Zone1 Why Do We Still Call Black People African Americans?

'Compensation' for what specifically? Black Americans were conscripted in every war yet they were subjected to racism, lynchings, and deadly clandestine procedures such as the 'Tuskegee Experiment'. And the Italians? Adolf Hitler modeled his Nazi scourage on Benito Mussolini's Fascist movement yet Italian Americans "owned" the American entertainment business during that epoch with the likes of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Pery Como, Dean Martin, Louis Prima, Gina Lollobrigida, Sofia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, etc. etc. etc. So .... what 'compensation' would you be you referring to? :45:

The military has been guilty of atrocities to their personnel regardless of race--e.g. LSD experiments, atomic bomb detonation observers, agent orange victims etc. As for "European Americans" knowing their heritage. You paint with a broad brush as many of those folks don't have a clue. Life has its twists and turns for everyone and anyone who claims perpetual victimhood make victims of themselves.

...... Black Americans were conscripted in every war yet they were subjected to racism, lynchings, and deadly clandestine procedures such as the 'Tuskegee Experiment'.
The military has been guilty of atrocities to their personnel regardless of race ...
If you don't know about the 'Tuskegee Experiment' then you are faced with an uncomfortable choice:

1). Find out
... or ...
2). Don't find out.

I can speak only for myself, of course.

I refer to "African Americans" because in American English, the shorter word is often (not always) rude or sounds rude (depending on how one pronounces it).

That is why I always refer to a "Jewish person." The three-letter word is too curt for my tastes.

I prefer to say, "Oh, he was African American" instead of "Oh, he was b---k." (And "Oh, she was Caucasian," instead of "Oh, she was w/White."

Furthermore, the five-letter word has a negative connotation because that ethnicity is often associated with violent crime. "African American" is softer.

My ancestors were working, fighting, and dying on this continent before there ever was an "America". And when "America" as we know it is dead and gone... We'll still be here.

Spare me your opinion. None of you say jack about white ethnic groups that do this. Don't tell me how to go through life, because this thread is nothing but a bunch of white racists giving themselves an excuse to say derogatory things about blacks.

Fell free to point out any post, any post, in which I have ever said anything derogatory about Blacks, or any other race for that matter. Just one. You have almost seventeen years of posts, more than 27,000 to choose from. You have called me a racist, now back it up. Put up or shut up.

I refer to "African Americans" because in American English, the shorter word is often (not always) rude or sounds rude (depending on how one pronounces it).

That is why I always refer to a "Jewish person." The three-letter word is too curt for my tastes.

I prefer to say, "Oh, he was African American" instead of "Oh, he was b---k." (And "Oh, she was Caucasian," instead of "Oh, she was w/White."

Furthermore, the five-letter word has a negative connotation because that ethnicity is often associated with violent crime. "African American" is softer.

This is a pile of Bull Shit. Why are Americans so stupid? I lived several years in the US and I’ve seen and heard how dumb they can be. For example: In Europe, we wear socks with sandals if we feel like it but Americans freak out about it. Why? What’s it you? And what is so derogatory about the word “Jew”? The fact that Americans shy away from calling some a “Jew” proves their own anti-Semitism. Do you think Jews are ashamed of being Jews? And then there’s the word “Polack”. Americans use it as an insult to people from Poland. Why? If you are an American you call yourself “American” in English. If you are from Poland what do you think they call themselves in Polish? “Polack”. It’s a Polish word, duh. Americans use it as an insult because they think Poles are ashamed of being Polish.

I insist on being called European American

Please tell me that you're being sarcastic.

So in other words you're saying that you find it racist to say the word black. I don't find it racist to say the word white though so why is that?

Please tell me that you're being sarcastic.

So in other words you're saying that you find it racist to say the word black. I don't find it racist to say the word white though so why is that?
I do not feel that the B-word is "racist."

I just feel "African American" is more gentle.

We should all be as kind as possible in our language.

