Who Are A Few of Your Favorite Founding Fathers?

Caesar Rodney

Caesar Rodney was in Delaware dealing with militia creation and Tory problems. The Delaware vote on independence was deadlocked with McKean “for” and Read “against”. A dramatic story began to unfold. McKean sent a courier to Caesar Rodney advising him of the deadlock and Caesar Rodney immediately left for Philadelphia, either on horseback (as depicted in the epic statue on Rodney Square in Wilmington Delaware) or by carriage, as his brother Thomas’s letter states. Riding all night in a torrential rainstorm, he arrived at Independence Hall on July 2, 1776 muddy, wet, and fatigued but “booted and spurred”, and also seriously ill. The eighty mile trip had consumed eighteen hours, and much of his vitality. He was strong enough to break the Delaware tie and vote for independence, adding Delaware to the successful vote that day, and the eventual unanimous vote later in July. Shortly thereafter all three Delaware delegates signed the Declaration of Independence.
This little known ride is in some estimations to have been more important than the so called Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.

As for him being ill;
He was tormented throughout his life by asthma, and that his adult years were plagued by a facial cancer. He experienced expensive, painful, and futile medical treatments on the cancer.

Caesar Rodney The Society of the Descendants of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
My problem with these societies, is that most all of their stuff is highly suspect. What Rodney did is not exceptional in the context of what many of his peers did. They were average men in extraordinary times, who rose to exceptional demands and performed well. They were the right men, in the right place at the right time. To make too much more of it is to engage in childish myth building and idol worship.

I love Franklin

A genius and rock star of our nation. He was mobbed in Europe wherever he went and gave us credibility. Without France, we would not have won the revolution. If he was ten years younger, he would have been President

Jefferson and Madison were the brains behind the movement. Great liberals of their time

John Adams gets ignored, but he was the sober realist plotting a path we could follow
Adams was as much if not more of a brain behind the movement. Madison is up there. I believe Jefferson to be the most highly overrated founder. He was brilliant, but early on his true influence was not very substantial. When the Continental Congress first met he was a young, shy, and not very well known outside of the Virginia aristocracy.

Franklin, a true Renaissance man. I'm not sure if he was as influential at home as he was abroad, and after long stays abroad he seemed old and out of touch. He was a well respected elder statesman for sure, but along with Washington and Jefferson he left behind family and friends who pushed his legacy (Reagan Legacy Project 101?) Think of Paul Revere getting so much hype about a ride he never finished :rofl:

I did my founding fathers tour over the weekend visiting the homes of Jefferson, Madison and Monroe

Great men
What about Boston and Quincy and New York? You damn rebel! LOL

Actually, I'll be in the Boston area next week. I was thinking of stopping by Quincy

Downtown: Kings Chapel -- Old Granary Burial Ground -- Old South Meeting House -- The Old State House (upstairs from Blue Line I used most all of my life). All on the Freedom Trail, but there is much more to see. Too much. :lol:

Quincy, not much to see, but worth a trip. The old colonial roads in the burbs -- Sudbury out west --- Braintree down south... enjoy

I love Franklin

A genius and rock star of our nation. He was mobbed in Europe wherever he went and gave us credibility. Without France, we would not have won the revolution. If he was ten years younger, he would have been President

His diplomatic abilities were certainly critical to keeping the Revolution going, along with Morris' financial and logistical skills.

John Adams gets ignored, but he was the sober realist plotting a path we could follow

Yes. People either forget or don't know he was the primary editor of the Declaration, and Jefferson merely his secretary and scribe at the time.
John Adams: A Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law. His Thoughts on Government and more... Adams was a rock star at the Convention and in England .. this was acknowledged to be true.

The Massachusetts Constitution was the template.

Adams was his own critic. He was in the words of Jefferson, as irresistibly and likable as any man. His good points far outweighed his flaws.

Caesar Rodney

Caesar Rodney was in Delaware dealing with militia creation and Tory problems. The Delaware vote on independence was deadlocked with McKean “for” and Read “against”. A dramatic story began to unfold. McKean sent a courier to Caesar Rodney advising him of the deadlock and Caesar Rodney immediately left for Philadelphia, either on horseback (as depicted in the epic statue on Rodney Square in Wilmington Delaware) or by carriage, as his brother Thomas’s letter states. Riding all night in a torrential rainstorm, he arrived at Independence Hall on July 2, 1776 muddy, wet, and fatigued but “booted and spurred”, and also seriously ill. The eighty mile trip had consumed eighteen hours, and much of his vitality. He was strong enough to break the Delaware tie and vote for independence, adding Delaware to the successful vote that day, and the eventual unanimous vote later in July. Shortly thereafter all three Delaware delegates signed the Declaration of Independence.
This little known ride is in some estimations to have been more important than the so called Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.

