Why do we want Puerto Rico

The problem with that is that a lot of people agree with them whether they make up 2% or 90%. Like it or not the days of colonial empire are over. No laws are being broken, and frankly we have no business running perpetual colonial fiefdoms. Give them the choice and let them decide. I couldn't care less if it's one guy behind it who also happens to be a Chinese fascist in a gorilla suit, it's a good idea and I hope Congress approves.
"A lot" of people agree with them?!?!?...That's your criteria in a *ahem* democracy?

This isn't about colonial times...This is about a blatant attempt by one party in America (guess which) to gain nearly permanent one-party rule, through jimmying the election when they don't like the results they've been getting.

I think there are interests coinciding here to allow something to happen that should have happened a long time ago. Yes, it is about colonialism. What else is Puerto Rico after all? A colony.

The fact that it's become politically palatable, even advantageous, to the current majority to do something about it just means something might get done about it. That's never happened before, right?

The problem with that is that a lot of people agree with them whether they make up 2% or 90%. Like it or not the days of colonial empire are over. No laws are being broken, and frankly we have no business running perpetual colonial fiefdoms. Give them the choice and let them decide. I couldn't care less if it's one guy behind it who also happens to be a Chinese fascist in a gorilla suit, it's a good idea and I hope Congress approves.
"A lot" of people agree with them?!?!?...That's your criteria in a *ahem* democracy?

This isn't about colonial times...This is about a blatant attempt by one party in America (guess which) to gain nearly permanent one-party rule, through jimmying the election when they don't like the results they've been getting.

I think there are interests coinciding here to allow something to happen that should have happened a long time ago. Yes, it is about colonialism. What else is Puerto Rico after all? A colony.

The fact that it's become politically palatable, even advantageous, to the current majority to do something about it just means something might get done about it. That's never happened before, right?

That it's happened before should never be considered justification for it to happen again.

That it's happened before should never be considered justification for it to happen again.

Ideally? Maybe. But we're talking about Congress here, which is a political body filled with political hacks. From a practical standpoint if it's not in their political interests it won't get done. And frankly I don't care where the idea came from or what percentage of whose population makes up the label attached to it, it's a good idea that should be done.

Ideally? Maybe. But we're talking about Congress here, which is a political body filled with political hacks. From a practical standpoint if it's not in their political interests it won't get done. And frankly I don't care where the idea came from or what percentage of whose population makes up the label attached to it, it's a good idea that should be done.

Even though you recognize that it's politically advantageous for the Dems to have PR as a state, and that they would move on it BECAUSE of that, you still support the idea?

The electoral consequences ALONE ought to dissuade any centrist from supporting something like that.

Even though you recognize that it's politically advantageous for the Dems to have PR as a state, and that they would move on it BECAUSE of that, you still support the idea?

The electoral consequences ALONE ought to dissuade any centrist from supporting something like that.

Be realistic here. What is the population of Puerto Rico? How many Congressional seats/electoral votes are they likely to receive? And how well offset by the inevitable compromise seats in underrepresented Red states as well as probable net gains in those areas as a result of the census? This is certainly advantageous, but hardly the makings of a "perpetual majority". And the positives in getting rid of a colony outweigh the negatives.

"Trust none of what you hear And less of what you see" Springsteen

When the Founding Fathers protected our right to free speech, I think that meant we were supposed to use it.

Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi was the world's most unhinged lunatic. He's now dead. So that moves Ann Coulter up to first place - David Letterman

And you can't find anyone better than letterman and springsteen? That's all you've got? This Puerto Rico crap is just another ploy by this boy wonder who couldn't govern his way out of a paper bag. Remember November.

Ole Miss Rebel
Tea Party Patriot
NOT RACIST, NOT VIOLENT, AND NO LONGER SILENT

Be realistic here. What is the population of Puerto Rico? How many Congressional seats/electoral votes are they likely to receive? And how well offset by the inevitable compromise seats in underrepresented Red states as well as probable net gains in those areas as a result of the census? This is certainly advantageous, but hardly the makings of a "perpetual majority". And the positives in getting rid of a colony outweigh the negatives.

I never claimed a perpetual majority. Only that the Dems would move on it out of sheer politics. Regardless, it benefits them.

The centrist is one who is dissuaded by such tactics, or so I would think.

Is it just a coincidence that you support the idea, and that it's potentially happening on the Dems' watch?

I never claimed a perpetual majority. Only that the Dems would move on it out of sheer politics. Regardless, it benefits them.

The centrist is one who is dissuaded by such tactics, or so I would think.

Is it just a coincidence that you support the idea, and that it's potentially happening on the Dems' watch?

You're right, my apologies. I think it was Dude who used the permanent majority thing.

I'm a pragmatist and a realist, Paulie. Results matter, and lawmaking is always ugly. Whether I would approve in a perfect world is irrelevant, we don't live in a perfect world and the advantage to the Dems as a party is real but grossly overstated. The fact is I oppose maintaining colonial hangovers on our dime in perpetuity. If these coinciding interests are what makes Congress move and finally do what should have been done generations ago, then this is what it takes.

On the left there is a good reason to want Puerto Rico....and 3 other good reasons to be on the good side of our neighbors in the Carribean and Gulf of Mexico...:lol:

puerto-rican-women.jpg

They already have all of the benefits without any of the responsibilities, I doubt they will want to become a State, if they are smart, they won't.

I have a Cousin who moved there, loves it.
Most of my Mom's side of the family is from there...I've never been, but I'd love to go there one day.

And this PR is conservative...but maybe not in the eyes of some neocons! :D

The last time I went to gitmo, we flew over to Rosie for a long wekend. Great times.

(Go Navy!)

On the left there is a good reason to want Puerto Rico....and 3 other good reasons to be on the good side of our neighbors in the Carribean and Gulf of Mexico...:lol:

puerto-rican-women.jpg

This is a perfect example of why I hate the Ms. California types (typically). Bonde hair bule eyes bore me since I lived in Pacific Beach Ca. for so long.

puerto-rican-women.jpg

This is a perfect example of why I hate the Ms. California types (typically). Bonde hair bule eyes bore me since I lived in Pacific Beach Ca. for so long.

Well, they don't "bore me."

Although I never lived in Pacific Beach CA, or Sweden, I still find Latinas WAY HAWT.:eusa_drool:

puerto-rican-women.jpg

Well, they don't "bore me."

Although I never lived in Pacific Beach CA, or Sweden, I still find Latinas WAY HAWT.:eusa_drool:

Like with those four You could even get a word in. LOL!

Forum List

Back