Woman Spits In Soldier's Face

An update to this appauling story:

Syracuse woman explains why she spit at soldier
Posted by Jim O'Hara March 20, 2007 4:04PM

A Syracuse woman accused of spitting in the face of a Fort Drum soldier at Hancock Airport pleaded guilty today, offering an apology and an explanation.

Lauren Maggi had been verbally abused on the phone by a male acquaintance who is in the military at Fort Drum, and she "displaced her anger" when she encountered the victim as she walked through the airport, defense lawyer Louis Mannara said.

"I was crushed that people saw this as an anti-uniform, anti-war gesture," Maggi said. Maggi said she is a registered Republican who twice voted for President George W. Bush and supports the administration's war effort and the soldiers who are carrying out that mission.

Maggi, 35, pleaded guilty to second-degree harassment in connection with Nov. 22 incident.

Authorities said Maggi had walked up to Jason Jones, 21, near the United Airlines ticket counter, asked him if he was a Fort Drum soldier and then spat in his face when he said that he was.
http://blog.syracuse.com/news/2007/03/syracuse_woman_explains_why_sh.html

She probably voted for Kerry

We all know how libs feel about the "uneducated" members of the military
You were so wrong, again.

I can’t believe the big brouhaha over this. She didn’t physically assault him or cause him or anyone else any pain or long-lasting trauma, she spit at him! Like that's never happened before :rolleyes:. All sorts of monstrosities against women are committed daily, often without an reprimand or just a smack on the hands. As per usual, things are sensationalized and misplaced anger and hate. Yes, what she did was wrong, inappropriate and uncalled for...but give me a break…second degree harassment!

Where's the outrage here?

CHICAGO (AP) — An off-duty police officer in street clothes was caught on video by a bar surveillance camera beating up a female bartender half his size, authorities said.

Anthony Abbate, a 12-year veteran of the Chicago force, was charged with aggravated battery and placed on leave pending an internal investigation in the attack Feb. 19 as several bystanders watched, department spokeswoman Monique Bond said Wednesday. She said Abbate is expected to be fired.

VIDEO: Brutal beating, idle bystanders caught on tape

The video from Jessie's Short Stop Inn Tavern, shown on television around the nation, shows the 250-pound Abbate shouting at the 115-pound bartender, then walking behind the bar and punching, kicking and throwing her to the ground.

The woman, whose name authorities haven't released, suffered bruises to her head, neck, back and lower body. Her attorney, Terry Ekl, did not immediately return a call Wednesday. He told WFLD-TV that the attack began after the bartender refused to serve Abbate.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Wednesday | Williams | Attorneys | Monique Bond | Anthony Abbate | Ekl

Prosecutors say the bartender tried to stop him from attacking another patron. Abbate chased the patron behind the bar, at one point wielding a chair, according to Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state's attorney's office.

Abbate, 38, was arrested Tuesday night at his home. Bond said authorities were notified of the incident on Feb. 21 but were unable to locate Abbate until mid-March.

He was held on $70,000 bond Wednesday. Abbate's lawyer, William Fahey, did not return calls seeking comment. He told the Chicago Tribune that his client had completed a substance abuse treatment program and had never been disciplined since joining the police department in 1994.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-22-bartender-police-officer_N.htm?POE=NEWISVA

==================
Woman Hit By Truck While Walking On Sidewalk

POSTED: 7:00 am EDT March 21, 2007
UPDATED: 7:13 am EDT March 21, 2007

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A woman was in serious condition Wednesday morning after Orange County deputies said a man deliberately ran her over.

The woman and her friend were apparently walking down the side of the road near Orange Blossom trail and Jordan Avenue late Tuesday night when the accident happened. Deputies said the man responsible wanted their attention and wasn't taking no for an answer.

All that remained as deputies scoured the scene were a pair of shoes and discarded purse. Investigators said they belong to a woman who refused to give a driver the attention he was looking for.

"They were ignoring him and as they walked into a business area. He intentionally drove on the sidewalk and struck one of the women with the pickup truck," said Sgt. Spike Hopkins of the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said their victim was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center in serious condition. They are looking for the man behind of the wheel of the gold Ford pick-up truck that ran her over.

"It should have some damage, especially to the front end," added Hopkins.

Investigators said that when they find him he'll be in for a ride of his own, getting all the attention he seemed to want and more.

"When we catch this person he's looking at, at the least, aggravated battery with a motor vehicle and possibly attempted murder," Hopkins said.

Deputies said the truck was a gold Ford Ranger pick-up with front-end damage and a missing mirror.
http://www.wftv.com/news/11315838/detail.html

I can’t believe the big brouhaha over this. She didn’t physically assault him or cause him or anyone else any pain or long-lasting trauma, she spit at him! Like that's never happened before :rolleyes:. All sorts of monstrosities against women are committed daily, often without an reprimand or just a smack on the hands. As per usual, things are sensationalized and misplaced anger and hate. Yes, what she did was wrong, inappropriate and uncalled for...but give me a break…second degree harassment!
:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? It's a felony to spit on certain uniformed personnel in many States and quite frankly, she should have been charged with assault. This isn't many places of the world, this is the US. This guy showed restraint. Had this guy backhanded the shit out of her, you'd be crying about how uncivilized America is towards women.

