Who Can Forgive Your Sins?

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
Yesterday, I was faced with a moral dilemma for Christians. I am a big Alfred Hitchcock fan and Psycho (1960) is one of my favorite movies of his. I think everyone knows of the famous or infamous shower scene where Marion Crane is killed. It is considered the first slasher movie.

My question is this: If Marion was Christian, then was she forgiven for her sins? Did she repent? I think most people have seen the movie and this won't be a spoiler. Marion stole $40,000, or about $346,000 in today's dollars. She decided to go back home and return the money and make up for the difference. Contrary to popular belief, she was not committing adultery with a married man, as Sam Loomis was divorced. She can be in sin having sex out of wedlock, but who's counting?

“Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” Mark 2:7

Do you think she was forgiven?

Here's what happened once she decided to come clean (no pun intended). The shower scene is symbolic of Marion cleansing her sins.

What happens to her afterward is symbolic of Satan. Notice how the evidence of sin is not asked to be cleansed, but it is the evidence of sin is cleansed

That's a tough one. I've seen the movie, been awhile so I didn't realize she intended to return the money. If so, does God not forgive her?

The whole sin, heaven/hell issue can be murky at times. Every sinner can be forgiven I believe, I think it's what is in ones heart, and how damaging were their actions in the totality of their lives, did they seek forgiveness and genuinely change their ways?

Meh, it's a movie. I have my own soul to worry about man :10:

As far as I know once a person has accepted Jesus as thier personal saviour they're forgiven for past and future sins, which would seem like an invitation for a person to sin as much as they want in whatever areas, but like I heard on a sermon one day on the radio "Christians still sin, we're only human, but we don't have as much fun as we used to while doing it and recognize it for the problem it is", or something thereabouts.

Yesterday, I was faced with a moral dilemma for Christians. I am a big Alfred Hitchcock fan and Psycho (1960) is one of my favorite movies of his. I think everyone knows of the famous or infamous shower scene where Marion Crane is killed. It is considered the first slasher movie.

My question is this: If Marion was Christian, then was she forgiven for her sins? Did she repent? I think most people have seen the movie and this won't be a spoiler. Marion stole $40,000, or about $346,000 in today's dollars. She decided to go back home and return the money and make up for the difference. Contrary to popular belief, she was not committing adultery with a married man, as Sam Loomis was divorced. She can be in sin having sex out of wedlock, but who's counting?

“Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” Mark 2:7

Here's what happened once she decided to come clean (no pun intended). The shower scene is symbolic of Marion cleansing her sins.

What happens to her afterward is symbolic of Satan. Notice how the evidence of sin is not asked to be cleansed, but it is the evidence of sin is cleansed

Only Norman's Mother can forgive her sins.

Jesus taught repentance for the forgiveness of sins. This means turning away from sin, making restitution to the extent possible, and then living a life where one does the will of the Father. It sounds like Marion did turn from her sins, did make restitution, etc. A good case can be made that she was forgiven.

That's a tough one. I've seen the movie, been awhile so I didn't realize she intended to return the money. If so, does God not forgive her?

The whole sin, heaven/hell issue can be murky at times. Every sinner can be forgiven I believe, I think it's what is in ones heart, and how damaging were their actions in the totality of their lives, did they seek forgiveness and genuinely change their ways?

Meh, it's a movie. I have my own soul to worry about man :10:

It is a movie, but it's a valid question and I think it happens. I suppose it's what in your heart that counts. What's weird is no one looks at the movie as committing sin. If one starts looking at the movie as committing sin, Norman Bates, a stranger, convinced her to return the money. He said something about everyone getting into their personal traps. Furthermore, we do not look at living our lives as committing or being in sin or not. I guess one ends up becoming a religious nut looking at things that way. It's important, but we do not let it dominate our thoughts.

It struck me as odd as I did not think about Marion being sinful until someone pointed it out to me. I mean we know she stole the money, but we don't think about the consequences. Just what's going to happen. When I first saw the movie on VHS, I didn't think she was in danger, but I had heard about the shower scene which is why I rented the movie. I had seen much bloodier and gorier movies than this, but for some reason this scene stood out. I thought I saw nudity and it looked worse than what we were watching on the screen. The soundtrack and music made it worse. I've seen actual stabbings which led to death in real life and they're usually bloody and pools of blood everywhere.

The other part I came up with myself, i.e. people who do commit the crime try to get rid of the evidence. In regards to sin, they're "cleansing" the evidence and once its gone, then no one can tie them to the "sin" or the crime they committed. It's a different kind of cleansing, but they know it's in their heart. Criminals end up denying their crime and then they can get on with their lives.

As far as I know once a person has accepted Jesus as thier personal saviour they're forgiven for past and future sins, which would seem like an invitation for a person to sin as much as they want in whatever areas, but like I heard on a sermon one day on the radio "Christians still sin, we're only human, but we don't have as much fun as we used to while doing it and recognize it for the problem it is", or something thereabouts.