As for him being ill;
He was tormented throughout his life by asthma, and that his adult years were plagued by a facial cancer. He experienced expensive, painful, and futile medical treatments on the cancer.

Caesar Rodney The Society of the Descendants of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
My problem with these societies, is that most all of their stuff is highly suspect. What Rodney did is not exceptional in the context of what many of his peers did. They were average men in extraordinary times, who rose to exceptional demands and performed well. They were the right men, in the right place at the right time. To make too much more of it is to engage in childish myth building and idol worship.
I agree on the society thing but that was the most comprehensive history I could find online. I had read all of this on him in history class, many eons ago. Heck i might still have the books packed in a box somewhere. :dunno:

Having Indian blood and conversant on ALL events that led up to the American Revolution means I have mixed feelings over that period in time.........
The French and the British sought to protect native lands from colonial encroachment, the British Crown forbade movement into the Ohio Valley a move that infuriated the colonists as they had their eye on the Ohio for quite a while.

Last edited:
Caesar Rodney

As for him being ill;

I agree on the society thing but that was the most comprehensive history I could find online. I had read all of this on him in history class, many eons ago. Heck i might still have the books packed in a box somewhere. :dunno:

Having Indian blood and conversant on ALL events that led up to the American Revolution means I have mixed feelings over that period in time.........
The French and the British sought to protect native lands from colonial encroachment, the British Crown forbade movement into the Ohio Valley a move that infuriated the colonists as they had their eye on the Ohio for quite a while.
:lol: cool! get them books.

The history of peoples moving in on one another is the history of mankind. The native American population (grew up believing we had some..not 100% sure) was going to be run over no matter what. Look at England? Look at what happened to the people who lived there prior to the anglo saxon invasions. It's human history. I doubt the French or the British would in the end have allowed the native inhabitants to keep such valuable property. Forced contracts, trickery, outright theft is inevitable in a situation like the native populations found themselves in. All over the world and all throughout history the same kind of thing has been repeated. Even the natives Europeans found living in the plains at the time of expansion are said to have pushed previous populations out. Human nature can be ugly

What of the Tories in colonial America who didn't go along? They built up what the rebels took. They had their freedoms and liberties trampled over in the name of -- freedom and liberties.

In the end we are all one -- humankind, and our battles are family squabbles fought out on a larger stage

"What of the Tories in colonial America who didn't go along? They built up what the rebels took. They had their freedoms and liberties trampled over in the name of -- freedom and liberties." -- this is why I loathe and fear the leaders of the extreme right. they would trample on the freedoms and liberties of others in the blink of an eye if given the opportunity -- all while doing so wrapped in the cloak of the founders

I do not loathe most who follow them, for they are nothing but ignorant children easily susceptible to manipulation and suggestion
the leaders of the extreme are and always have been irrelevant, and their followers I rarely consider a threat as they never get anything but used, or get anywhere in American society or politics. Contrary to rightwing propaganda and talking points, not even the Clintons or Obama have come close to putting forth left wing policies or ideas.

Last edited:
Caesar Rodney

As for him being ill;

The history of peoples moving in on one another is the history of mankind. The native American population (grew up believing we had some..not 100% sure) was going to be run over no matter what. Look at England? Look at what happened to the people who lived there prior to the anglo saxon invasions. It's human history. I doubt the French or the British would in the end have allowed the native inhabitants to keep such valuable property. Forced contracts, trickery, outright theft is inevitable in a situation like the native populations found themselves in. All over the world and all throughout history the same kind of thing has been repeated. Even the natives Europeans found living in the plains at the time of expansion are said to have pushed previous populations out. Human nature can be ugly

What of the Tories in colonial America who didn't go along? They built up what the rebels took. They had their freedoms and liberties trampled over in the name of -- freedom and liberties.

In the end we are all one -- humankind, and our battles are family squabbles fought out on a larger stage
The French had a different view, they weren't as aggressive in their "colonization" of the Americas, they saw the Natives as trading partners and Canada was never that profitable except with the fur trade which was very profitable.
Oh I'm sure over time that probably would have changed as I too am extremely aware of the constant movement of peoples throughout history taking land from those who had inhabited it for generations.

The eviction of Tories during and after the AR was oftentimes brutal similar to what the British did to the Arcadians after the Seven Years War, a "world war" that started in the Americas, Colonel George Washington of the Virginia militia had no small hand in that..........
By the end of the war the British coffers were drained, the sentiment in England was the colonies helped start this, they need to pay their fair share which led to the hated taxes.

