CDZ Would anyone agree that we should "MAKE AMERICA AFFORDABLE AGAIN" ???

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
1. Tell us all about about the products you remember buying, and them costing very reasonable prices, and how they lasted for years.

2. If prices were lowered for specific nation building materials or items like lumber, gas, and other important products, wouldn't it spur an economic boom that would bring back this nations prosperity, and empower individual American's again ???

Example - Me and the wife purchased a Kenmore washer and dryer that lasted for over 20 years. It was reasonably priced, and the quality superb. The benefits were that we we're slightly empowered by our choice because we didn't have to buy a washer and dryer every 4 years. The landfills benefitted because they weren't growing at astronomical rates, the companies benefit by gaining long term customers, and the environment benefitted because we weren't generating pollution at astronomical rates.

Lumber was so reasonably priced that one could purchase products to build his own home in which then empowered the person to not be in debt for years and years if had to have it built by contractors and a bank. American's also benefitted from learning skills nessesary to take full advantage of the savings, and the ability to purchase products that set in motion and economic boom for them and their families for years to come.

Now what are the downsides to "MAKING AMERICA AFFORDABLE AGAIN" ???

HAVE WE GONE TO FAR TO TURN BACK NOW ???

Well, consumption depends on having consumers around; drop wages to much lower than the inflation rate for several decades, you get a lot cheaper wage rate but far less consumption, that's all. Higher wages are an ideological no no for conservatives and left winger alike, so forget raising wages to match real inflation, and just count on the race to the bottom to take care of it all for us. It most certainly will cure the problem, it's just that nobody is going to like the 'cure'.

We know labor racketeering is a failure, as shipping jobs overseas, in spite of rapidly falling real wages domestically, is a sure road to failure and Third World shithole status, many parts of the U.S. are already there, and growing, tax cuts for the top 1% haven't worked, and they've been passing them for decades as well, they just invest more in overseas labor racketeering, tax breaks for stick market gambling is of course amazingly stupid policy, as always, so what's next?

Last edited:
Well, consumption depends on having consumers around; drop wages to much lower than the inflation rate for several decades, you get a lot cheaper wage rate but far less consumption, that's all. Higher wages are an ideological no no for conservatives and left winger alike, so forget raising wages to match real inflation, and just count on the race to the bottom to take care of it all for us. It most certainly will cure the problem, it's just that nobody is going to like the 'cure'.
. Talking wages, but what about companies figuring out ways to make better products, and make them more affordable again ?? The balance was struck years ago, and the economic boom followed.

I remember when a 2 × 4 was only around 97 cents etc. Either the wages go up or the prices come down in order to spur the economy to greatness once again. Right ??

1. Tell us all about about the products you remember buying, and them costing very reasonable prices, and how they lasted for years.

2. If prices were lowered for specific nation building materials or items like lumber, gas, and other important products, wouldn't it spur an economic boom that would bring back this nations prosperity, and empower individual American's again ???

Example - Me and the wife purchased a Kenmore washer and dryer that lasted for over 20 years. It was reasonably priced, and the quality superb. The benefits were that we we're slightly empowered by our choice because we didn't have to buy a washer and dryer every 4 years. The landfills benefitted because they weren't growing at astronomical rates, the companies benefit by gaining long term customers, and the environment benefitted because we weren't generating pollution at astronomical rates.

Lumber was so reasonably priced that one could purchase products to build his own home in which then empowered the person to not be in debt for years and years if had to have it built by contractors and a bank. American's also benefitted from learning skills nessesary to take full advantage of the savings, and the ability to purchase products that set in motion and economic boom for them and their families for years to come.

I just bought a tv. It was top of the line 40" for $320. Years ago I bought a 50" HD for $5000. Things are just fine.

Now, if the democrats get the minimum wage up to $15, I won't be able to afford a hamburger!

I just bought a tv. It was top of the line 40" for $320. Years ago I bought a 50" HD for $5000. Things are just fine.
.As far as TV's go you are right, but is that the true nuts and bolts that build and show the nation's strength outwardly ?? Nope.. We need American's working and building again, and this means giving American's the power, tools, and materials to make a real difference again. We came from poverty in the 20's and 30's to build a grand and powerful nation, but we have been heading in the wrong direction for decades now.

. Talking wages, but what about companies figuring out ways to make better products, and make them more affordable again ?? The balance was struck years ago, and the economic boom followed.

I remember when a 2 × 4 was only around 97 cents etc. Either the wages go up or the prices come down in order to spur the economy to greatness once again. Right ??

Of course the answer was most companies in the past were small to mid-sized, and weren't owned by Wall Street speculators; they were the bulk of employers and jog providers, and there was some competition then for workers and on quality of stuff produced; that doesn't exist these days, the consolidation of industry is almost total now.

