With Donald Trump's Iowa landslide, evangelicals reveal who they really are

This article from Salon really hits the nail on the head.

the religious right emerged directly as a reaction to the civil rights movement, as a way for segregationists to justify their racism on the grounds of faith rather than bigotry. The architects of modern American evangelicalism, such as Jerry Falwell, often got their start by pushing the view that the Bible demands the separation of the races. The infrastructure of the modern evangelical movement, especially its schools, grew up as a way to establish white-only spaces after the federal ban on most forms of racial discrimination.

Trump may not believe in faith or salvation, but he sure believes in racism and sexism. That Iowa evangelicals turned out to back Trump isn't a betrayal of their values. It reveals the values that always fueled their movement. It's just the last bit of plausible deniability has faded away.

I kind of take this as some kind of vindication. Over forty years ago I took the pulpit in one of the largest churches in the area. I was a senior in High School, and an award winning speaker, nationally ranked in Forensics, national winner with the American Legion. My church had a senior Sunday, where seniors took over the service. Traditionally, a seminary student would deliver the sermon, but they thought it was a good idea to give me the sermon. I mean what could go wrong?

So, I took it and ran with it. The quoted above is pretty much what I said. Jerry Falwell, the moral majority, well I demonstrated that they weren't moral, that they were not walking with Christ, that they were white supremist, no longer hiding behind a white coat and hood, but hiding behind the bible.

I mean come on, Ronald Reagan was running for president, against Jimmy Carter, and the evangelical movement was behind Reagan. WTF? How the hell does that make any sense? And that was just the beginning. Now look where we are at. So called "Christain" evangelicals backing a low life scumbag like Donald Trump. Do these people have no sense of decency? Do they even bother to read the Bible?

But anyways, after the service, as was customary, I walked out with the preacher and then stood at the door greeting parishioners as they exited. The poor preacher, he was looking for a rock to hide under. And man didn't I get some icy glances. But there were some of them that gave me a big bear hug and said they were happy someone had the guts to lay reality out there.

But that was forty years ago. There hasn't been a senior Sunday since then. I killed it. I couldn't be more proud.
I have no idea what you're talking about or why you posted this.

But Orange Man BAD, and OMB voters?

Clearly all little Hitlers, right?

With Donald Trump's Iowa landslide, evangelicals reveal who they really are​

Yes, Trump won Iowa - but the undercurrent looks really bad for Republicans!

Iowa is irrelevant come November.

Only a handful of states matter, and independents in these states will decide the next president.

If Trump hasn't been assassinated by the DeepSwamp via one of its MAGA moles, he's looking more and more likely to return to the Oval Office.

With Donald Trump's Iowa landslide, evangelicals reveal who they really are​

Yes, Trump won Iowa - but the undercurrent looks really bad for Republicans!

That's a democrat who voted for nikki.

Nice try.

Trump‘s win in Iowa was record setting. Pathetic loser my ass.

I love the smell of Democrat desperation in the morning.

Trump won the support of 51% of Iowa caucusgoers, a 30-point victory over Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who came in second place with 21% of support. Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley won 19% to come in third.

Since the advent of the modern primary process in 1972, the previous record for margin of victory in a competitive GOP race in Iowa was set by Sen. Bob Dole, who beat evangelical heavyweight Pat Robertson by 13 points in the 1988 caucuses. Dole won 37.4% of the straw poll to Robertson's 24.6% and George H.W. Bush's 18.6%. Dole bowed out of the race in March of that year, and George H.W. Bush became the Republican nominee, so an easy victory in the Iowa caucuses doesn't necessarily mean clinching the GOP nomination. In fact, the past three GOP winners in Iowa ended up losing the nomination.

Other Iowa caucuses have been quite close. In 2016, Sen. Ted Cruz beat Trump by just three points. Trump went on to prevail elsewhere, clinch the GOP nomination, and win the presidency. Rick Santorum beat Mitt Romney by just 34 votes out of a total of 121,501 cast in 2012.

Trump's win in Iowa on Monday wasn't a surprise, nor was his margin of victory. Polls leading up to the Iowa caucuses showed he was the clear favorite to win the first state. His wide margin of victory was a reflection of his improved standing with Iowa's largely White, evangelical Republican electorate since 2016.

Evangelicals will hold their noses, suspend their core beliefs, and ignore his sins because he will implement their end goals for them.

The ends justify the means to them.

