Who Can Forgive Your Sins?

As far as I know once a person has accepted Jesus as thier personal saviour they're forgiven for past and future sins, which would seem like an invitation for a person to sin as much as they want in whatever areas, but like I heard on a sermon one day on the radio "Christians still sin, we're only human, but we don't have as much fun as we used to while doing it and recognize it for the problem it is", or something thereabouts.

That's not exactly true. One has to repent for their sins which means they have to change their way of thinking about it and change their behavior. I realize it's not always easy. A murderer. robber, or adulterer is not saved if they continue to kill. steal, or cheat. They have to change their sinful ways. In this life, you have to pay for your crimes. I don't think it's any different in the next one.
A murderer can murder all his life and repent 2 seconds before he dies.

Believing you are evil and base and born as a sinner is a recipe for a maladjusted personality. You confirm that with each post.

I didn't say I believe one is evil and base, but we are all born in sin from Adam. That doesn't make you a sinner, but we end up being more susceptible to sin. We lie, cheat, steal, and break the commandments. What I did say was if you end up becoming a believer, they they are more likely to want the cleansing of their sins. We want the Lord to forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. That was one interpretation of the shower scene. She was going to repent for her crime. OTOH, those who don't believe end up trying to cleanse the evidence of their sins. We saw that in the following scene as the dutiful son ended up cleaning the evidence of the sin. It was unfortunate for Marion that it happened in such a shocking manner. Maybe that's why the scene has been remembered by many and they made a movie about it in 2017. There's something there that strikes at the core of our being. This may be because it is symbolic of the cleansing of our sins.
I didn't say I believe one is evil and base, but we are all born in sin from Adam.

and if that were written they were offered choice over comfort to control their own destiny, the same as an offspring leaving the nest that would not be a sin but accurately the possibility to sin requiring their eventual triumph over evil to establish their own self made comfort to live freely in their own Everlasting.

where is your etching in stone from the Almighty saying otherwise that adam and eve sinned rather than accepting their own destiny by choice. becoming adults.

makes a meaningful and real plot line to the movie without a fairytale messiah.

Jesus died on the cross for our sins, so that bill is already paid.

Yes, he did and through the grace of God in Jesus, we were saved. It means we have a chance at life everlasting now instead of ending up spiritually dead.

Thus, Marion, even though she is a fictional character, was figuratively to be cleansed of her sin of stealing around $346,000 in today's dollars because of her change to pay back the money. A thief would have to change their thinking and their behavior to repent and be cleansed.

I think what you do is try to remove her sin by claiming Jesus paid her debt already which isn't the case at all. One still has to repent in order to receive the grace of God through Jesus.

I have this story while attending UC Berkeley of seeing every day a unkempt and disheveled young man carrying a cardboard sign on a wooden stick which read "John 3:16 Repent! The End Is Near." I didn't get it at the time even though I knew it referred to the Bible. I ended up finding God, but didn't find Jesus until 2012. Simple words, but it makes all the difference in the world for the real life.

That's not the way it works. That's not what Jesus said. He is the Savior and our Lord.

Keep in mind repentance not only means turning away from the sin, it includes making restitution and doing the will of God. A little hard to do all that in two seconds. Hopefully, this murderer had turned away from murdering people well before he died and had made some attempt at restitution and doing good so that forgiveness and absolution would be forthcoming. Lip service should not be seen as true repentance.

Jesus died on the cross for our sins, so that bill is already paid.

Yes, he did and through the grace of God in Jesus, we were saved. It means we have a chance at life everlasting now instead of ending up spiritually dead.

Thus, Marion, even though she is a fictional character, was figuratively to be cleansed of her sin of stealing around $346,000 in today's dollars because of her change to pay back the money. A thief would have to change their thinking and their behavior to repent and be cleansed.

I think what you do is try to remove her sin by claiming Jesus paid her debt already which isn't the case at all. One still has to repent in order to receive the grace of God through Jesus.

I have this story while attending UC Berkeley of seeing every day a unkempt and disheveled young man carrying a cardboard sign on a wooden stick which read "John 3:16 Repent! The End Is Near." I didn't get it at the time even though I knew it referred to the Bible. I ended up finding God, but didn't find Jesus until 2012. Simple words, but it makes all the difference in the world for the real life.

That's not the way it works. That's not what Jesus said. He is the Savior and our Lord.
A priest once said that about giving a Hell's Angel a church ceremony, that he might have repented as he was dying.

and if that were written they were offered choice over comfort to control their own destiny, the same as an offspring leaving the nest that would not be a sin but accurately the possibility to sin requiring their eventual triumph over evil to establish their own self made comfort to live freely in their own Everlasting.

where is your etching in stone from the Almighty saying otherwise that adam and eve sinned rather than accepting their own destiny by choice. becoming adults.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they were offered choice over comfort to control their own destiny, etc." I'm not discussing Adam and Eve and they do not have anything to do with the shower scene.

Again, the shower scene was symbolic of Marion, a single woman, who repented and was being cleansed of her sin.

My point is in the short period of minutes, we are shown in religious terms the cleansing of sin and the cleansing of the evidence of sin from our protagonists. It perfectly represents sinner vs. sinless as we see one who is cleansed of sin, but we see the protagonist being replaced by a new protagonist who is a sinner and ends up cleaning the evidence of sin in order to protect his mother.

