Who Are A Few of Your Favorite Founding Fathers?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Who Are A Few of Your Favorite Founding Fathers? You can include Abigail Adams if you so prefer.

Top of my current list of well know ones are: John Adams, John Marshall, Hamilton, Madison...

The why will come later as will names of some not so well known ones

2277f8232d87f81e48779aed25089fe617e00a83.jpg

Who Are A Few of Your Favorite Founding Fathers? You can include Abigail Adams if you so prefer.

Top of my current list of well know ones are: John Adams, John Marshall, Hamilton, Madison...

Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Franklin, Hamilton.

interesting grouping...

Washington was called the one indispensable man of the Revolutionary generation (coined by Jefferson). No one disagreed with him. :) No victory over the British....no Constitutional Convention...and no Presidency as we know it without him.

Madison is called the Father of the Constitution and with good reason. He put forth the Virginia Plan that was largely adopted into what is now our current system of Government. One of the main authors of the Federalist Papers (along with Hamilton and to a much lesser degree John Jay). A key supporter of the Bill of Rights. A leading voice in the early Congress.

Jefferson where to begin. Declaration of Independence is probably the greatest political paper in history. A major figure in advocating for Religious Freedom....(See Statutes for Religious Freedom: Virginia). Founder of the University of Virginia....Louisiana Purchase.....you get the idea.

Monroe:
Revolutionary War hero. Wounded and nearly died in battle. Served at Valley Forge with Washington. Crossed the Delaware. Negotiated the Louisiana Purchase. One of the best Secretary of States in U.S. History. Formulated the Monroe Doctrine which is still U.S. Policy. Only man to serve two cabinet positions at the same time.

Hamilton: Revolutionary war hero. Main author of the Federalist Papers. Financial genius. Saw America as a manufacturing power long before anyone else.

Franklin....brought France into the war on the side of America. Without France, we probably lose. Brilliant writer and thinker.

Washington was called the one indispensable man of the Revolutionary generation (coined by Jefferson). No one disagreed with him. :) No victory over the British....no Constitutional Convention...and no Presidency as we know it without him.

Madison is called the Father of the Constitution and with good reason. He put forth the Virginia Plan that was largely adopted into what is now our current system of Government. One of the main authors of the Federalist Papers (along with Hamilton and to a much lesser degree John Jay). A key supporter of the Bill of Rights. A leading voice in the early Congress.

Jefferson where to begin. Declaration of Independence is probably the greatest political paper in history. A major figure in advocating for Religious Freedom....(See Statutes for Religious Freedom: Virginia). Founder of the University of Virginia....Louisiana Purchase.....you get the idea.

Monroe:
Revolutionary War hero. Wounded and nearly died in battle. Served at Valley Forge with Washington. Crossed the Delaware. Negotiated the Louisiana Purchase. One of the best Secretary of States in U.S. History. Formulated the Monroe Doctrine which is still U.S. Policy. Only man to serve two cabinet positions at the same time.

Hamilton: Revolutionary war hero. Main author of the Federalist Papers. Financial genius. Saw America as a manufacturing power long before anyone else.

Franklin....brought France into the war on the side of America. Without France, we probably lose. Brilliant writer and thinker.
This doesn't really explain the broad range in the political spectrum that you've chosen.

Hamilton, on the opposite end of the Whig spectrum as Patrick Henry, is someone I would consider more of a Tory. His fiscal-military ambitions and visions of a leviathan state, to my mind, place him even to the left of virtually any of the other Federalists.

And Washington, rather than resist Hamilton's proclivities to building a state that would manage the economy and tax the people, took the "interloper" under his wing. Washington, as splendidly as he redeemed himself in the Revolutionary War after his Seven Years' War fiasco, may be a notable founder, but more as a general than as a politician (to my mind, anyway).

Throwing these two in with the four founders of a more libertarian-republican persuasion still makes this an "interesting grouping."

Caesar Rodney

Caesar Rodney was in Delaware dealing with militia creation and Tory problems. The Delaware vote on independence was deadlocked with McKean “for” and Read “against”. A dramatic story began to unfold. McKean sent a courier to Caesar Rodney advising him of the deadlock and Caesar Rodney immediately left for Philadelphia, either on horseback (as depicted in the epic statue on Rodney Square in Wilmington Delaware) or by carriage, as his brother Thomas’s letter states. Riding all night in a torrential rainstorm, he arrived at Independence Hall on July 2, 1776 muddy, wet, and fatigued but “booted and spurred”, and also seriously ill. The eighty mile trip had consumed eighteen hours, and much of his vitality. He was strong enough to break the Delaware tie and vote for independence, adding Delaware to the successful vote that day, and the eventual unanimous vote later in July. Shortly thereafter all three Delaware delegates signed the Declaration of Independence.
This little known ride is in some estimations to have been more important than the so called Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.

As for him being ill;
He was tormented throughout his life by asthma, and that his adult years were plagued by a facial cancer. He experienced expensive, painful, and futile medical treatments on the cancer.

Caesar Rodney The Society of the Descendants of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence

My main favorites are Ben Franklin, Adams the Elder, Gouverneur and Robert Morris, Elbridge Gerry, John Sherman, and George Mason. Of those most people name frequently, probably Madison and Monroe, barely. I define the Signers of The Declaration and the delegates to the 1787 Convention as 'Founders', a rather broad definition.

And no, Paine was not a Founder, in my definition; many of the most famous from that era were certainly noteworthy Patriots, but not 'Founders', though often lumped with them. Others have narrower definitions of who could be considered 'Founders', but imo I prefer the broader one I stated here. I'm not particularly fond of any of the Federalists outside of some the New England faction, especially Hamilton.

Last edited:
If you don't say Washington you are unamerican. This is the biggest trick question troll question of all time. I should have posted it.
Washngton -- trick questions? The only trick here is the one you constantly use on yourself...and even that is boring as hell.

Considering that Washington is the founder of our nation and the greatest American of all time, which nobody can deny, yes it is. Plus, they would later form our Government and some could say they were liberal or conservative and not know what the hell that meant back then. The uneducated.

Forum List

Back