Why Trump is an “Absolute No” on Puerto Rican statehood

Why does Trump not want Puerto Rico as a state? They will vote Democrat and give the Democrats another seat in the Senate and take away the Vice President's tie breaking vote.

Pretty simple really.
Yet you cannot prove that, as usual.

How did we ever elect a moron like this?

If you oppose Puerto Rican statehood.....give a legitimate reason
But because a mayor refused to worship you?

Well for a man you call a moron he's doing a very good job for this country.

Maybe you should move to PR so they can benefit from your vast knowledge. LOL

He is the freak’n President
If you oppose statehood, give a legitimate reason for doing so

Don’t bring up your petty dispute with a mayor

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web

The statehood movement in Puerto Rico aims to make Puerto Rico a state of the United States. ... If a "yes" majority prevailed, the President would have been required to submit legislation to Congress enacting Puerto Rican statehood. Both resolutions died in committee. A fifth referendum was held on June 11, 2017.

Seems the resolution died in Congress.

Sure you can, especially since you provide no source for your BS. You make crap up all the time. But why would we want to admit another state that can bring NOTHING of value to us?
Now, if Trump had said that, it would be a valid reason

But to oppose statehood because a mayor did not praise your hurricane support is shallow
I'd bet money it's just another media half truth, but how can we know? And according to your own link he didn't say what you say he did. You are a proven liar over and over.

WTF is the matter with you people?
Media half truth?

He said it on Geraldo Rivera, it is on tape
Not in the writing in your link, liar. Here is what was said troll.

“With the mayor of San Juan as bad as she is and as incompetent as she is, Puerto Rico shouldn’t be talking about statehood until they get some people that really know what they’re doing,” Trump told host Geraldo Rivera in an interview conducted Sunday with WTAM Radio in Cleveland, later calling Cruz “a horror show.”

What does the mayor of a city have to do with the economic stability of the entire island?

The reason he brought her up is because he has a personal feud and she didn’t say nice things about his performance

WTF is wrong with this moron?

Considering that they have burned down their own economy to the point they can not pay their debt not that surprising. Some of their debt is due to corruption. People were leaving the island at about 1% per year. Many more left after the hurricane. Feel sorry for them but don't want to be responsible for more debt then we already have. You can't say that we want to be independent until we have screwed up too bad, now we want to be a state so the U.S. can pay our debt.

Why does Trump not want Puerto Rico as a state? They will vote Democrat and give the Democrats another seat in the Senate and take away the Vice President's tie breaking vote.

Pretty simple really.

It is the bottom line why Republicans oppose statehood for DC and Puerto Rico

They know they will elect Democratic Senators

Well the fact that PR is 70 billion dollars in debt may have something to do with it.

Funny, Donald didn't mention anything about that. Besides, I don't see why that should be a disqualifier. Pretty much every state has debt. Yes, Puerto Rico has a lot of debt, but state debts really have no bearing at the federal level. Three states already have more debt that Puerto Rico (California has more than twice the total debt), while a handful more have comparable total debt. Puerto Rico's debt per capita is about $12,000 and yes, that is a lot and is more than any other state. But it's only slightly more than Massachusetts. Not to mention a big part of Puerto Rico's economic woes stem from the federal government holding Puerto Rico in a grey area where they haven't always had the leeway to make their own decisions while Congress has largely made decisions based on what was more beneficial for the federal government instead of Puerto Rico.

Well the fact that PR is 70 billion dollars in debt may have something to do with it.

Funny, Donald didn't mention anything about that. Besides, I don't see why that should be a disqualifier. Pretty much ever state has debt. Yes, Puerto Rico has a lot of debt, but state debts really have no bearing at the federal level. Three states already have more debt that Puerto Rico (California has more than twice the total debt), while a handful more have comparable total debt. Puerto Rico's debt per capita is about $12,000 and yes, that is a lot and is more than any other state. But it's only slightly more than Massachusetts. Not to mention a big part of Puerto Rico's economic woes stem from the federal government holding Puerto Rico in a grey area where they haven't always had the leeway to make their own decisions while Congress has largely made decisions based on what was more beneficial for the federal government instead of Puerto Rico.

