Who Is This?

DING, DING, DING!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Yes, that Sta-puff marshmallow looking fellow is none other than Greg Lake. My brother and I saw Emerson/Lake last night at a small venue. Just the two of them the place held maybe 1000 people if that. Very different concert . . . they told how each song came about or talked about The Nice or King Crimson, talked about how they found inspiration for songs, had a little Q&A from the audience. A very, very 'connected with the audience' type show. We were 22 rows back. And yes, that's Keith's moog. The thing is archaic but the sound . . . God, it just brings you back. I was uber, uber, uber disappointed that I didn't catch a pic of Keith . . . they got off their bus just before I had a chance to snap Keith's pic and only got the one of Greg. No pics, no videos inside either. But the show was excellent. Lake's voice is still there . . . older and a bit worn but he sounded great. Keith . . . despite many surgeries still blows it out of the water. He is phenomenal.

The Moog patch looked familiar , Lucky guess thanks

DING, DING, DING!

Yes, that Sta-puff marshmallow looking fellow is none other than Greg Lake. My brother and I saw Emerson/Lake last night at a small venue. Just the two of them the place held maybe 1000 people if that. Very different concert . . . they told how each song came about or talked about The Nice or King Crimson, talked about how they found inspiration for songs, had a little Q&A from the audience. A very, very 'connected with the audience' type show. We were 22 rows back. And yes, that's Keith's moog. The thing is archaic but the sound . . . God, it just brings you back. I was uber, uber, uber disappointed that I didn't catch a pic of Keith . . . they got off their bus just before I had a chance to snap Keith's pic and only got the one of Greg. No pics, no videos inside either. But the show was excellent. Lake's voice is still there . . . older and a bit worn but he sounded great. Keith . . . despite many surgeries still blows it out of the water. He is phenomenal.

You have got to be kidding me. I would never have guessed that was Greg Lake. I must now listen to some ELP!

I KNOW! He has been feeding these past years. Even in person he is huge. He always had that cherubic face but now the rest matches it. He sat on a stool the entire show rather than standing. That's a first as far as I can remember. He wears glasses now (don't we all? lol) and with the thinning hair and being heavier he kind of looked like a cross between W.C. Fields and Papa Smurf. Then again, so did half the audience! He still sounds great though.

DING, DING, DING!

The Moog patch looked familiar , Lucky guess thanks

I don't know how the thing still works but it does. I thought it was just a prop but when he played it and that distinctive moog sound came out . . . . it's just unmistakable ELP.

During the Q&A part one guy stood up and said that he had seen ELP about 15 years ago and that at the time Keith had his hand in a sling. The guy said that he heard that Keith had had recent problems and basically was just asking how he was doing. (I had tickets to see Keith last August at a really small venue near me, holds maybe 500 people, but he canceled due to hand problems). Anyway, Keith said that he's had several surgeries on his hands/wrist/tendons and that he felt a few of them were completely unnecessary and he wished he hadn't had them. He went on to say that at times he just didn't know what was going to happen and that he fell into great, great despair. While he was talking about this he got a frog in his throat . . . or at least that's what I thought until he stepped back from the mic. He completely welled-up and was very, very emotional. He tried a few more times to finish what he was saying but had to just let Lake answer a question while he composed himself. His pain and despair must have been very, very bad from how he reacted. The whole show and atmosphere was really, really cool in that you felt like you got to know them as people, rather than just performers.

Forum List

Back