Why Trump is an “Absolute No” on Puerto Rican statehood

Cant make this stuff up

Trump an ‘absolute no’ on Puerto Rico statehood because of San Juan’s ‘horror show’ of a mayor

So, the mayor of San Juan is not nice to him. So he opposes statehood for 3 million people

How did we elect this guy?
--------------------------------------- GOOD , what American wants more 'islanders' and their falling down island as a USA State RWinger .
------------------------------------------ But probably nothing to worry about as long as The TRUMP remains PRESIDENT RWinger .

would 'puerto ricans' pay their taxes using their 'ebt' cards or food stamps Lew ??

would 'puerto ricans' pay their taxes using their 'ebt' cards or food stamps Lew ??

Well apparently their island has a lot of infrastructure work that needs done... so there are plenty of jobs out there they could be working to which they would be paying into federal funds, not receiving them. Do you really think that Puerto Rico with a strong infrastructure would continue to be a drain on the U.S. and not an asset? If Puerto Rico wasn't an asset now, why would the U.S. continue to keep military there and give them federal aid?

From a report in 2012, Puerto Rican residents were already paying more federal income tax dollars on money they made outside Puerto Rico than some current U.S. states like Vermont.

Well the fact that PR is 70 billion dollars in debt may have something to do with it.

They sure don't seem to have a very good Govt. and sure don't know what to do about their debt.

I don't think we need their debt added to ours thank you very much.

That's less than 1/3 the per capita debt of the US. Maybe we should hire its management team.

i just don't want them or their prime example of 'jerry rivers' / geraldo and with the TRUMP as President chances are that ' I ' won't get them Lew . As far as rebuilding infrastructure . I don't think that the 'islanders' are capable . Heck , they had infrastructure before the hurricane but they didn't maintain it Lew .

i just don't want them or their prime example of 'jerry rivers' / geraldo and with the TRUMP as President chances are that ' I ' won't get them Lew . As far as rebuilding infrastructure . I don't think that the 'islanders' are capable . Heck , they had infrastructure before the hurricane but they didn't maintain it Lew .

What a ridiculous statement. They don't get the same federal dollars for infrastructure as other states. It would be nice if you did a little research before you made comments.

Why would you want to continue to give Puerto Rico social program dollars when they are not paying back into it like everyone else? You are trying to defend what Trump is saying without knowing any real facts, and without any actual knowledge.

giphy.gif

Why does Trump not want Puerto Rico as a state? They will vote Democrat and give the Democrats another seat in the Senate and take away the Vice President's tie breaking vote.

Pretty simple really.
Yet you cannot prove that, as usual.

It is the bottom line why Republicans oppose statehood for DC and Puerto Rico

They know they will elect Democratic Senators

I'm not sure who you are talking to, but this is absolutely the reason for it. You would think that Conservatives would want Puerto Rico to become a state so that the people that live and work there would be paying federal taxes. Currently the U.S. citizens there receive federal aid without paying back into it.
If DC and Puerto Rico become States

Republicans will never take back the Senate

Why does Trump not want Puerto Rico as a state? They will vote Democrat and give the Democrats another seat in the Senate and take away the Vice President's tie breaking vote.

Pretty simple really.

I'm not sure who you are talking to, but this is absolutely the reason for it. You would think that Conservatives would want Puerto Rico to become a state so that the people that live and work there would be paying federal taxes. Currently the U.S. citizens there receive federal aid without paying back into it.

It will never happen. Texas will break into 5 states and destroy you, as it should be.

hey look , 'islanders' didn't maintain their infrastructure . Doesn't really matter does it ?? As long as Trump is President he doesn't want the 'islanders' and he may or probably will get his way Lew .

Mayors come and go. Trump's "reason" is at about the level of a fifth- or sixth-grader.

Mattis nailed that one.
Trump brings up his personal pissing contest as his reason for opposing statehood

Pretty simple really.

It will never happen. Texas will break into 5 states and destroy you, as it should be.
And California will break into twenty

The last thing we need to do is make Puerto Rico a state.

Puerto Rican government-debt crisis. The Puerto Rican government-debt crisis is a financial crisis affecting the government of Puerto Rico.[a] After decades of mismanagement and centuries of colonial rule, the government's outstanding debt exceeds $70 billion (in addition to $50 billion in pension obligations).

Massive corruption, mismanagement, ancient, outdated infrastructure, and their economy is in mass confusion.
Didn't I hear about one of the midwest states being on the brink of bankruptcy last year? Did we cut them loose? How did it affect the federal budget?
Kansas....a master example of a GOP run state.

Pretty simple really.
Actually, Puerto Rico becoming a state will give them TWO seats in the Senate...all states get TWO.

Correct. Sorry. There will always be the possibility of a tie in the Senate.

Pretty simple really.

Ah HAH! A real reason to not admit P.R.

Pretty simple really.

That's not quite true.

Puerto Rico citizens do pay some taxes to the federal government.

So they are paying back into it.

Taxation in Puerto Rico - Wikipedia

The last thing we need to do is make Puerto Rico a state.

Puerto Rican government-debt crisis. The Puerto Rican government-debt crisis is a financial crisis affecting the government of Puerto Rico.[a] After decades of mismanagement and centuries of colonial rule, the government's outstanding debt exceeds $70 billion (in addition to $50 billion in pension obligations).

Massive corruption, mismanagement, ancient, outdated infrastructure, and their economy is in mass confusion.

You provide a better response than Trump

President Trump is much more tactful than me.

Forum List

Back