That's not exactly true. One has to repent for their sins which means they have to change their way of thinking about it and change their behavior. I realize it's not always easy. A murderer. robber, or adulterer is not saved if they continue to kill. steal, or cheat. They have to change their sinful ways. In this life, you have to pay for your crimes. I don't think it's any different in the next one.

Jesus taught repentance for the forgiveness of sins. This means turning away from sin, making restitution to the extent possible, and then living a life where one does the will of the Father. It sounds like Marion did turn from her sins, did make restitution, etc. A good case can be made that she was forgiven.

I guess you didn't see the movie. In the youtube, she figures out what she spent and deducts it from the total amount she stole. I think it indicates that she is going to make restitution as her previous scene with Bates makes it sound that she is going back home and not continuing on to see her boy friend. Above is the scene before the shower scene where she has supper with Bates. However, she ends up taking a shower which is suppose to be the figurative cleansing of her sins, but she didn't make it.

I agree with what you said otherwise.

I guess you didn't see the movie. In the youtube, she figures out what she spent and deducts it from the total amount she stole. I think it indicates that she is going to make restitution as her previous scene with Bates makes it sound that she is going back home and not continuing on to see her boy friend. Above is the scene before the shower scene where she has supper with Bates. However, she ends up taking a shower which is suppose to be the figurative cleansing of her sins, but she didn't make it.

No, I did not see the movie. Good points, thank you.

If Marion was Christian, then was she forgiven for her sins?

the shower scene also is symbolic of fates intervention quite common in altering the objectives that are not really controlled by the individual whether they are repentant or not. a problem if ever crossing the line into evil, time will never be on their side.

the intervention in itself would be for bates to reconcile to marion and her case before their final judgement ... whoever is evil is not going anywhere, sin without evil is a slap on the wrist.

It may not be your cup of tea, but it's one of those movies where it leads the viewer down the rabbit hole. It has become a classic, and people have talked about it for years. You should make time to watch the entire movie in one sitting as the director Hitchcock would not allow people into the show once the movie started. The film has been made into HD, so would recommend watching that one. The other weird part of it besides the movie is the original theatrical trailer which I posted above. It is the epilogue to the movie. Hitchcock describes what happens in the movie as it has already happened. What is especially gruesome is he describes what happened to the second victim. This follows his TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents where he does a prologue and epilogue scenes. He shot it low budget using his TV crew.

No such thing as sin. It is a gimmick to raise money for churches-talk to God yourself.

the shower scene also is symbolic of fates intervention quite common in altering the objectives that are not really controlled by the individual whether they are repentant or not. a problem if ever crossing the line into evil, time will never be on their side.

the intervention in itself would be for bates to reconcile to marion and her case before their final judgement ... whoever is evil is not going anywhere, sin without evil is a slap on the wrist.

I was trying to avoid good v. evil or crime v. being lawful, but just look at it from what is sin and who forgives us view. Again, I want to emphasize we do not think of movies or our lives as sinners although the Bible states we are all sinners. I think looking at everything as sin or not would make one a religious nut jobber. That's how I came up with second part of how we avoid sin by denying it, blaming others, diverting the blame away from ourselves, or even blame God for the circumstances. What better way to deny your sin than to deny God? Ah, atheists.

As for your sin without evil is a slap on the wrist, we know evil leads us to sin. The sin is what we will be judged on as our crime and its evidence is what we are judged on in court. Evil may or may not be us. Evil may be someone or something else to tempt us to sin. The sin may be substantial.

I didn't understand how Bates could reconcile what he did to Marion. It seems if he didn't put her in cabin #1, then none of it would've happened.

That shower scene is something else. I heard about it, so that was my motivation for watching the movie. I didn't know it became the first slasher genre movie until afterward. I didn't know about all the details until afterward. It's got an intriguing story which threw me for a loop.

As for fate intervening, it is really far out there. I just accepted it as the plot of the movie. With Marion, I think it makes a difference because of what happened. Up until then, we've seen a fairly normal crime of opportunity and temptation. What's great is how it shows us Marion's remorse in two scenes -- her supper in the parlor and before taking the shower. They even made a documentary 78/52 about just the shower scene. I haven't seen it yet, but have read about it and that's where I got the "cleansing of sin" part There is also Bates Motel, a recent TV series made in 2013. It's a decent prequel leading to what happens in Psycho (1960). It has its own story line, but it has all the references to the film.

No such thing as sin. It is a gimmick to raise money for churches-talk to God yourself.

Denial of sin is part of it which you've done. Like I said, sinners will deny their sin, blame others, divert the blame away from themselves, or even blame God for the circumstances. They may even deny God. I don' think you deny sinners will try to cleanse the evidence of their sin.