A priest once said that about giving a Hell's Angel a church ceremony, that he might have repented as he was dying.

I don't know his circumstance. We had Marion who made the decision to change her thinking and her behavior and was ready to go back home to face the consequences instead of continuing on the Fairvale.

I don't know his circumstance. We had Marion who made the decision to change her thinking and her behavior and was ready to go back home to face the consequences instead of continuing on the Fairvale.
You misspelled fairy tale.

You misspelled fairy tale.

That should've been "continuing on to Fairvale." Anyway, I can't disagree that the film and story is fiction. The film is based on a novel by Robert Bloch, and he created his macabre crime story. What is interesting is that his fictional story ended up being similar to the life of a real life serial killer. Art ends up imitating life.

If god didn't want us to sin, he wouldn't have made sin in the first place.

Not really on the topic of the threads, but in response to the title....

Only I can forgive my sins and only through accepting responsibility for my actions.

Did the thief on the cross recall a litany of his sins and ask for forgiveness, prior to going to Paradise with Christ?
He acknowledged that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and asked Jesus to remember him. He had a heart for the Lord. And was saved.
Romans 10:13
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Acts 2:21
And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
Joel 2:32
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered.

Did the lost sheep give an account of it's sins before the Shepherd agreed to picked it up and set it on His shoulders? The sheep cried out for the Shepherd, and was saved.

When we accept Christ into our hearts, our name is written in the Book of Life. Your place at our Father's table is reserved. Will you sin after that? Most assuredly. We sin and don't even recognize that fact at times. Which is why we are covered by the blood that was shed on the cross. One who believes in Christ has no sin in God's eyes. Their sins were dealt with on the cross and remembered NO MORE. That includes yesterdays sins and tomorrow's sins. When God looks at one of his children, He sees His Son, Jesus instead. THAT was the exchange that took place on that cross. He became us on the cross. We became Him in our lives. And no one can pluck you out of His hand.

Having said that, you can remove yourself from His hand by understanding who Christ is and simply choosing not to accept His gift of propitiation, and opting to follow your father Satan instead. That is our free will, and God will leave us to it.

If we belong to Christ, our hearts don't want to keep Him on that cross indefinitely paying for our sins. So Christians try not to grieve Christ by sinning with impunity. Nevertheless, if you have sinned all your life and ask for forgiveness 5 minutes before you die, you will be forgiven for everything you did while here. Christ loves you that much.
Here is hoping you have those 5 minutes prior to your demise. Your eternity is at stake....

Last edited:
humans were ''made'' to '''sin'''...it's just natural...you DON'T need to be forgiven

I'm not sure what you mean by "they were offered choice over comfort to control their own destiny, etc." I'm not discussing Adam and Eve and they do not have anything to do with the shower scene.

Again, the shower scene was symbolic of Marion, a single woman, who repented and was being cleansed of her sin.

My point is in the short period of minutes, we are shown in religious terms the cleansing of sin and the cleansing of the evidence of sin from our protagonists. It perfectly represents sinner vs. sinless as we see one who is cleansed of sin, but we see the protagonist being replaced by a new protagonist who is a sinner and ends up cleaning the evidence of sin in order to protect his mother.

I didn't say I believe one is evil and base, but we are all born in sin from Adam.

you were who related sin, "we are all born in sin" to adam and eve ... and does have a bearing to the theme you are conveying more so in that it is extremely doubtful Marion had any notion about christianity in her deliberations but her own renewed sense of right and wrong.

humans were ''made'' to '''sin'''...it's just natural...you DON'T need to be forgiven

I agree with one does not need to be forgiven for sin. All one has to be is punished. That means pain and suffering.

Moreover, the opposite of forgive is to punish. It is considered a sin to steal. For example, if you are caught stealing, then you will go to jail. That is for your sin.

There are many different definitions for natural, but I think you mean that which is determined by nature. I suppose it is natural if God is good and sin is bad or evil.

If a wild animal kills one of your loved ones, then it is hunted. Once it is caught and determined it was the animal that did it, then it would be killed. That would its punishment for its sin of killing. That is natural.

To forgive for your sins is only done by God. That is natural. In this life, we do forgive others who do us wrong, but more likely, it's what you said. They get punished.

Last edited:
If god didn't want us to sin, he wouldn't have made sin in the first place.

You keep missing it over and over again. In the six days of creation, God made everything that was good. Everything was perfect. When humans went against God or disobeyed him, then that created sin.

Why else will you be punished for you sins and live in pain and suffering?

Only I can forgive my sins and only through accepting responsibility for my actions.

Sure, that's fine if you live in isolation. With other people around and society, that doesn't make any sense. If you accept responsibility for stealing someone else's car, then they may not forgive you and want to see you punished.for your sin.

extremely doubtful Marion had any notion about christianity in her deliberations but her own renewed sense of right and wrong.

Ah, okay. The Christianity came in when the shower scene was described as symbolic of the cleansing of her sin. It was in the documentary 78/52.

"...it shows Marion, who has committed adultery and theft, trying to cleanse herself of a sin that can’t be washed away."

She didn't commit adultery, but did steal.

Review: Reliving Delicious Terror in ‘78/52: Hitchcock’s Shower Scene’

forgive what can be forgotten - responsibility, is that synonymous with restitution ...

Forum List

Back