With Donald Trump's Iowa landslide, evangelicals reveal who they really are

This article from Salon really hits the nail on the head.

the religious right emerged directly as a reaction to the civil rights movement, as a way for segregationists to justify their racism on the grounds of faith rather than bigotry. The architects of modern American evangelicalism, such as Jerry Falwell, often got their start by pushing the view that the Bible demands the separation of the races. The infrastructure of the modern evangelical movement, especially its schools, grew up as a way to establish white-only spaces after the federal ban on most forms of racial discrimination.

Trump may not believe in faith or salvation, but he sure believes in racism and sexism. That Iowa evangelicals turned out to back Trump isn't a betrayal of their values. It reveals the values that always fueled their movement. It's just the last bit of plausible deniability has faded away.

I kind of take this as some kind of vindication. Over forty years ago I took the pulpit in one of the largest churches in the area. I was a senior in High School, and an award winning speaker, nationally ranked in Forensics, national winner with the American Legion. My church had a senior Sunday, where seniors took over the service. Traditionally, a seminary student would deliver the sermon, but they thought it was a good idea to give me the sermon. I mean what could go wrong?

So, I took it and ran with it. The quoted above is pretty much what I said. Jerry Falwell, the moral majority, well I demonstrated that they weren't moral, that they were not walking with Christ, that they were white supremist, no longer hiding behind a white coat and hood, but hiding behind the bible.

I mean come on, Ronald Reagan was running for president, against Jimmy Carter, and the evangelical movement was behind Reagan. WTF? How the hell does that make any sense? And that was just the beginning. Now look where we are at. So called "Christain" evangelicals backing a low life scumbag like Donald Trump. Do these people have no sense of decency? Do they even bother to read the Bible?

But anyways, after the service, as was customary, I walked out with the preacher and then stood at the door greeting parishioners as they exited. The poor preacher, he was looking for a rock to hide under. And man didn't I get some icy glances. But there were some of them that gave me a big bear hug and said they were happy someone had the guts to lay reality out there.

But that was forty years ago. There hasn't been a senior Sunday since then. I killed it. I couldn't be more proud.

Trump good dems so bad.jpg

Evangelicals will hold their noses, suspend their core beliefs, and ignore his sins because he will implement their end goals for them.

The ends justify the means to them.

Except the Mormons. Gotta give them props. At least they are consistent. :)
So they should vote for the demonic loon side of the isle instead…sure.

So they should vote for the demonic loon side of the isle instead…sure.
Which has to do with what?...Answer. Nothing. That's not what the thread is about. No evangelical is going to vote for a Democrat.
This is about evangelicals being hypocrites and suspending their beliefs and morals for an end game goal...which makes them....faux evangelicals. :)

Except the Mormons. They're hardcore.

Which has to do with what?...Answer. Nothing. That's not what the thread is about. No evangelical is going to vote for a Democrat.
This is about evangelicals being hypocrites and suspending their beliefs and morals for an end game goal...which makes them....faux evangelicals. :)

Except the Mormons. They're hardcore.

They vote for the person that will protect their interests, they aren't inviting him to dinner or to marry their daughters.

And suspend and ignore their supposed just and righteous belief in God, The Bible, and all they pray for in church every Sunday to do it. :)

They worry about their own souls, if Trump goes to hell while protecting their interests, how does that concern them?

the religious right emerged directly as a reaction to the civil rights movement, as a way for segregationists to justify their racism on the grounds of faith rather than bigotry. The architects of modern American evangelicalism, such as Jerry Falwell, often got their start by pushing the view that the Bible demands the separation of the races. The infrastructure of the modern evangelical movement, especially its schools, grew up as a way to establish white-only spaces after the federal ban on most forms of racial discrimination.

Trump may not believe in faith or salvation, but he sure believes in racism and sexism. That Iowa evangelicals turned out to back Trump isn't a betrayal of their values. It reveals the values that always fueled their movement. It's just the last bit of plausible deniability has faded away.

I kind of take this as some kind of vindication. Over forty years ago I took the pulpit in one of the largest churches in the area. I was a senior in High School, and an award winning speaker, nationally ranked in Forensics, national winner with the American Legion. My church had a senior Sunday, where seniors took over the service. Traditionally, a seminary student would deliver the sermon, but they thought it was a good idea to give me the sermon. I mean what could go wrong?

So, I took it and ran with it. The quoted above is pretty much what I said. Jerry Falwell, the moral majority, well I demonstrated that they weren't moral, that they were not walking with Christ, that they were white supremist, no longer hiding behind a white coat and hood, but hiding behind the bible.

I mean come on, Ronald Reagan was running for president, against Jimmy Carter, and the evangelical movement was behind Reagan. WTF? How the hell does that make any sense? And that was just the beginning. Now look where we are at. So called "Christain" evangelicals backing a low life scumbag like Donald Trump. Do these people have no sense of decency? Do they even bother to read the Bible?