Those who subscribe to Standard and Poor's 500 Guide, for the most active stocks of the previous year, can see at a glance how much of any company's stock is owned by institutions, and they also know it's rare to see one with less than 75% ownership, and very common to see 90% or more as the number of shares voted by institutional owners. Compare those ratios with pre-1980's percentages, and you have a big part of the answer to some of your issues.

As for labor costs, they were higher back then, in real terms, yet 16 year olds had no problems finding part time jobs, and companies didn't complain about workers having no skills, they trained them themselves, What's different now? They get tax breaks and govt. subsidies to buy themselves slave labor in places like Viet Nam and Red China, and we have an even more amoral 'business class' who doesn't hesitate over exploiting them, nor do they have a problem with making a country like Red China a super power, as long as it helps their short term bottom line.

I wish to respectfully ask the op just how this part;

If prices were lowered for specific nation building materials or items like lumber, gas, and other important products, wouldn't it spur an economic boom that would bring back this nations prosperity, and empower individual American's again ???

Works in real life.

Who exactly lowers prices? Lumber for example.....does the government mandate lumberjacks work for free?
Subsidies perhaps? Hmmmm, very close to controlling the means of production and distribution. Thats sounds familiar i may have heard of it before....

Please enlighten me, I eagerly await your reply.

Now, if the democrats get the minimum wage up to $15, I won't be able to afford a hamburger!

Really? I took the wife to a hamburger joint the other day, one that served them up like 'the good old days', and it took $36 to get out of there. They aren't paying any more than anybody else for waitresses or cooks, so obviously it isn't labor costs. Getting a meal at a fast food place, of distinctly lower quality and zero flavor is around $6-$7 bucks, and minimum wage has been stuck at $7 or so for a very long time. You still think it's 'labor costs' that are causing the problem? lol that's rich.

Remember when Reagan supported the meat packing industry when they wanted to ship in scabs from Mexico to bust up the union strikes in the Midwest in the 1980s'? The packer won, so why can't anybody show me where these ' much lower labor costs' ever showed up in the prices at the stores? I can find where wholesale prices of meat actually went up, rather steeply, after the strikes were settled and the $8 an hour criminal illegal aliens were given the green light to take jobs from Americans, though. Maybe all the 'conservatives' here have magical secret charts and data that show lower prices or something.

Last edited:

.As far as TV's go you are right, but is that the true nuts and bolts that build and show the nation's strength outwardly ?? Nope.. We need American's working and building again, and this means giving American's the power, tools, and materials to make a real difference again. We came from poverty in the 20's and 30's to build a grand and powerful nation, but we have been heading in the wrong direction for decades now.

We also had strong immigration restrictions for decades as well, from 1920 to 1965. There's that little fact ...

If prices were lowered for specific nation building materials or items like lumber, gas, and other important products, wouldn't it spur an economic boom that would bring back this nations prosperity, and empower individual American's again ???

Works in real life.

Who exactly lowers prices? Lumber for example.....does the government mandate lumberjacks work for free?
Subsidies perhaps? Hmmmm, very close to controlling the means of production and distribution. Thats sounds familiar i may have heard of it before....

.No ideas here.. Just wanting the nation to return to the times we all remember, and how it allowed for so many of us to become enriched over time by it all. Now so many are just left out, while the few amass wealth unimaginable.

We also had strong immigration restrictions for decades as well, from 1920 to 1965. There's that little fact ...
.Yes, the puzzel can be pieced back together for sure, and the sad thing is that people know the answers, but they kick the puzzel off of the table so prying eyes can't put it together in order to see the whole picture.

Exactly my first computer was over $5,000 bucks , today my little cell phone @ $100 bucks has like 3 times the power.

My first VCR $450

My first scanner $1,000

Works in real life.

.No ideas here.. Just wanting the nation to return to the times we all remember, and how it allowed for so many of us to become enriched over time by it all. Now so many are just left out, while the few amass wealth unimaginable.

I see. Monetarily speaking I may be the poorest here on usmb, i literally live in a line shack on the range. Yet I consider myself very fortunate.
I also do not believe that the few that amass wealth unimaginable are preventing anyone else who wish that sort of thing to obtain it.

Exactly my first computer was over $5,000 bucks , today my little cell phone @ $100 bucks has like 3 times the power.

My first VCR $450

My first scanner $1,000

.I Wonder what cost to other countries labor forces did it take to get those products on the massive production scale it was on in order to give you those prices ?? I mean did we cause a population explosion in slave labor forces abroad, that are sadly terribly dependent on us today ??? How far have we traveled down the rabbit hole ?

Works in real life.

I see. Monetarily speaking I may be the poorest here on usmb, i literally live in a line shack on the range. Yet I consider myself very fortunate.
I also do not believe that the few that amass wealth unimaginable are preventing anyone else who wish that sort of thing to obtain it.
. Wouldn't it be nice that if you wanted to expand your shack out on the range, that you could do it ?? Is that asking to much really ?

Forum List

Back