Caesar Rodney

As for him being ill;

The French had a different view, they weren't as aggressive in their "colonization" of the Americas, they saw the Natives as trading partners and Canada was never that profitable except with the fur trade which was very profitable.
Oh I'm sure over time that probably would have changed as I too am extremely aware of the constant movement of peoples throughout history taking land from those who had inhabited it for generations.
The French were horrible colonials...Algeria for one.

The ironic thing is the Loyalists being pushed out of the US into Canada initiated the movement that resulted in a British Canada. North American politics and society of today is shaped by all of that.

France and Spain and Great Britain and Portugal and Russia and everyone else had designs on resources and land

The eviction of Tories during and after the AR was oftentimes brutal similar to what the British did to the Arcadians after the Seven Years War, a "world war" that started in the Americas, Colonel George Washington of the Virginia militia had no small hand in that..........
By the end of the war the British coffers were drained, the sentiment in England was the colonies helped start this, they need to pay their fair share which led to the hated taxes.

Compare that to how the Rebels in the Confederacy got their amnesty.

The messed up crap that followed the signing of the Peace Treaty (Franklin;s hand?) -- this allowed the Colonies to each make their own rules on how to deal with the Tories -- in effect violating and breaking the treaty, as their was NO true national government to put forward the terms

At the end of the French and Indian War the English Crown suddenly had about 70,000 new subjects that happened to be French Catholics. Under English law no Catholic could hold a position of power and the American colonists hoping to take control of Canadas' commerce and politics wanted the Crown to enforce this law in Canada. The Crown eventually did the opposite granting the French Catholics in Canada all the rights and privileges of English subjects without having to convert to protestantism, many of our Founding Fathers were less than happy, to say the least, with this move by the Crown.

I have also long thought that the so-called Seven Years War could be thought of as the First World War, as it was fought all over the planet and pulled in many participants. A military catastrophe for France at the time, it did lead to their enthusiasm for revenge by helping the American War for Independence.

Who Are A Few of Your Favorite Founding Fathers? You can include Abigail Adams if you so prefer.

Top of my current list of well know ones are: John Adams, John Marshall, Hamilton, Madison...

The why will come later as will names of some not so well known ones

Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Franklin, Hamilton.

Washington was called the one indispensable man of the Revolutionary generation (coined by Jefferson). No one disagreed with him. :) No victory over the British....no Constitutional Convention...and no Presidency as we know it without him.

Madison is called the Father of the Constitution and with good reason. He put forth the Virginia Plan that was largely adopted into what is now our current system of Government. One of the main authors of the Federalist Papers (along with Hamilton and to a much lesser degree John Jay). A key supporter of the Bill of Rights. A leading voice in the early Congress.

Jefferson where to begin. Declaration of Independence is probably the greatest political paper in history. A major figure in advocating for Religious Freedom....(See Statutes for Religious Freedom: Virginia). Founder of the University of Virginia....Louisiana Purchase.....you get the idea.

Monroe:
Revolutionary War hero. Wounded and nearly died in battle. Served at Valley Forge with Washington. Crossed the Delaware. Negotiated the Louisiana Purchase. One of the best Secretary of States in U.S. History. Formulated the Monroe Doctrine which is still U.S. Policy. Only man to serve two cabinet positions at the same time.

Hamilton: Revolutionary war hero. Main author of the Federalist Papers. Financial genius. Saw America as a manufacturing power long before anyone else.

Franklin....brought France into the war on the side of America. Without France, we probably lose. Brilliant writer and thinker.
Washington: Jefferson also criticized Washington -- but in the very Jefferson way -- snidely and from behind a facade. Washington was not as popular with other leaders as popular history and myth leads people to believe. He was a unifying force in that one was needed and he fit the bill. His personality and honor, integrity, and virtue served him and the floundering nation well. But his flaws were many and quite obvious to those leaders who knew him. But he was needed -- the role if not the man -- he was needed.

Was he indispensable? Probably not. Was the role he played needed? As far as we can tell -- most likely. Most likely, not most definitely

Biased....but not completely unfair. :) Washington is rated by most historians as a top 5 President. He undoubtedly was the major figure in helping to defeat the British. The Constitutional Convention would likely not have happened or passed without his gravitas.

Pretty good resume I'd say.

Of course, his physical courage and bravery is unquestioned. It's one thing to defend freedom with your words....it's entirely another to do so with bullets flying around your head. Hence, one of the factors in my rating Monroe and Hamilton so highly. :)

Who Are A Few of Your Favorite Founding Fathers? You can include Abigail Adams if you so prefer.

