Wilt Chamberlain in HS

Wilt would still be the best player in the NBA, 50 years after he played. What other athlete could that be said about? He scoring records are untouchable, even without a 3 point line. If his blocked shots had been recorded, they would make whoever is the current leader look bad. He could singlehandedly stop a 3 on 1 fast break and force a jump shot. He is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, which he accomplished seven times

He was also a track star at the University of Kansas. Maybe the greatest athlete of all time.

He can definitely play and dominate in today's NBA if he was born in this age. He talked about liking to bet against other athletes in competitions. He beat Jim Brown twice in a foot race. The stuff he did was unbelievable.

Back in the early 80's I worked for my BIL at a sandwich shop in a Hotel on Waikiki Beach... Wilt had a Condo right across the road from the Hotel... For reasons I never quite figured out Wilt liked to lay on the beach... Why does anyone lay on the beach? Huge waste of time as far as I am concerned... Anyway back at the Sandwich Isles Deli, I was building some of the finest damn sammies around... Wilt would sometimes come in for a drink or something to eat... I have never ever to this day seen anyone with hands as big as Wilt's were... They were freakishly big... We were never Buds but he was a nice fellow... Still hard to believe about his hands...

Wilt would still be the best player in the NBA, 50 years after he played. What other athlete could that be said about? He scoring records are untouchable, even without a 3 point line. If his blocked shots had been recorded, they would make whoever is the current leader look bad. He could singlehandedly stop a 3 on 1 fast break and force a jump shot. He is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, which he accomplished seven times

He was also a track star at the University of Kansas. Maybe the greatest athlete of all time.
Wilt IS the best NBA player all-time. He changed the basic fabric of the game. He AVERAGED 50.4 points a game one season. Simply phenomenal. I would rate Jordan a distant 2nd best NBA player all-time.

He can definitely play and dominate in today's NBA if he was born in this age. He talked about liking to bet against other athletes in competitions. He beat Jim Brown twice in a foot race. The stuff he did was unbelievable.
Sadly, in today’s game, nobody needs a center

It’s all about three’s and dunks

Wilt Chamberlain was an amazing HS Track Star

Wilt Chamberlain and track and field

Wilt is not a one-sport man, either. At Overbrook High School in Philly, he high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 in 49.0 seconds and the 880 in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, broad jumped 22 feet."... these numbers oome from the following website: http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/wilt/article3.html

That was almost 70 years ago. Compare those times and distances to Track and Field today and he still dominates.

Last edited:
Imagine running against this guy

upload_2020-1-11_8-30-49.jpeg

Sadly, in today’s game, nobody needs a center

It’s all about three’s and dunks

They added the defensive 3-second rule. Take that out to make it more like FIBA. The big men should be able to come back with more post-up and inside play. With the zone, they're forced outside to guard wing and PG shooters.

Now, the question is can Wilt do that? How was he at lateral movement? I'm sure he could run out to block a shooter.

There may be a good question for BBall Breakdown. They had this vid on Wilt and other players from that era.

Lew Alcindor at Power Memorial in 1965

upload_2020-1-11_15-40-40.jpeg

Wilt on his HS Basketball Team

upload_2020-1-11_20-1-17.jpeg

Will Smith also graduated from Overbrook in Philadelphia

Wilt retired in 1973.
He reportedly was offered a contract by the Cavs in 1980, Nets in 1986 and Lakers in 1989, when he was 55 years old!

he was a one man revolution. he turned a white man's game into the black supreme

his body was a spectacle unto itself, like the first sight of the new york skyline, 260 pounds, 31 inch waist, the most perfect physique in basketball

I got to talk to the man several times in the very early 80's... He owned a Condo across the street from the Hotel I worked in on Waikiki Beach... Access to the beach was through the Hotel Lobby and Wilt liked to work on his tan from time to time... :dunno: Anyway I worked in a Sandwich shop for my Brother-in-law and Wilt stopped in a few times... Nice enough fellar, but I will never forget big his hands were... OMG :ack-1:

Amazing athlete

Thank you so much! Wilt is my favorite player of all time!

Only player in NBA history to:
  • score 100 points in a single game
  • lead the league in assists at center
  • grab 55 rebounds in one game
  • average 50 points a game for a season
  • average over 48 minutes a game for a season
  • do 20,000 women
The list goes on and on...

Forum List

Back