Where's the outrage here?
What is your point in posting those articles? Did you even read the articles before you posted them?

"Anthony Abbate, a 12-year veteran of the Chicago force, was charged with aggravated battery and placed on leave pending an internal investigation in the attack Feb. 19 as several bystanders watched, department spokeswoman Monique Bond said Wednesday. She said Abbate is expected to be fired."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-22-bartender-police-officer_N.htm?POE=NEWISVA

"When we catch this person he's looking at, at the least, aggravated battery with a motor vehicle and possibly attempted murder," Hopkins said."
http://www.wftv.com/news/11315838/detail.html

I have to say, I believe that spitting on another human being is one the most vile, disgusting, degrading and contemptuous things on human can do to another. It's not the worst thing, but it is probably in the top ten.

What is your point in posting those articles?

I meant the fake outrage on here. Also the original article I read, talked about how patrons of the bar were just watching instead of helping but I couldn't bother find that article.

The point is that abuse against women is been happening for sooo long and still continue to does but it never seems to make front page news and after all this time it still happens. I don't see how him being spat at his any worse ...just because he's in a uniform?

I have to say, I believe that spitting on another human being is one the most vile, disgusting, degrading and contemptuous things on human can do to another. It's not the worst thing, but it is probably in the top ten.

Worse than getting raped or the shit beat out of you?:rolleyes:

Yup, exactly.
Yep, where a Soldier who was spat on responded by calling the police. How uncivilized. Come on Puddles, you don't have to reach. I'm sure there are plenty of articles that you can spin to satisfy your anti-American cravings.

Worse than getting raped or the shit beat out of you?:rolleyes:

I said it wasn't the worst, just that it was in the top ten, so there is no need for the eye rolling. Rape and murder have got to be the top two. I'd certainly rather suffer a beat down than be spat upon, at least that way I have a chance to defend myself, so I'd say that having the shit beat out of you is lower on the scale.

I meant the fake outrage on here. Also the original article I read, talked about how patrons of the bar were just watching instead of helping but I couldn't bother find that article.

The point is that abuse against women is been happening for sooo long and still continue to does but it never seems to make front page news and after all this time it still happens. I don't see how him being spat at his any worse ...just because he's in a uniform?
There was no fake outrage, that was genuine. When the story first came out it was reported that a woman spit on a Soldier just because he was a Soldier in uniform. I just wanted to update the story because as it turns out she was a Republican, voted for Bush twice, and she said she spat on him for personal reasons.

The Republicans have been metaphorically spitting in soldiers' and veterans' faces for years... just because this incident came with a little real-life spittle doesn't make it all that big of a deal.

I'm pretty sure any soldier I know can withstand the force of some spit hurled by a woman's mouth.

The Republicans have been metaphorically spitting in soldiers' and veterans' faces for years... just because this incident came with a little real-life spittle doesn't make it all that big of a deal.

I'm pretty sure any soldier I know can withstand the force of some spit hurled by a woman's mouth.
And he did. The police were called and she was charged. Do you have a problem with the charges and the resolution of the case?

And he did. The police were called and she was charged. Do you have a problem with the charges and the resolution of the case?

Nope. Handled as it should have been. Still not that big of a deal.

And, now that she's explained herself it's even less of a deal. Nothing more than a disgusting exaggeration by the right in an attempt to pretend that anti-war protesters are spitting on soldiers.

Nope. Handled as it should have been. Still not that big of a deal.

And, now that she's explained herself it's even less of a deal. Nothing more than a disgusting exaggeration by the right in an attempt to pretend that anti-war protesters are spitting on soldiers.
It appeared that way when it was reported which is why I updated the story. Despite Puddles's claims, this story didn't get much coverage or outrage. But just for clarification, are you saying that spitting on a Soldier in uniform because someone is against the war is no big deal?

It appeared that way when it was reported which is why I updated the story. Despite Puddles's claims, this story didn't get much coverage or outrage. But just for clarification, are you saying that spitting on a Soldier in uniform because someone is against the war is no big deal?

It was wrong to spit in Jane Fonda’s face. It was wrong to spit in a soldier’s face. Spitting is just wrong no matter what the reason. It shows a gross lack of class in any case.

Such an action would be abhorrent. But, that's not what happened here at all. Not even close. So, all your hypotheticals will have to wait until it really happens.

Let's see though, how was this particular incident different?

1) The soldier wasn't in uniform.
2) The spitter supports the war and twice voted for President Bush.

The general rule in personal rights is that your rights end at my chin... or something like that. I agree with that general idea and spitting on someone is going past that boundary. But, I don't think any soldiers are going to be crying or anything if someone spits on them. I know I wouldn't. I'd simply chaulk it up to "stupid bitch."

Forum List

Back