Top of my current list of well know ones are: John Adams, John Marshall, Hamilton, Madison...

Washington was called the one indispensable man of the Revolutionary generation (coined by Jefferson). No one disagreed with him. :) No victory over the British....no Constitutional Convention...and no Presidency as we know it without him.

Madison is called the Father of the Constitution and with good reason. He put forth the Virginia Plan that was largely adopted into what is now our current system of Government. One of the main authors of the Federalist Papers (along with Hamilton and to a much lesser degree John Jay). A key supporter of the Bill of Rights. A leading voice in the early Congress.

Jefferson where to begin. Declaration of Independence is probably the greatest political paper in history. A major figure in advocating for Religious Freedom....(See Statutes for Religious Freedom: Virginia). Founder of the University of Virginia....Louisiana Purchase.....you get the idea.

Monroe:
Revolutionary War hero. Wounded and nearly died in battle. Served at Valley Forge with Washington. Crossed the Delaware. Negotiated the Louisiana Purchase. One of the best Secretary of States in U.S. History. Formulated the Monroe Doctrine which is still U.S. Policy. Only man to serve two cabinet positions at the same time.

Hamilton: Revolutionary war hero. Main author of the Federalist Papers. Financial genius. Saw America as a manufacturing power long before anyone else.

Franklin....brought France into the war on the side of America. Without France, we probably lose. Brilliant writer and thinker.
Washington: Jefferson also criticized Washington -- but in the very Jefferson way -- snidely and from behind a facade. Washington was not as popular with other leaders as popular history and myth leads people to believe. He was a unifying force in that one was needed and he fit the bill. His personality and honor, integrity, and virtue served him and the floundering nation well. But his flaws were many and quite obvious to those leaders who knew him. But he was needed -- the role if not the man -- he was needed.

Was he indispensable? Probably not. Was the role he played needed? As far as we can tell -- most likely. Most likely, not most definitely

Biased....but not completely unfair. :) Washington is rated by most historians as a top 5 President. He undoubtedly was the major figure in helping to defeat the British. The Constitutional Convention would likely not have happened or passed without his gravitas.

Of course, his physical courage and bravery is unquestioned. It's one thing to defend freedom with your words....it's entirely another to do so with bullets flying around your head. Hence, one of the factors in my rating Monroe and Hamilton so highly. :)

I visited James Monroes home over the weekend. They said he took a bullet to the neck after crossing the Delaware and the doctor stitched it up and he kept fighting. He carried the bullet the rest of his life

The Louisiana Purchase was also his idea and he sold Jefferson on the idea

I have also long thought that the so-called Seven Years War could be thought of as the First World War, as it was fought all over the planet and pulled in many participants. A military catastrophe for France at the time, it did lead to their enthusiasm for revenge by helping the American War for Independence.
What's funny about that is France was winning the war on the European continent so England decided to move their prosecution of the conflict to the colonies, probably the best move they ever made towards winning the war. Also in the resultant treaty France got to keep New Orleans and their sugar producing colonies in the Caribbean, those colonies provided the French more riches in one year than Canada had provided in a decade. Also the treaty gave Spain everything west of the Mississippi though they gave "Louisiana" back to the French with the provision that if France ever sells/cedes Louisiana Spain would have first dibs on it, they refused to recognize the sale of the Louisiana territory to the US for this reason, they saw the sale as illegitimate.

Monroe:

Hamilton, an extremely ambitious man, wanted command of the Continental Army and fully expected to be named as its Commander in Chief, he was dumbstruck when Washington was named. Washington had been sitting in the sessions of the Continental Congress the whole time (as an observer) in military uniform and while he never said he wanted the command verbally, it was quite plain to all he wanted it. While Washington had his detractors he was eventually chosen primarily because he was a Virginian and would bind the southern colonies more closely to the "New England rebellion".
Comparatively there were others who were better qualified and more experienced, Washington was the right man from the right location to help unify the colonies in a common cause. Ya have to remember, not everyone wanted to separate from England even among the delegates, quite a few people still wanted reconciliation. Franklin had been one until he was brought before Parliament after news of the Boston Tea Party reached English ears and "dressed down" for two hours, most historians agree this was the turning point for Frankin.

Last edited:

Monroe:

I visited James Monroes home over the weekend. They said he took a bullet to the neck after crossing the Delaware and the doctor stitched it up and he kept fighting. He carried the bullet the rest of his life

The Louisiana Purchase was also his idea and he sold Jefferson on the idea

He was also a hero during the War of 1812. Truly an amazing man. Vastly underrated.

Forum List

Back