How to talk to complete idiots

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Three basic options. Choose wisely, lest you go totally insane

By Mark Morford

"The absolute best way to speak to complete idiots is, of course, not to speak to them at all.

That is, you work around them, ignore them completely, disregard the rants and the spittle and the misspelled protest signs and the fervent prayers for apocalypse on Fox News. Complete refusal to take the fringe nutballs even the slightest bit seriously is the only way to make true progress."

How to talk to complete idiots / Three basic options. Choose wisely, lest you go totally insane
washingtonpost.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPwGV1h4lW8]YouTube - Frank Schaeffer on Rachel Maddow[/ame]

By Mark Morford

"The absolute best way to speak to complete idiots is, of course, not to speak to them at all.

That is, you work around them, ignore them completely, disregard the rants and the spittle and the misspelled protest signs and the fervent prayers for apocalypse on Fox News. Complete refusal to take the fringe nutballs even the slightest bit seriously is the only way to make true progress."

How to talk to complete idiots / Three basic options. Choose wisely, lest you go totally insane
washingtonpost.com

YouTube - Frank Schaeffer on Rachel Maddow

frank Schrieffer is a fearful and fear mongering Satanist..that hates god .. free speech..home school and middle America... an elitist Anti-American piece of crap

Last edited:

By Mark Morford

The man who is not
Says to ignore those who are
nobody listens

I've maybe managed to have one person change their point of view in my life. Well worth it.

I've maybe managed to have one person change their point of view in my life. Well worth it.
It IS pretty rewarding when that happens. And our demeanor in engaging another determines whether they will be receptive to our ideas or not.

I have never and will never understand the point of posting in a forum just as a cheerleader or propagandist appealing to emotions. It seems so nonproductive. The only folks who will agree with you are already in your same camp. How boring.

And, I would bet that you have been persuaded to a different point of view whenever you've engaged an interesting poster. Those with open minds usually have just as many of those experiences, as well, IMO.

I find that rewarding, too.

It IS pretty rewarding when that happens. And our demeanor in engaging another determines whether they will be receptive to our ideas or not.

I have never and will never understand the point of posting in a forum just as a cheerleader or propagandist appealing to emotions. It seems so nonproductive. The only folks who will agree with you are already in your same camp. How boring.

One sometimes grows tired of the constant BS and naming calling. Notice it is the messenger who gets shot - is there any validity to the message is the real question. Few ever face that harder fact.

Once when someone asked me to join their forum they put forth the philosophy that you cannot change the Garyds or the Ringel05s, and Eots is a conspiracy buff. Their point was you post for the anonymous readers, for the searchers, for those still open to ideas. Who can change the birthers, the tea partiers, or the fundies? How can you change what is beyond reason?

I was going to change my avatar after the election, but a few told me it made them sick so obviously being the contrarian I am, I kept it and will keep it till .... jeez hard to say.

I do not write for those who agree with me, I do not write for those who will always disagree with me, I write for those who can still think. midcan

What does your avatar say? I cannot read the comic.

"A fifth column of insanity"

Yeah, that pretty much describes a lot of my fellow Christians.

"Beyond crazy" he calls them?

Well given that many of them are waiting for the Rapture, something that has nothing whatever to do with Christian dogma?

Yeah, these people are fucking nutters, alright.

One sometimes grows tired of the constant BS and naming calling. Notice it is the messenger who gets shot - is there any validity to the message is the real question. Few ever face that harder fact.

Once when someone asked me to join their forum they put forth the philosophy that you cannot change the Garyds or the Ringel05s, and Eots is a conspiracy buff. Their point was you post for the anonymous readers, for the searchers, for those still open to ideas. Who can change the birthers, the tea partiers, or the fundies? How can you change what is beyond reason?

I was going to change my avatar after the election, but a few told me it made them sick so obviously being the contrarian I am, I kept it and will keep it till .... jeez hard to say.

I do not write for those who agree with me, I do not write for those who will always disagree with me, I write for those who can still think. midcan

The irony is you are everything you say others are, but from the point of view of Obama worship.

Its amusing and ironic to hear you attempt to wax poetic on the faults of others while missing the face that stares back at you in a mirror, to paraphrase an earlier comment.

For every 'birther' there is a midcan5, willing to say or do anything in support of a political leader you probaly never heard of two years ago.

If you wish to see an example of how to speak to an idiot, I just provided it for you.

He is right about the fringe idiots and their misspelled signs:

Dream.jpg

I live in Indiana. The last time i bought a car and needed to pick up a license plate, there was a hulabaloo locally about two designs of the Indiana plate that could be had for free. One displayed the symbol of the state and the other had the words, "In God We Trust" on it.

Because the "In God We Trust" plate had the word "God" on it, there was a law suit in process that it should be charged at a rate of vanity plates. The proponent in the case was quite passionate about this.

Having no real feeling one way or the other on the issue, I took the "In God We Trust" plate just to get a rise out of anyone who who was subject to the passion.

It's kind of like judo of the mind.

I live in Indiana. The last time i bought a car and needed to pick up a license plate, there was a hulabaloo locally about two designs of the Indiana plate that could be had for free. One displayed the symbol of the state and the other had the words, "In God We Trust" on it.

Because the "In God We Trust" plate had the word "God" on it, there was a law suit in process that it should be charged at a rate of vanity plates. The proponent in the case was quite passionate about this.

Having no real feeling one way or the other on the issue, I took the "In God We Trust" plate just to get a rise out of anyone who who was subject to the passion.

It's kind of like judo of the mind.
Or a Jedi mind trick?
:lol:

If you wish to see an example of how to speak to an idiot, I just provided it for you.

And you said nothing.

"So here I come to thee
Against my will; and surely do I trow
Thou dost not wish to see me. Still ’tis true
That no man loves the messenger of ill."

Antigone

Last edited:

Forum List

Back