CDZ Will our Republic be gone within a year if Trump remains President

Will the Republic last longer than a year if Trump remains as president

• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters
Yet we have had posters in other threads say already this morning that Trump is more inept than Obama.

If it were only a matter of ineptness, kwc, I might agree with you.

Krugman's ineptness is well documented. I quit reading him long ago because he's seldom correct and he has become a partisan hack discussing politics over economics. If you want to put stock in his words, be my guest. I just wouldn't do any investing based on his ideas.

Fact Checking Paul Krugman's Claim To Be "Right About Everything"

I am interested in posters' votes and reactions. Remember that we are in the CDZ, so we have to be relatively polite in this discussion.

Paul Krugman Warns Either Trump or the Republic Will Be Gone Within a Year
By Hrafnkell Haraldsson on Tue, Jan 31st, 2017 at 10:43 am

"Either he or the republic, in any meaningful sense, will be gone quite soon. I have a hard time seeing one year, let alone four"

krugman-economy-701x402.jpg

Isn't he also one of the guys that predicted a Stock Market Freefall upon the election of Trump?

Just because government isn't doing what you want it to do anymore doesn't mean the downfall of the government.
I lived with Bush then Obama, marty. Neither, in my opinion, are the threat that Krugman perceives with Trump.

I don't know if it so much Trump as it is people like Conway and Bannon in such important positions in the admin,.

Yes, non-statists are finally running the show. I guess power back to the people is a troubling thing to you.
Trump is not for the people, at all, you know that. He is for himself and the big corporations. Bannon wants to destroy the foundation of the Constitution and Conway is revealing herself as a fascist more each day.

LOL

Isn't he also one of the guys that predicted a Stock Market Freefall upon the election of Trump?

Just because government isn't doing what you want it to do anymore doesn't mean the downfall of the government.
I lived with Bush then Obama, marty. Neither, in my opinion, are the threat that Krugman perceives with Trump.

I don't know if it so much Trump as it is people like Conway and Bannon in such important positions in the admin,.

Yes, non-statists are finally running the show. I guess power back to the people is a troubling thing to you.
Trump is not for the people, at all, you know that. He is for himself and the big corporations. Bannon wants to destroy the foundation of the Constitution and Conway is revealing herself as a fascist more each day.

all opinions with no basis in any actual fact. Screaming "fascist!!!" doesn't make it so.
When Conway goes on Chuch Todd and says the actual facts are not true and she stands by "Alternate Facts," yes, that is fascist, and certainly anti-democratic in principle. A characteristic of the fascists is always to controvert truth.

Feel free to use this liberally.

Dictionary and Thesaurus | Merriam-Webster

if it is it will libs going off the deep end will be the cause
Respond to the OP, please. The issue is Trump at the moment.

Actually this is the issue.....The title of the thread is "will our republic be gone within a year if trump remains president". The thing is, it's very possible that our republic will be gone within that year (more or less).....but not as much a direct result of him holding office or what he does for policy......but more because of the hardline opposition
If the oppositions push back legally and constitutionally though, that is the spirit of our Republic.

The only problem with your scenario is that the push back is in the form of riots, property destruction and people like the BLM saying people need to die. That isn't in the spirit of our Republic. Remember the good old days when things were going your way and you guys claimed to be the enlightened, intellectual and tolerant in the room? lose a little power and the tantrums start.

Actually this is the issue.....The title of the thread is "will our republic be gone within a year if trump remains president". The thing is, it's very possible that our republic will be gone within that year (more or less).....but not as much a direct result of him holding office or what he does for policy......but more because of the hardline opposition
If the oppositions push back legally and constitutionally though, that is the spirit of our Republic.

The only problem with your scenario is that the push back is in the form of riots, property destruction and people like the BLM saying people need to die. That isn't in the spirit of our Republic. Remember the good old days when things were going your way and you guys claimed to be the enlightened, intellectual and tolerant in the room? lose a little power and the tantrums start.
I agree that BLM is not the way to go. When Trump begins failing, as he will, we will see the violence generate on the far right, which is neither enlightened, intellectual, nor tolerant in the slightest.

I agree that political violence period needs to be throttled at the beginning, and those who threaten it need to be feebed on. :lol:

I agree that BLM is not the way to go. When Trump begins failing, as he will, we will see the violence generate on the far right, which is neither enlightened, intellectual, nor tolerant in the slightest.

I agree that political violence period needs to be throttled at the beginning, and those who threaten it need to be feebed on. :lol:

The problem is, you don't have a clue when you spout alt-right or far right. You like your candidate Hillary keep using terms like that and deplorable to describe working class/middle class people who simply want the government out of their personal lives and want to make an honest days wage for an honest days work. Your party pissed on those people in favor of identity politics. They got the cart before the horse by thinking the demographics of the nation had changed in their favor enough to pit classes against each other. The folks who had elected Obama twice got their thanks by becoming the whipping boy of the left and all the ills of the nation dumped at their feet. They got out of their easy chairs, mobilized and showed their disdain for the elites trying to control their lives and showed their voting clout. They did it with Congress, governorships and state legislatures as well. This isn't some fascist movement. It's the average Joe's of the nation making a course correction from an overreaching group of elitists. Honestly Jake, it's time for you to reevaluate your partisan thought processes. Your instincts are wrong.

kwc57, you are merely discussing yourself.

