Why is it a big deal that Muslims have a day of prayer?

We already had our National Day of Prayer which is an ecumenical celebration. Yet Obama chose not to attend. Why didn't the muslims attend that day? Perhaps Obama will recognize individual days of prayer on Capitol Hill for Catholics , Baptists, Jews, Buddhists,Scientologists, and each religion.
-----------
In 1952 President Truman established one day a year as a National Day of Prayer.

In 1988, President Reagan designated the first Thursday in May of each year as the National Day of Prayer.

This year, 2009, President Obama, decided to cancel the ceremony for the National Day of Prayer at the White House. The reason... not wanting to offend anyone.

Muslim website footer: "OUR TIME HAS COME."

September 25, 2009 Islamic Day of Prayer at the White House | Culture Wars

What does President Obama have to do with these people peaceably assembling and exercising their right to worship?

Setting aside the fact that they are Muslims, will someone please explain to me why one group's religious request was honored and taxpayer money spent in the form of street and grounds cleaning & care, electricity for speakers and microphones, security, etc., (which was probably heightened due to possible confrontations) while all other religious groups were denied (because the president made the decision to cancel it) the opportunity to participate in what has been, for years, the NATIONAL Day of Prayer event.

That is the basis of the complaint. Good Muslims or bad, it was wrong to show favoritism to them, whle denying everyone else the same freedom.
No one was denied shit.

The 58th Annual National Day of Prayer took place Thursday, May 7, 2009. Millions united in prayer as thousands of events took place from coast to coast.

Millions Gather on the 2009 National Day of Prayer

Throughout the nation, we witnessed a greater outpouring of prayer for our nation on the First Thursday in May than ever before. The number of the public-invited events posted on our Web site through our event tracker increased 19 percent from the previous year. We experienced more favor from local and state governments this year; more politicians participated this year, more access to government buildings, and even more governors (all 50 signed proclamations) and mayors participated. Some highlights include events at Kennedy Space Center, Colonial Williamsburg, General Motors, American Express and fast food restaurants. PrayerFlight; a group of Ohio based private pilots organized "50 Capitols" in which private pilots flew over all 50 state capitols, praying for their states. YMCAs and the Salvation Army held events around the nation. Marketplace Ministries held prayer gatherings in over 250 companies around the nation. Nationally known speakers such as John Maxwell, Beth Moore, Pat Boone, Colt McCoy, Max Lucado, Eric Close, Lt Gen Jerry Boykin and Mike Huckabee spoke at several observances. Musicians Ricky Skaggs, Clay Walker performed at events. In Salt Lake City, Nick Vujicic, a remarkable young man from Australia who was born without arms or legs electrified the crowd. Prayer events were held at over 100 Federal Prisons, national monuments such as the St. Louis Gateway Arch, Air Force bases, Marine Corps bases, Naval Air Stations, the National Institute of Health, stadiums, nursing homes, schools, town halls and in the Senate and Congressional chambers of many state capitols as well as the west lawn of our nation's capitol in Washington, DC. In rain, snow, sunshine or indoors tens of thousands of prayer events took place with every denomination and race present in all 50 states, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and at military bases in Afghanistan, Iraq and South Korea.

In addition to the huge variety of venues, the prayer events took on the unique direction of our thousands of volunteer organizers. Prayer breakfasts, prayer walks, Bible reading marathons, motorcycle cavalcades, freedom teen rallies, prayer at countless businesses, churches and schools, and even prayer balloon releases marked some of the creativity of our massive national network. Governors in Virginia, Utah, West Virginia, Minnesota, Texas and Tennessee and Lt Governors in Hawaii, Indiana and Missouri spoke at their events and were prayed over by participants.
Attorney Generals and Judges participated in many states. In the Cannon House Office Building, home to the offices of our U.S. Congressional leaders, the Task Force hosted a prayer event with several members of the Legislative and Judicial branches of our government, high ranking military officers and former NFL MVP Shaun Alexander which was televised around the globe to 22 nations.

