearm transactions.”

The Buffalo shooter and the Texas elementary school shooter didn’t use hand guns. They legally purchased long guns as 18-year-olds because they wanted to do maximum damage. The Buffalo shooter’s manifesto said just that.

So, what impact will raising the age limit have on shootings committed with long guns? The same as the 21 year age limit on handguns.

I think it has to do with their definition of "universal."

You should know by now that politicians rarely say what they mean.
You propose an idea. I show you that Republicans blocked it. Then you justify why they blocked it.

This is why nothing gets done.

Yet they can’t get it done because the Republicans YOU vote for refuse to expand background checks, calling it “hostile towards lawful gun owners and lawful firearm transactions.”

When democrats push for magazine size limits, set arbitrary and ill-informed definitions for what counts as a long gun and et cetera, they are not interested in getting anything done. They are only interested in agitating the other side, introducing things into bills they know they won't vote for.

The tactics are dirty and this kind of gamesmanship is why nothing gets done. So why do you vote for these people?

You propose an idea. I show you that Republicans blocked it. Then you justify why they blocked it.
Quick questions:

Did it ever occur to you that I might be upset with Republicans for blocking stuff like this?

Did it ever occur to you that I vote against Democrats because of their positions on other issues besides gun rights?

So, what impact will raising the age limit have on shootings committed with long guns? The same as the 21 year age limit on handguns.
What impact? Those 18-year-olds wouldn’t have been able to legally purchase them to shoot a bunch of people. That’s the impact.

Would they have been able to acquire the guns somehow? I don’t know. We know the elementary school shooter was a loner so I don’t think it’s likely. If he gets a gun through a straw purchase, then we throw that seller in jail.

If they wait until 21, then maybe they snap out of whatever psychotic thoughts they’re dealing with as teenagers in the next 3 years. If they’re still psychotic, then maybe psychologists will have been able to gather enough data on them in their early years of adulthood over the next 3 years to make them ineligible to purchase a gun.

Most importantly, this is a bipartisan effort to prevent this issue that Republican lawmakers in Florida agreed to implement.

Of course I'm justifying it. You are ignoring why they blocked it, going purely off of your emotions.
You’re making up bullshit to justify why they blocked it.

Their argument is calling it “hostile towards lawful gun owners and lawful firearm transactions.” Their exact words.

When democrats push for magazine size limits, set arbitrary and ill-informed definitions for what counts as a long gun and et cetera, they are not interested in getting anything done. They are only interested in agitating the other side, introducing things into bills they know they won't vote for.

The tactics are dirty and this kind of gamesmanship is why nothing gets done. So why do you vote for these people?
They are interested in getting things done. You guys just refuse to budge on anything related to your precious guns. You’re the perfect example of that.

You say you want more in-depths background checks and then vote for the people who block exactly that.

There are 20,000+ gun laws on the books in America. Which one would have stopped the school shooter yesterday? None of them. Because they are not being enforced.

I think the GOP needs to pass gun legislation next January when they control the Congress. After all, the democrats are screaming for gun laws! The bill will go like this:
  1. Anyone registered as democrat banned from owning firearms.
  2. Leftwing atheists are banned from owning firearms.
  3. No more than three democrats can publicly assemble.
  4. All democrats are to be closely monitors and supervised for any subversive behavior.
  5. Everyone else is given a government coupon to own 1 additional free firearm to help control democrats.
Just remember, democrats WANT gun legislation, let's not disappoint them!

Quick questions:

Did it ever occur to you that I might be upset with Republicans for blocking stuff like this?

Did it ever occur to you that I vote against Democrats because of their positions on other issues besides gun rights?
No, it didn’t.

You‘re so upset with them that you justify their blocking of what you suggested, that you and I actually agree on.

No, it didn’t.

You‘re so upset with them that you justify their blocking of what you suggested, that you and I actually agree on.
Yeah, because that's not the only thing they're blocking. When Democrats stop sneaking things into bills they know the Republicans will block and will introduce clean legislation with items addressing the specific issue at hand, maybe then they will be more inclined to vote for it.

I'm telling you what Democrats could do to actually bring them to the table.

Yeah, because that's not the only thing they're blocking. When Democrats stop sneaking things into bills they know the Republicans will block and will introduce clean legislation with items addressing the specific issue at hand, maybe then they will be more inclined to vote for it.

I'm telling you what Democrats could do to actually bring them to the table.
You bring up an idea. We agree on it. Democrats propose it. Republicans block it. You justify Republicans blocking it.

No, I don’t think you’re upset with their actions on this at all.

Curious, I'm not allowed in the chamber. I didn't vote for or against the bill.

But I am aware of the dirty tricks and maneuvering done by both sides.
You‘re not saying anything specific about these “dirty tricks” you’re referring to. You just assume it was a dirty trick so you can mindlessly fall in line with their actions even when they go directly against what you suggested.

You‘re not saying anything specific about these “dirty tricks” you’re referring to.

You ever notice how big some of these bills are that are introduced to the floor? That's because there are always superfluous items being added to the bill itself that have anything to do with the issue the bill is intended to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back