I was trying to avoid good v. evil or crime v. being lawful, but just look at it from what is sin and who forgives us view. Again, I want to emphasize we do not think of movies or our lives as sinners although the Bible states we are all sinners. I think looking at everything as sin or not would make one a religious nut jobber. That's how I came up with second part of how we avoid sin by denying it, blaming others, diverting the blame away from ourselves, or even blame God for the circumstances. What better way to deny your sin than to deny God? Ah, atheists.

As for your sin without evil is a slap on the wrist, we know evil leads us to sin. The sin is what we will be judged on as our crime and its evidence is what we are judged on in court. Evil may or may not be us. Evil may be someone or something else to tempt us to sin. The sin may be substantial.

I didn't understand how Bates could reconcile what he did to Marion. It seems if he didn't put her in cabin #1, then none of it would've happened.

That shower scene is something else. I heard about it, so that was my motivation for watching the movie. I didn't know it became the first slasher genre movie until afterward. I didn't know about all the details until afterward. It's got an intriguing story which threw me for a loop.

As for fate intervening, it is really far out there. I just accepted it as the plot of the movie. With Marion, I think it makes a difference because of what happened. Up until then, we've seen a fairly normal crime of opportunity and temptation. What's great is how it shows us Marion's remorse in two scenes -- her supper in the parlor and before taking the shower. They even made a documentary 78/52 about just the shower scene. I haven't seen it yet, but have read about it and that's where I got the "cleansing of sin" part There is also Bates Motel, a recent TV series made in 2013. It's a decent prequel leading to what happens in Psycho (1960). It has its own story line, but it has all the references to the film.

Believing you are evil and base and born as a sinner is a recipe for a maladjusted personality. You confirm that with each post.

It may not be your cup of tea, but it's one of those movies where it leads the viewer down the rabbit hole. It has become a classic, and people have talked about it for years. You should make time to watch the entire movie in one sitting as the director Hitchcock would not allow people into the show once the movie started. The film has been made into HD, so would recommend watching that one. The other weird part of it besides the movie is the original theatrical trailer which I posted above. It is the epilogue to the movie. Hitchcock describes what happens in the movie as it has already happened. What is especially gruesome is he describes what happened to the second victim. This follows his TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents where he does a prologue and epilogue scenes. He shot it low budget using his TV crew.

I was watching Alfred Hitchcock on a Dick Cavett interview and he said he never saw any of his films because he didn't like the subject matter. It had to be a joke even though he didn't portray it that way and Cavett was sure he was being serious too.

I'm pretty sure the big 7 are our motivators no matter what we wear, what we listen to or watch, what year it is, greed, lust, envy, covetnous, and the rest (think origional Gilligans Island theme) in variations on those themes lay every story ever written or movie made and so getting back to the post, Jesus is the cleanser of sins I'm sure of it.

Believing you are evil and base and born as a sinner is a recipe for a maladjusted personality. You confirm that with each post.

I didn't say I believe one is evil and base, but we are all born in sin from Adam. That doesn't make you a sinner, but we end up being more susceptible to sin. We lie, cheat, steal, and break the commandments. What I did say was if you end up becoming a believer, they they are more likely to want the cleansing of their sins. We want the Lord to forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. That was one interpretation of the shower scene. She was going to repent for her crime. OTOH, those who don't believe end up trying to cleanse the evidence of their sins. We saw that in the following scene as the dutiful son ended up cleaning the evidence of the sin. It was unfortunate for Marion that it happened in such a shocking manner. Maybe that's why the scene has been remembered by many and they made a movie about it in 2017. There's something there that strikes at the core of our being. This may be because it is symbolic of the cleansing of our sins.

Last edited:
'm pretty sure the big 7 are our motivators no matter what we wear, what we listen to or watch, what year it is, greed, lust, envy, covetnous, and the rest (think origional Gilligans Island theme) in variations on those themes lay every story ever written or movie made and so getting back to the post, Jesus is the cleanser of sins I'm sure of it.

The Bible tells us that our sins are washed away. That's why the connection to the shower scene. I agree Jesus cleanses our sins as it is stated that when our sins are being washed away, it means we are forgiven. Our sins, which had defiled us, are gone. It is by the grace of God through Jesus that we are no longer spiritually corrupt and we stand justified before God..

The seven deadly sins you mention are tied to Catholicism. I am familiar with them as they are popular, but it's not taught in Christianity. The seven were made by Pope Gregory in the sixth century. Sir Thomas Aquinas expounded on the idea. It became popular in the fourteenth century, when Dante wrote his epic poem Inferno in which he pictured purgatory as having seven terraces corresponding to the seven deadly sins.

Jesus died on the cross for our sins, so that bill is already paid.

Forum List

Back