Millions united in prayer from coast to coast and transformation is taking place in communites throughout America. Join with us, again, as we unite in prayer on May 6, 2010.

For Immediate Release May 7, 2009

NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER, 2009
- - - - - - -
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION
Throughout our Nation's history, Americans have come together in moments of great challenge and uncertainty to humble themselves in prayer. In 1775, as the Continental Congress began the task of forging a new Nation, colonists were asked to observe a day of quiet humiliation and prayer. Almost a century later, as the flames of the Civil War burned from north to south, President Lincoln and the Congress once again asked the American people to pray as the fate of their Nation hung in the balance.

It is in that spirit of unity and reflection that we once again designate the first Thursday in May as the National Day of Prayer. Let us remember those who came before us, and let us each give thanks for the courage and compassion shown by so many in this country and around the world.

On this day of unity and prayer, let us also honor the service and sacrifice of the men and women of the United States Armed Forces. We celebrate their commitment to uphold our highest ideals, and we recognize that it is because of them that we continue to live in a Nation where people of all faiths can worship or not worship according to the dictates of their conscience.

Let us also use this day to come together in a moment of peace and goodwill. Our world grows smaller by the day, and our varied beliefs can bring us together to feed the hungry and comfort the afflicted; to make peace where there is strife; and to lift up those who have fallen on hard times. As we observe this day of prayer, we remember the one law that binds all great religions together: the Golden Rule, and its call to love one another; to understand one another; and to treat with dignity and respect those with whom we share a brief moment on this Earth.

The Congress, by Public Law 100-307, as amended, has called on the President to issue each year a proclamation designating the first Thursday in May as a "National Day of Prayer."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 7, 2009, as a National Day of Prayer. I call upon Americans to pray in thanksgiving for our freedoms and blessings and to ask for God's continued guidance, grace, and protection for this land that we love.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this seventh day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.
BARACK OBAMA

http://www.ndptf.org/about/index.cfm

For the past eight years, President George W. Bush invited selected Christian and Jewish leaders to the White House East Room, where he typically would give a short speech and several leaders offered prayers.

Perhaps that is why many Muslims didn't participate?

Last edited:
Moderate muslims get almost zero air time on main stream media.

I watched both MSNBC and Fox news coverage of the Muslim Day of Prayer.

Both networks devoted about 10 to 15 seconds on the subject. (video of muslims praying), and a 2 or 3 sentence comment that there was a muslim prayer day in DC

Then both newscasts devoted several minutes to the arrests of alleged terrorist and the possible delay of closing Gitmo.

People are always saying where are the moderate muslims?

They are out there and speaking up against terrorism and championing America.

But the media doesn't relay that message to the people.

It would have been nice to hear what was said and prayed about during the Muslim Day of Prayer.

Last edited:
Setting aside the fact that they are Muslims, will someone please explain to me why one group's religious request was honored and taxpayer money spent in the form of street and grounds cleaning & care, electricity for speakers and microphones, security, etc., (which was probably heightened due to possible confrontations) while all other religious groups were denied (because the president made the decision to cancel it) the opportunity to participate in what has been, for years, the NATIONAL Day of Prayer event.

That is the basis of the complaint. Good Muslims or bad, it was wrong to show favoritism to them, whle denying everyone else the same freedom.
The Muslim Day of Prayer was just a local group of muslims who decided to get together and have a prayer day for America.

It was not sponsered by the government or any government organization.

That the President cancelled a National Day of Prayer, had zero to do with local muslims having their own pro America day of prayer.

He didn't cancel the National Day of Prayer; it went on as planned.

Emma, and others questioning cancellation of 2009 National Day of Prayer events:

Obama tones down National Day of Prayer observance

Wed May 6, 2009
By Kristi Keck
CNN

(CNN) -- For the past eight years, the White House recognized the National Day of Prayer with a service in the East Room, but this year, President Obama decided against holding a public ceremony.

Obama tones down National Day of Prayer observance - CNN.com

(People went on to hold their own ceremonies in spite of this.)

