Woodwork project.

Ernie S.

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
My sister is one of those artsy craftst kind of people and wants to get into some kind of Japanese braiding called kumihimo for which she needs a special table like fixture named marudai.
Poor girl is about to turn 64, so I figured I'd see what I can do. This is a picture of some of the possible kumihimo braids that she wants to make.
images
Here is a photo of my nearly complete marudai. It still needs some sanding on the legs and a coat of polyurethane.
Sis says I could sell these for about $100 each.
CAM00486.jpg

That top plate is 2" hard maple 10" in diameter with a 8" radius depression leaving about 1/2" of the 2" diameter center hole.

Next project is a dining room table and then some cutting boards for gifts.

I agree...............Wonder if he has a Lathe......................

You can actually make one out of an old motor if you are creative.......use hand cutters.........but I'm not that creative.

My sister is one of those artsy craftst kind of people and wants to get into some kind of Japanese braiding called kumihimo for which she needs a special table like fixture named marudai.
Poor girl is about to turn 64, so I figured I'd see what I can do. This is a picture of some of the possible kumihimo braids that she wants to make.
images
Here is a photo of my nearly complete marudai. It still needs some sanding on the legs and a coat of polyurethane.
Sis says I could sell these for about $100 each.View attachment 64331

That top plate is 2" hard maple 10" in diameter with a 8" radius depression leaving about 1/2" of the 2" diameter center hole.

Very nice work, it is so good to see skilled craftsman do their thing. And, if you can sell them then why aren't you!

Going to wait until she turns out some kumihimo and then we'll take some photos and see if we can market them. I believe I have a source of butcher block table tops. I may be able to make them for the cost of running the tops through a 36" planer a friend of a friend has plus dowels and band saw blades. Possible I might make a fixture so I can rough out the depression with a 7.5 inch blade in the table saw.

You can actually make one out of an old motor if you are creative.......use hand cutters.........but I'm not that creative.
What's the countdown for in your sig?

What's the countdown for in your sig?
I put the foot in my mouth on not to name call in another thread.........Tilly held me to it............Was just joking at first and she called me on it...............

Basically you are fucked.... It happens to everybody every once in a while... Well, enjoy it!

images
Sis says I could sell these for about $100 each.View attachment 64331

You have a wood lathe?
........never mind.

that is what he would buy lol.....has to be big enough to turn table legs etc

Thats kinda why I got bored with it.
Other than making bowls,bats and table legs they're pretty limited unless you're really into woodworking and make your own plugs and the like.

While I still like to build stuff from wood on occasion I've moved on to welding and fabrication because you can build way more useful stuff like trailers,off road buggies,BBQ pits,steel targets for the range and fire pits.

Nice work. If it keeps you busy or you like messing around and getting payed it might be a decent gig but at $100 a pop you aren't really making money. maybe you could throw some black laquer on it and double the price?

Forum List

Back