McMullin was my candidate. No matter how many lies you tell, Clinton was never my candidate; you can find nowhere that I supported her.

Terms like "deplorable" and "alt right" were common and well used descriptions of the far right and the supporters of Trump: live with those facts.

My party is the GOP, which is heavily invested in identity politics, just like the dems.

The dems lost solely because they ran Clinton. Anyone else would have thumped Trump.

Honestly, kwc, you need to re-evaluate your relationship with a party that employs Bannon and Conway and other AlternateFacters.

You are buying into a very scary regime.

That is what you and those like you continually demand will happen. All the while, the opposite keeps occurring. The tea party has been almost completely peaceful for a decade and we see riots all over the place from anti-Trump protesters. In many cases premeditated destruction.

Clearly your 'prediction' is based in ignoring what is actually happening

That is what you and those like you continually demand will happen. All the while, the opposite keeps occurring. The tea party has been almost completely peaceful for a decade and we see riots all over the place from anti-Trump protesters. In many cases premeditated destruction. Clearly your 'prediction' is based in ignoring what is actually happening
What is the opposite? And what "riots all over the place." There were no "riots" over the supposed ban. The far right was told hands off during the campaign, hurt some protests, and then you all have been upset that you realize the hard left can beat you into the ground at any time. Don't cry that you can't take what feeble attempts you dish.

But if you are right, and you know such people, FA_QS, then feeb on them.

McConnell and Ryan are in charge in Congress, and so far Trump has come hat in hand. Let's see if he can keep that up.

I am interested in posters' votes and reactions. Remember that we are in the CDZ, so we have to be relatively polite in this discussion.

"Either he or the republic, in any meaningful sense, will be gone quite soon. I have a hard time seeing one year, let alone four"

That guy........really....? You listen to that guy.......you are so lucky you put this in the CDZ....krugman.....yeah, again, you are lucky you put this in the CDZ...

That guy........really....? You listen to that guy.......you are so lucky you put this in the CDZ....krugman.....yeah, again, you are lucky you put this in the CDZ...
yeah, that guy, who is a somebody, and you don't like him. OK.

That is what you and those like you continually demand will happen. All the while, the opposite keeps occurring. The tea party has been almost completely peaceful for a decade and we see riots all over the place from anti-Trump protesters. In many cases premeditated destruction. Clearly your 'prediction' is based in ignoring what is actually happening
What is the opposite? And what "riots all over the place." There were no "riots" over the supposed ban. The far right was told hands off during the campaign, hurt some protests, and then you all have been upset that you realize the hard left can beat you into the ground at any time. Don't cry that you can't take what feeble attempts you dish.

McConnell and Ryan are in charge in Congress, and so far Trump has come hat in hand. Let's see if he can keep that up.

Hat in hand.....you haven't been watching the right news.........

Hat in hand.....you haven't been watching the right news.........
Huge infrastructure bill. Huge military bill. A government health care system, promises Ryan. Oh, yeah, Donald is running over Congress and making it do what he wants. Ryan says no Muslim ban.

Moving the goalposts now are we?

The topic you started was on the republic ending when Trump (because there really is no if) retains the presidency for a year. Then you made a claim that the right was going to become violent.

Clearly you want to ignore what is actually happening in order to push a fantasy that has not materialized even though you have been pushing it for a long time.

And how many times did Obama ignore or go around Congress? It was easier for him to rule the country from behind his desk passing edicts when no one was looking. Please, why the worry now about the Republic???
My prediction is that because so far every single prediction about Trump has fallen on it's own ass, then this little concern right here will end with this. The Republic will become stronger under Trump by the end of 4 years. The only thing that could possibly weaken it would be insurrection by unhinged leftist radicals from within.

So Yarddog wants Trump to act like Obama.

I hope you are correct, but civil liberties are at risk from the Trumpster.

The "unhinged leftist radicals" can't find their asses with both hands. Let's hope the Alt Right radicals are as incompetent.

So Yarddog wants Trump to act like Obama.

I hope you are correct, but civil liberties are at risk from the Trumpster.

The "unhinged leftist radicals" can't find their asses with both hands. Let's hope the Alt Right radicals are as incompetent.

Its always preferable to have things done by congress for sure. When presidents act by executive order its very likely the next president will over turn those with executive orders of his/her own. I believe Obama was certain Hillary would be the next president so this was not too much of a concern. Going forward I do hope there will be more rulings by act of congress. I would say this recent Temporary halt to immigration from certain countries for example, would not fall under that category seeing that it is just that. A temporary action before further policy can be enacted.

That makes much sense.

I do think Ryan and McConnell are trying to figure out how to work with Trump, but I have no doubt they will push harder back against him than he can push them.

Krugman sold out to the Democratic Party long ago. He has no objectivity. He is a total political hack living off of his reputation as a formerly reputable economist. The Republic is fine and it will be made finer by Trump. All the hysteria is coming from the Left.

Forum List

Back