Victor Wembamyama is no Abdul Jabbar!

Wemby will create a new envelope as did Wilt, Magic, Larry, Kareen, Michael, Bron, and now Wemby.

I love watching this game evolve.

Wemby will create a new envelope as did Wilt, Magic, Larry, Kareen, Michael, Bron, and now Wemby.

I love watching this game evolve.
His early play has been mediocre. It's still early, and no doubt he will have the occasional "monster" game, but he is not coming in with the same impact as LeBron did 20 years ago(?). It will be interesting to see how he develops, as well as how durable he proves to be. It would be surprising for him to have the same impact as the great centers of the past. That position no longer exists in the NBA.

The guy (kid) has played like 10 games and people want to compare his career to all time greats?

Hot take culture has killed sports discussion. How about we have this talk in 5 years

Mr. Friscus has a good point. But check what Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Abdul Jabbar did in their first twenty games: completely revolutionized the lost post game.

His early play has been mediocre. It's still early, and no doubt he will have the occasional "monster" game, but he is not coming in with the same impact as LeBron did 20 years ago(?). It will be interesting to see how he develops, as well as how durable he proves to be. It would be surprising for him to have the same impact as the great centers of the past. That position no longer exists in the NBA.
He shows talent. His physical form needs to fill in a little more though. There's wear and tear and aches and pains from the physical part of the sport.

Mr. Friscus has a good point. But check what Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Abdul Jabbar did in their first twenty games: completely revolutionized the lost post game.
I’m fine with noting big early impact and talking about potential.. but chill on the declarative statements lol

And most importantly is they are winning. How much is because of him? Let's just say people don't drive to the basket when he's on the court. He completely changes the game plan. Easy close shots suddenly aren't an option. And how do you stop him from scoring? Plus he blocked 2 shots?

I have to go call my dad. Like Billo he was saying he didn't think this kid had it after his first nationally televised game. Give him time. No he's not Lebron who was immediately the best athlete physically on the court. Give the kid 2 games or 3. LOL.
The Spurs aren’t making the POs in the west. Not a chance.

Wemby can never be compared to the great centers of the past. The position they played no longer exists in the NBA. They all played a low post-center, from which to score or feed others, and where they were in the best possible position to get rebounds.

I personally don't know why that position has been eliminated, the power forward is its closest counterpart but that is quite a bit different. There is NO current position in the NBA from which one can average 50 points per game, as Wilt did when he chose to do so.

Why (the fuck) they allow him to shoot three's is a mystery to me. They have guys who are 6'2" who can do it better. Also a mystery to me is why they keep showing him dunking the ball as though that were an accomplishment. He doesn't even have to jump. No skill whatsoever is required for a person of his "length" to dunk the ball.

Spacing. A center who can handle the ball and shoot a jumper can pull opposing centers out of the paint creating opportunities for other players. No one would guard Chamberlain or Kareem more than 10 feet from the hoop. Allowed the rim protector to stay near the rim. This is even more important now that you can play zone in the NBA.

The Spurs aren’t making the POs in the west. Not a chance.
Now I’m seeing it. When they beat the suns twice I was like maybe but now I don’t think so.

Will the lakers make the playoffs for sure? Squeak in? Are they good this year?

Zion gonna play a full year?

What about when ja mordant comes back?

Cant wait!

Wemby can never be compared to the great centers of the past. The position they played no longer exists in the NBA. They all played a low post-center, from which to score or feed others, and where they were in the best possible position to get rebounds.

I personally don't know why that position has been eliminated, the power forward is its closest counterpart but that is quite a bit different. There is NO current position in the NBA from which one can average 50 points per game, as Wilt did when he chose to do so.

Why (the fuck) they allow him to shoot three's is a mystery to me. They have guys who are 6'2" who can do it better. Also a mystery to me is why they keep showing him dunking the ball as though that were an accomplishment. He doesn't even have to jump. No skill whatsoever is required for a person of his "length" to dunk the ball.
I heard teams are drafting more tall players now. To deal with jokic, wemby, guy on the 76rs. Forgot his name.

I've seen enough! Victor Wembamyama is no Kareem Abdul Jabbar. As soon as Lew Alcindor hit the NBA, he dominated from day one. Victor is going through a learning curve that Jabbar never went through, except when he faced Wilt Chamberlain.
Oh FFS, he has played 10 games as a rookie. No kid can dominate early that is rail thin, and might not ever if he doesn't put on some weight. Zion Williamson, using one example, would push him all over the place, but he could still get his shot blocked and Wemby can nail the three, Williamson not so much. He has all the tools on offense and defense.

Oh FFS, he has played 10 games as a rookie. No kid can dominate early that is rail thin, and might not ever if he doesn't put on some weight. Zion Williamson, using one example, would push him all over the place, but he could still get his shot blocked and Wemby can nail the three, Williamson not so much. He has all the tools on offense and defense.
I will agree Victor has skills. He just needs some beef!

Spacing. A center who can handle the ball and shoot a jumper can pull opposing centers out of the paint creating opportunities for other players. No one would guard Chamberlain or Kareem more than 10 feet from the hoop. Allowed the rim protector to stay near the rim. This is even more important now that you can play zone in the NBA.
They didn't have a stretch 5 back in Wilts day. Unless, of coarse, you don't consider Jerry Lucas.

I didn't even see him playing last night. Of course I didn't watch the entire game but this morning they said on Sportscenter that he had a quiet night last night.
If the NBA Allstar game became the US versus the world, can you name the starting 5 for the International team?

Here's mine...
  1. Joker
  2. Luca
  3. Gianninis
  4. Jamaal Murray
  5. Embid

If the NBA Allstar game became the US versus the world, can you name the starting 5 for the International team?

Here's mine...
  1. Joker
  2. Luca
  3. Gianninis
  4. Jamaal Murray
  5. Embid
We should have got to take turns. Now that you took all 5 I'll go with

Porzingis
Bogdanovic
Vucevic
Valančiūnas
Şengün