• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
I am interested in posters' votes and reactions. Remember that we are in the CDZ, so we have to be relatively polite in this discussion.

Paul Krugman Warns Either Trump or the Republic Will Be Gone Within a Year
By Hrafnkell Haraldsson on Tue, Jan 31st, 2017 at 10:43 am

"Either he or the republic, in any meaningful sense, will be gone quite soon. I have a hard time seeing one year, let alone four"

krugman-economy-701x402.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think even Trump can destroy it. Even a friendly congress can turn unfriendly at presidential overreach and illegal activities.

What I see as more likely, is we become the target of more terrorist attacks.

• Banned
Trump and many, certainly not all, of his supporters are indeed threats to American democracy.

Coyote, you are right that Congress may be his biggest obstacle to rupturing our ur documents of governance.

I am interested in posters' votes and reactions. Remember that we are in the CDZ, so we have to be relatively polite in this discussion.

"Either he or the republic, in any meaningful sense, will be gone quite soon. I have a hard time seeing one year, let alone four"

Isn't he also one of the guys that predicted a Stock Market Freefall upon the election of Trump?

Just because government isn't doing what you want it to do anymore doesn't mean the downfall of the government.

Of course not. That guy is as biased as they come. He has displayed that pretty consistently.

Trump and many, certainly not all, of his supporters are indeed threats to American democracy.

Coyote, you are right that Congress may be his biggest obstacle to rupturing our ur documents of governance.

How has he so far threatened "American Democracy?"

Progressives have been spending decades trying to eliminate the federal nature of the republic by placing more and more power at the federal level. What specifically is Trump doing to ruin us?

• Banned

Isn't he also one of the guys that predicted a Stock Market Freefall upon the election of Trump?

Just because government isn't doing what you want it to do anymore doesn't mean the downfall of the government.
I lived with Bush then Obama, marty. Neither, in my opinion, are the threat that Krugman perceives with Trump.

I don't know if it so much Trump as it is people like Conway and Bannon in such important positions in the admin,.

I lived with Bush then Obama, marty. Neither, in my opinion, are the threat that Krugman perceives with Trump.

I don't know if it so much Trump as it is people like Conway and Bannon in such important positions in the admin,.

Yes, non-statists are finally running the show. I guess power back to the people is a troubling thing to you.

I don't think even Trump can destroy it. Even a friendly congress can turn unfriendly at presidential overreach and illegal activities.

What I see as more likely, is we become the target of more terrorist attacks.

I don't get this one.. So Trump is going after bad guys across the globe.. And Obama didn't?

Progressives have been spending decades trying to eliminate the federal nature of the republic by placing more and more power at the federal level. What specifically is Trump doing to ruin us?
You need to read Krugman and respond to his arguments. Yiosthey has already shown one of the problems: he wants free speech eliminated.

Another "Trump isn't doing what I want so I'm going to throw a temper tantrum" thread?

When liberal Krugman says Trump is threat, he isn't talking about America....he's talking about a threat to liberalism.

/thread

Another "Trump isn't doing what I want so I'm going to throw a temper tantrum" thread?

When liberal Krugman says Trump is threat, he isn't talking about America....he's talking about a threat to liberalism.

/thread
That's an unsupported opinion, OK.

You need to read Krugman and respond to his arguments. Yiosthey has already shown one of the problems: he wants free speech eliminated.

Putting someone on ignore is not "wanting free speech eliminated". To me its childish, but I don't begrudge a person wanting to screen their own content.

Again, Krugman is the guy who said the markets would tank on a Trump win. Why would I waste my time on him if he was that wrong just recently?

Finally, the real speech suppression is coming from the left, not the right, or do you ignore all the Milo shows that had to be cancelled due to the heckler's veto?

/thread
That's an unsupported opinion, OK.

It's his opinion, and I agree with him. Krugman is more concerned with his political power and clout than anything else. Progressives kept quoting him even after he was wrong again and again and again, and now he feels he will be ignored.

Putting someone on ignore is not "wanting free speech eliminated". To me its childish, but I don't begrudge a person wanting to screen their own content.

Again, Krugman is the guy who said the markets would tank on a Trump win. Why would I waste my time on him if he was that wrong just recently?

Finally, the real speech suppression is coming from the left, not the right, or do you ignore all the Milo shows that had to be cancelled due to the heckler's veto?
Thank you for addressing the subject. I disagree with you about yiosthey: he truly thinks free speech is a bad thing and is anti-democracy. The markets have not tanked, yet, in the first ten days, so we can't make much of a decision on that. Youtube is a business and can regulate its own content. You believe in little regulation of business, so think about what you wrote.

Forum List

Back