But anyways, after the service, as was customary, I walked out with the preacher and then stood at the door greeting parishioners as they exited. The poor preacher, he was looking for a rock to hide under. And man didn't I get some icy glances. But there were some of them that gave me a big bear hug and said they were happy someone had the guts to lay reality out there.

But that was forty years ago. There hasn't been a senior Sunday since then. I killed it. I couldn't be more proud.

Right, a real Christian would vote for Biden the pedophile racist crime boss, your double standards are just unreal, vermin

The libtards are desperate to pour cold water on Trump's historic Iowa win!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I don't know much about any "libtards"......but I will agree that the Trump win in Iowa was 'historic' in the sense that it was the largest margin any GOP primary 'winner' has had over the also-rans.

Still, for a former president, just 3yrs out of office, running in a Republican primary, in a rural red state like Iowa.....he could only convince half of the Republicans to vote for him. Is that a concern for the GOP?

Also of note ---Iowa doesn't look like the rest of America. It is about 80% rural, 90% white. That ain't what America is like today. Maybe back in the 1870's.....but not in 2024.

Also of note, Trump won big in the rural-est of rural Iowa; however, in the 'urban' areas of Iowa, their cities....Trump lost by a 3:1 margin.

That too may be of concern to the GOP

Still, for a former president, just 3yrs out of office, running in a Republican primary, in a rural red state like Iowa.....he could only convince half of the Republicans to vote for him. Is that a concern for the GOP?
No concern at all. Let's step back and discuss the bigger picture. The legacy establishment control in both parties is crumbling, by that I mean the RIGGED selection of the nominee. First to break this pattern was president Obama. Hillary was the establishment's nominee, pre-selected, pre-purchased. Obama went out there and took the nomination from her with a brilliant primary grass roots effort. While I had grave concerns about his lack of experience I loved that the people thumbed the establishment in the eye.

Next up was the Republicans. First the tea party revolt challenging the GOP establishment control of the party. That pissed off the GOP establishment to no end. Then came Trump, they hated that some outsider who wasn't purchased and controlled by the party dared take the nomination away from them. I had the same grave concerns about Trump's lack of experience.

In both cases (Obama and Trump) when I weighed their lack of experience against the colossal track record of FAILURE by these so called 'professional' politicians well they could hardly do any worse than the pro's right. The professional politicians and party establishments have done everything they can to RIG the entire election and governing process to eliminate the people from having choice or influence. I think these disruptions to the establishment's RIGGING is healthy. We can see that more so with Trump, Washington absolutely hates the man because he threw a monkey wrench in the whole corrupt rigged mess.

So yes, Trump has some competitors. I don't mind one bit Trump having to take the fight to the people and EARN their approval for a 2nd term. Better that than the party purchasing the guy and rigging the nomination for him.

Well, I don't know much about any "libtards"......but I will agree that the Trump win in Iowa was 'historic' in the sense that it was the largest margin any GOP primary 'winner' has had over the also-rans.

Also of note ---Iowa doesn't look like the rest of America. It is about 80% rural, 90% white. That ain't what America is like today. Maybe back in the 1870's.....but not in 2024.

Also of note, Trump won big in the rural-est of rural Iowa; however, in the 'urban' areas of Iowa, their cities....Trump lost by a 3:1 margin.

That too may be of concern to the GOP
:itsok:

HUGE historical ignorance on display here.

Your failure understand history, and your unwillingness to learn it, will be the death of the left.

So, what you are saying is that people with college degrees are the smart ones. So, if they are and are Progs why are they not letting in the peasants to live in their local areas? Martha's Vinyard is an example. So many more. And now Progs are pushing for people living in homes to house many immigrants. Of course, the homeless/impoverished are not far behind. Only we know the well to do college educated Progs living in swanky neighborhoods will be off limits.

Right, a real Christian would vote for Biden the pedophile racist crime boss, your double standards are just unreal, vermin
So typical of a Trumptard. You people really don't live in the real world. You live in a fantasy world, Walter Mitty style. I mean let's break your claim down.

Pedophile: You MAGA asshats like to make that claim about Biden. Admittedly, sometimes he is a little awkward around children. But hey, at least he ain't sneaking into beauty pageant dressing rooms filled with underaged girls. Now THAT is creepy.

Racist: Hard to make that claim when Biden has the most diverse cabinet ever, has a woman of color as his VP, nominated more black females to federal courts, including the first black female SCOTUS justice, than all other presidents combined. Trump, on the other hand, look at his cabinet, and his court appointees, and his history of red-lining, including a court settlement.

Crime boss: That one kind of takes the cake. Trump IS a crime boss. He acts like one, he carries himself like one, he talks like one, and the courts tend to agree. What is it, 91 indictments now? Even more telling, he openly admires members of "the family".

Forum List

Back