Except the Mormons. Gotta give them props. At least they are consistent. :)

Liberals

The actual Church Ladies among us

1705478075398.png

the religious right emerged directly as a reaction to the civil rights movement, as a way for segregationists to justify their racism on the grounds of faith rather than bigotry. The architects of modern American evangelicalism, such as Jerry Falwell, often got their start by pushing the view that the Bible demands the separation of the races. The infrastructure of the modern evangelical movement, especially its schools, grew up as a way to establish white-only spaces after the federal ban on most forms of racial discrimination.

Trump may not believe in faith or salvation, but he sure believes in racism and sexism. That Iowa evangelicals turned out to back Trump isn't a betrayal of their values. It reveals the values that always fueled their movement. It's just the last bit of plausible deniability has faded away.

I kind of take this as some kind of vindication. Over forty years ago I took the pulpit in one of the largest churches in the area. I was a senior in High School, and an award winning speaker, nationally ranked in Forensics, national winner with the American Legion. My church had a senior Sunday, where seniors took over the service. Traditionally, a seminary student would deliver the sermon, but they thought it was a good idea to give me the sermon. I mean what could go wrong?

So, I took it and ran with it. The quoted above is pretty much what I said. Jerry Falwell, the moral majority, well I demonstrated that they weren't moral, that they were not walking with Christ, that they were white supremist, no longer hiding behind a white coat and hood, but hiding behind the bible.

I mean come on, Ronald Reagan was running for president, against Jimmy Carter, and the evangelical movement was behind Reagan. WTF? How the hell does that make any sense? And that was just the beginning. Now look where we are at. So called "Christain" evangelicals backing a low life scumbag like Donald Trump. Do these people have no sense of decency? Do they even bother to read the Bible?

But anyways, after the service, as was customary, I walked out with the preacher and then stood at the door greeting parishioners as they exited. The poor preacher, he was looking for a rock to hide under. And man didn't I get some icy glances. But there were some of them that gave me a big bear hug and said they were happy someone had the guts to lay reality out there.

But that was forty years ago. There hasn't been a senior Sunday since then. I killed it. I couldn't be more proud.
This phenomenon -- the way "Chrisitians" have sold their soul, and the soul of their religion, to a con man -- has been one of the most discouraging components of the orange era.

Tim Alberta has written a book from a horrified Christian perspective of this, below.

In a nutshell, his explanation from the inside is that these people have decided that it takes a barbarian to defeat a barbarian. So they have essentially deputized Trump as the beast to "defeat" what they consider to be "evil".

Some of these have convinced themselves that he is actually a Christian, but Alberta believes they're in the minority, that they've talked themselves into believing that essentially as a way to assuage their guilt over what they have done.

Last edited:
Evangelicals will hold their noses, suspend their core beliefs, and ignore his sins because he will implement their end goals for them.

The ends justify the means to them.

Except the Mormons. Gotta give them props. At least they are consistent. :)
It's also clear that many of these people are simply leveraging religion for their personal agenda, just as Trump is.

I've had SEVERAL of the Trumpsters here -- people who toot the horn of religion for political utility -- when pressed, admit that they're not actually Christian.

Partisan politics soils and perverts everything it touches. Including Christianity.

Last edited:

Typical racist PROJECTION from the demented LEFT.
Mr. Smith loves Big Brother... :rolleyes:

It's also clear that many of these people are simply leveraging religion for their personal agenda, just as Trump is.

I've had SEVERAL of the Trumpsters here -- people who toot the horn of religion for political utility -- when pressed, admit that they're not actually Christian.

Partisan politics soils and perverts everything it touches. Including Christianity.
To type like you do, then when the globalists take complete control, population reduction is coming with it. We are a nation that has partied too much. Most of us. It's just that Progs took the lead at it. And this is where we are at. When the world people are empowered, the partying will reduce like falling off a cliff.

To type like you do, then when the globalists take complete control, population reduction is coming with it. We are a nation that has partied too much. Most of us. It's just that Progs took the lead at it. And this is where we are at. When the world people are empowered, the partying will reduce like falling off a cliff.
Do you never not change the subject?

Could you provide an example of when you didn't change the subject?

Do you never not change the subject?

Could you provide an example of when you didn't change the subject?
Has nothing to do with him changing the subject. It's rambling on about nonsense that sane people need some sort of a decoder ring to decipher.
Once in a while he makes a lucid post. But they are few and far between.

Forum List

Back