Happy New Year to you & your family.

I just feel "African American" is more gentle.

We should all be as kind as possible in our language.

Happy New Year to you & your family.

Thanks, happy new year to you as that's why I liked your post, and you seem like a really nice person but that can only get you so far when dealing with the left. In other words, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but ninety-nine point nine percent of your post is full of applesauce. People are WAY too offended these days.

Show me this "disregard" so that I can respond to it.

IM2 made the comparison in post #44 -

niashf.org

Home - National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame

NIASHF.ORG Celebrating Generations of Italian Americans in Sports The NIASHF is a not-for-profit educational institution dedicated to preserving & promoting the history and heritage of Italian Americans in Sports. New Website Coming in 2023 The NIASHF is working hard to bring it’s loyal members...
niashf.org

None of you have a problem with this.. And don't lie about how you feel the same way about this as you do about the term African American..

In post #51 you responded to my response to IM2-

Compensation' for what specifically? Black Americans were conscripted in every war yet they were subjected to racism, lynchings, and deadly clandestine procedures such as the 'Tuskegee Experiment'.​

In post #53 I pointed out TO YOU that it was IM2’s who was comparing Italians to African Americans -

It was IM2‘s analogy. Go work it out with him. He’s the one comparing Italians to some petty grievance group.
In post #56 you disregarded the context that I was referring to IM2’s comparison and demanded I explain my post removed from the original context of IM2’ comparison -

I quoted you. If the quote isn't attributed to your words then check your own quote or complain to the USMB management.

This is all a ridiculous exercise due to the fact you apparently can’t follow the discussion on your own. I literally have mapped it out for you. I never claimed Italian Americans were due compensation. That statement was in in response to and to contrast IM2’s equivalence between Italians and African Americans.

If you don't know about the 'Tuskegee Experiment' then you are faced with an uncomfortable choice:

1). Find out
... or ...
2). Don't find out.
I think I addressed that concern. Do you have comprehension problems. Maybe you should look into the GIs who were given LSD without their knowledge or the GIs that were exposed to atomic radiation. Give it up. As I said and reiterate, bad things have been done to all kinds of people by their governments. Those who are unable to move on and make sure it doesn't happen again are doomed to be victims. Were you infected with syphilis without your knowledge?

I think his heart is in the right place but, yes that's what he's saying by default.

Wow, that is complete bullshit.
It's pretty damned accurate. For instance, I know one of my ancestors came from Ireland, but not his name or even the county he came from. Another came from Sweden, but again I don't know his name or where he was from. Another was Comanche, I knew her name at one point as a child. The only ancestor I can really identify with certainty was the youngest son of The Spencer who came to the colonies on an indenture sometime in the 1760s because there was nothing left for him in Scotland. That's probably far more than most Americans know about their ancestors.

Fell free to point out any post, any post, in which I have ever said anything derogatory about Blacks, or any other race for that matter. Just one. You have almost seventeen years of posts, more than 27,000 to choose from. You have called me a racist, now back it up. Put up or shut up.
You disagreed with him, that's enough for him to label you a racist.

IM2 made the comparison in post #44 -

In post #51 you responded to my response to IM2-

In post #53 I pointed out TO YOU that it was IM2’s who was comparing Italians to African Americans -

In post #56 you disregarded the context that I was referring to IM2’s comparison and demanded I explain my post removed from the original context of IM2’ comparison -

This is all a ridiculous exercise due to the fact you apparently can’t follow the discussion on your own. I literally have mapped it out for you. I never claimed Italian Americans were due compensation. That statement was in in response to and to contrast IM2’s equivalence between Italians and African Americans.
I don't give a fiddler's ingrown toenail what you "think". I clicked on your post and the quote was attributed to you. That's how I saw it and that's how it was registered. If those aren't your words then there are two possibilities, neither of which is my fault. It's either your mistake or the forum's mistake. Edited-meister

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back