Of course there are many wonderful American Muslims, but there are others we must watch out for:

Muslim Prayer Revolution
Townhall.com ^ | September 25, 2009 | Robert Knight

<snip>

Abdul Malik, is also an organizer. His Facebook site has an interesting lecture for young people. Here are some excerpts:

I want you to hear me very clearly: we must remember as Muslims, we submit and we surrender to nothing and no one: not the government, not the police, not the FBI, not the CIA. We submit and we surrender Allah alone, nothing else. Nothing else…..

It’s not gonna be easy and you don’t have time to waste believing that you’re young and that you can involve yourself in sport and play because when the enemies of truth drop the bombs on the world of Islam, their number one target, and the number one people that suffer the most, it is the children who suffer, it is the old, it is the women and that day they become widows and they poison the waters and the air, and the children upon, with cancers and other diseases …

Democracy is not revelation, and democracy does not equal freedom, for in democracy...you have all of the vices that are against the spirit of truth; so no we don't want to democratize Islam, we want to Islamize democracy. That's what we want." ...

Full article at Robert Knight : What I Saw at the (Muslim Prayer) Revolution - Townhall.com

More from the same article:

Another major organizer of the prayer rally is Manhattan imam Sheihk Ahmed Dewidar, who says Muslims need to project a more moderate image in order to achieve their ultimate goals.

On June 9, 2005, during an interview translated by MEMR TV, short for the Middle East Research Institute Monitoring Project, he quoted another imam uncritically:

Dewidar: In 1995 I heard some sermons, saying that Muslims should march on the White House from some of the mosques.

Host: What do you mean by “march on the White House”?

Dewidar: One cleric said in his sermon: “We are going to the White House, so that Islam will be victorious, Allah willing, andthe White House will become into the Muslim house.”

Dewidar then explained that Muslim ideas will be victorious if they lose their radical image.

Emma, and others questioning cancellation of 2009 National Day of Prayer events:

Wed May 6, 2009
By Kristi Keck
CNN

(CNN) -- For the past eight years, the White House recognized the National Day of Prayer with a service in the East Room, but this year, President Obama decided against holding a public ceremony.

He chose (as did Presidents prior to GWB) to personally observe it in private.

Did you miss his Presidential proclamation I posted above?

Of course there are many wonderful American Muslims, but there are others we must watch out for:

<snip>

It sounds as though you'd prefer to live in a theocracy, with a State religion.

I prefer our country and our Constitution, thanks.

I have to agree with you. We have a great Constitution, don't we? Unfortunately, our current administration chooses ignore it and/or bend the content whenever possible.

<snip>

I have to agree with you. We have a great Constitution, don't we? Unfortunately, our current administration chooses ignore it and/or bend the content whenever possible.
Bush and Cheney basically shredded the Constitution and used it for toilet paper!!! :evil:

Wed May 6, 2009
By Kristi Keck
CNN

The President toned down his own participation in the National Day of Prayer. He does not run it, he does not control it in any way. Stop being so silly. You just hurt your own argument when you go all false information on us like that.

Wed May 6, 2009
By Kristi Keck
CNN

The President toned down his own participation in the National Day of Prayer. He does not run it, he does not control it in any way. Stop being so silly. You just hurt your own argument when you go all false information on us like that.

bodecea, do your homework.

(from the national day of prayer website)

Who We Are and What We Do

The National Day of Prayer is an annual observance held on the first Thursday of May, inviting people of all faiths to pray for the nation. It was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress, and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman.

Last edited:

<snip>

How is Muslims exercising their right to assemble and worship ignoring or "bending" the Constitution? :eusa_eh:

How is Muslims exercising their right to assemble and worship ignoring or "bending" the Constitution? :eusa_eh:

It was a generalization regarding the Constitution, Emma, as was your comment on the Constitution.

what favoritism? obama canceled the white house observation, not the day itself.if you'll show me where he had the muslims into the east room to pray, i'll agree with you.

since you can't, because he didn't, you just sound like an ignorant whiner.

Okay, this is turning into a sissy slapfest, so let's all play together:

ObamaMonopoly.jpg

Forum List

Back