Zone1 Why was Jesus crucified?

I decided it was wrong because I've read the New Testament.
So then, in your mind, there is only one answer to the question that drives this thread and anything else must be wrong. Seems silly for a poster to ask a question and not really want to hear answers that don't confirm a pre-existing position.

So then, in your mind, there is only one answer to the question that drives this thread and anything else must be wrong. Seems silly for a poster to ask a question and not really want to hear answers that don't confirm a pre-existing position.
So then, in your mind, there is only one answer to the question that drives this thread and anything else must be wrong.

That answer, of course, is that Jesus threatened Roman authority. Easy enough. Now just show us in the New Testament - i.e. the actual story - the relevant passages.

Easy enough, right. Can you do it?

I decided it was wrong because I've read the New Testament.
Fricke's book book should not be dismissed out of hand. Is it one of the books I've read on the topic? Don't know, can't remember all the authors. However, these books do give us insight into the Jewish perspective.

One Jewish complaint is that he Sanhedrin wouldn't have met at such a time or had such a trial. One answer to that is that the Gospels do not say "The Great Sanhedrin" convened which would have indicated every member. More than likely Caiaphas, Annas and their particular cronies met at Caiaphas' residence in what we might call a Committee meeting.

These people saw the popularity of Jesus as a problem, because if the Temple authorities could not keep the people under control, Rome would remove them and put down any movement towards an Independent government/nation. However, Jesus had enough popularity, if Temple authorities moved against Jesus, the population could erupt against them. So, yes, while the Sanhedrin could move against blasphemy, it would not be accepted by the people. So, they went to Pilate, saying Jesus was guilty of sedition (being hailed as king, the ruckus at the Temple, his large following).

One thing that seemed clear to a number of writers is that the High Priests were playing Pilate to force him into getting rid of Jesus for them. And Pilate seemed well aware of this. When he was going to release Jesus, the High Priest next move was to say, "Then you are no friend of Caesar." This was a veiled threat to "tell on" Pilate (and this had been done before) to Rome. Pilate couldn't afford this happening again, and some suggest he made a move of his own. He said he would give them a choice release a well-known thief and seditionist (Barabbas) or the itinerant rabbi (who Pilate probably thought was a lunatic). When the Temple authorities called for the release of Barabbas, Pilate had them. They say anything to Rome about him, he could tell Rome they insisted on the release of a man guilty of sedition.

Another thing to keep in mind, the absolute maximum space in Pilate's court would have been less than three thousand. Workers under Caiaphas at the Temple...about five or six times that number.

Pilate was a vicious man. He wrote "King of the Jews" for Jesus' cross, which was another well-thought poke directed at Temple authorities, which they did not appreciate at all. They said Pilate should re-write that designation, and Pilate refused.

The political intrigue behind Jesus' crucifixion is worthy of note. Temple authorities (along with wanting to preserve their own status) did not want the Jewish people to bring Rome's wrath down upon them over a messiah. I doubt that the Temple authorities saw this as personal--they most likely would have taken the same action against any messiah.

In any case, Jews never should have been accused of deicide or the death of Jesus. It was a political ploy involving so few...

So then, in your mind, there is only one answer to the question that drives this thread and anything else must be wrong.
No, in my mind there might be a variety of answers and the book I pointed to discusses one of them.
That answer, of course, is that Jesus threatened Roman authority. Easy enough. Now just show us in the New Testament - i.e. the actual story - the relevant passages.
According to that book, yes. There are other people who discuss the same theory and have some verses quoted, like

plus others. You might want to argue with them.
Easy enough, right. Can you do it?
I hope you read the websites I posted -- they are free. Look, I just saved you $2.

No, in my mind there might be a variety of answers and the book I pointed to discusses one of them.

According to that book, yes. There are other people who discuss the same theory and have some verses quoted, like

plus others. You might want to argue with them.

I hope you read the websites I posted -- they are free. Look, I just saved you $2.
None of the answers can deviate from the story. Damn, dude, it's not rocket science.

The story says he was a threat to the Pharisees, not the Romans.

Apparently, it's not easy for you, after all.

None of the answers can deviate from the story. Damn, dude, it's not rocket science.

The story says he was a threat to the Pharisees, not the Romans.

Apparently, it's not easy for you, after all.
So I gave you resources that cited verses, as you requested, and yet you still insist that only your version of things is the right answer. Have fun in the echo chamber.

So I gave you resources that cited verses, as you requested, and yet you still insist that only your version of things is the right answer. Have fun in the echo chamber.
I didn't request verses from resources. I requested them from the source. I didn't request links. I requested passages.

Can you deliver or can't you?

I didn't request verses from resources. I requested them from the source. I didn't request links. I requested passages.

Can you deliver or can't you?
You asked for verses that supported a thesis. The websites included verses. If you are afraid to read them, then that's fine with me.

You asked for verses that supported a thesis. The websites included verses. If you are afraid to read them, then that's fine with me.
Jesus wasn't a threat to Rome. He was always safe in the north and around Galilee. Herod Antipas ignored him.

Jesus died for our sins.

not true, their death is used by the crucifiers, christianity to promote servitude the opposite reason the jews and romans (christians) murdered him ...

they and the others that gave their lives during that time to the 4th century did so for liberation theology, self determination - the golden rule - religion of antiquity.

Jesus wasn't a threat to Rome. He was always safe in the north and around Galilee. Herod Antipas ignored him.
That would be a response you would need to make to the authors (of the book and the various web pages that present text and discussion about the hypothesis). I personally have no particular opinion or dog in the fight but clearly, a variety of people suggest a position different from the one you state and provide material to support the argument.

I'm not reading through your links. I think they're wrong, therefore a waste of time.

Just post a couple of the verses, and we'll see what they actually say.

Here's a clue. The Jews wanted him dead. I hope that doesn't discourage you too much, though from your reluctance to argue with your own words, I suppose you are already discouraged.

I'm not reading through your links. I think they're wrong, therefore a waste of time.
Ah, the echo chamber again. Since you think they are wrong, you refuse to read them.
Just post a couple of the verses, and we'll see what they actually say.
Do you want me to come to your house and read them to you while I tuck you in for bedtime also? You can choose to read what I linked to or not.
Here's a clue. The Jews wanted him dead. I hope that doesn't discourage you too much, though from your reluctance to argue with your own words, I suppose you are already discouraged.
I'm not discouraged, only amused at how much you dance to avoid reading material that challenges the position you need to be right.

Ah, the echo chamber again. Since you think they are wrong, you refuse to read them.

Do you want me to come to your house and read them to you while I tuck you in for bedtime also? You can choose to read what I linked to or not.

I'm not discouraged, only amused at how much you dance to avoid reading material that challenges the position you need to be right.
If a cookbook claimed that hotdogs come from popcorn, you would read it with relish.

Muslims reject the idea that the purest of the prophets would not die such a cruel and humiliating death.

- then they have no idea what the heavens expect of them ...

jesus from the beginning knew their fate - they opposed heredity idolatry - the phony moses 10 commandments of servitude what else might they have expected during those times ... judaism / roman complicity.

Find out what? Why Jesus was crucified?

Some eight-bit paperback isn't going to tell me anything new. Especially not one whose author thinks Jesus was a threat to Roman authority.
I am fascinated. You believe Jesus supported Roman control of Judea?

Forum List

Back