Thank you. So they as a state would have to deal with their own debt?? Makes sense.

They sure don't seem to have a very good Govt. and sure don't know what to do about their debt.

I don't think we need their debt added to ours thank you very much.
Puerto Rico was good enough when we wanted a strategic military base there. Puerto Ricans were good enough to be cannon fodder for us in every war we've cooked up for over a hundred years.
Now they're shit because we don't need them anymore?

There are dozens of legitimate reasons why or why not, Puerto Rico should get statehood

The fact that the mayor of San Juan did not like the federal response to Hurricane Maria is not one of them

The last thing we need to do is make Puerto Rico a state.

Puerto Rican government-debt crisis. The Puerto Rican government-debt crisis is a financial crisis affecting the government of Puerto Rico.[a] After decades of mismanagement and centuries of colonial rule, the government's outstanding debt exceeds $70 billion (in addition to $50 billion in pension obligations).

Massive corruption, mismanagement, ancient, outdated infrastructure, and their economy is in mass confusion.

Puerto Rican government-debt crisis. The Puerto Rican government-debt crisis is a financial crisis affecting the government of Puerto Rico.[a] After decades of mismanagement and centuries of colonial rule, the government's outstanding debt exceeds $70 billion (in addition to $50 billion in pension obligations).

Massive corruption, mismanagement, ancient, outdated infrastructure, and their economy is in mass confusion.
Didn't I hear about one of the midwest states being on the brink of bankruptcy last year? Did we cut them loose? How did it affect the federal budget?

You provide a better response than Trump

Funny, Donald didn't mention anything about that. Besides, I don't see why that should be a disqualifier. Pretty much ever state has debt. Yes, Puerto Rico has a lot of debt, but state debts really have no bearing at the federal level. Three states already have more debt that Puerto Rico (California has more than twice the total debt), while a handful more have comparable total debt. Puerto Rico's debt per capita is about $12,000 and yes, that is a lot and is more than any other state. But it's only slightly more than Massachusetts. Not to mention a big part of Puerto Rico's economic woes stem from the federal government holding Puerto Rico in a grey area where they haven't always had the leeway to make their own decisions while Congress has largely made decisions based on what was more beneficial for the federal government instead of Puerto Rico.

Thank you. So they as a state would have to deal with their own debt?? Makes sense.

As I understand it, the federal government is closer to being on the hook for Puerto Rico's debt under their current status, than if they were to become a state.

Personally, I think that the best solution would be to get the federal government out of the way and give Puerto Rico better autonomy. Then, revisit the question of statehood interest in a few years and set out a timetable for put them on the road to economic solvency while addressing other economic disparities that need attention, such as special tax status due to the wide gap between their economy and the core US economy.

As I understand it, the federal government is closer to being on the hook for Puerto Rico's debt under their current status, than if they were to become a state.

Personally, I think that the best solution would be to get the federal government out of the way and give Puerto Rico better autonomy. Then, revisit the question of statehood interest in a few years and set out a timetable for put them on the road to economic solvency while addressing other economic disparities that need attention, such as special tax status due to the wide gap between their economy and the core US economy.

I agree but to do that they have to elect better leaders. Seems PR has loads of incompetent and thieving leaders.

I agree but to do that they have to elect better leaders. Seems PR has loads of incompetent and thieving leaders.

Much like the majority of states. :04:

Pretty simple really.

It is the bottom line why Republicans oppose statehood for DC and Puerto Rico

They know they will elect Democratic Senators

I'm not sure who you are talking to, but this is absolutely the reason for it. You would think that Conservatives would want Puerto Rico to become a state so that the people that live and work there would be paying federal taxes. Currently the U.S. citizens there receive federal aid without paying back into it.

Forum List

Back