White House claims ObamaCare fine a 'penalty,' despite court calling it a 'tax'

The whole penalty vs tax thing is just typical Washington doublespeak. The more interesting angle is the reasoning Roberts used to justify allowing a law that most people recognize as an abuse of state power. What Roberts saw was that, regardless of what we choose to call it, the mandate is no different in function and form than the multitude of tax 'incentives' that Congress uses to exert power. And that striking down the mandate would make all of those other 'mandates/tax-incentives' subject to the same challenge.

More concretely, if the Court were to recognize that it's wrong for government to force us to buy insurance from their corporate sponsors via the tax code, they'd be forced to acknowledge that it's also wrong to mandate that we take out home loans, or invest in 'green' energy, or have children, etc, etc.... It would unravel a critical pillar of Congressional power. THAT's what Roberts was unwilling to do.
Well said. I totally agree.

Quoting yourself. Always a sign of serious discussion.

The whole penalty vs tax thing is just typical Washington doublespeak. The more interesting angle is the reasoning Roberts used to justify allowing a law that most people recognize as an abuse of state power. What Roberts saw was that, regardless of what we choose to call it, the mandate is no different in function and form than the multitude of tax 'incentives' that Congress uses to exert power. And that striking down the mandate would make all of those other 'mandates/tax-incentives' subject to the same challenge.

More concretely, if the Court were to recognize that it's wrong for government to force us to buy insurance from their corporate sponsors via the tax code, they'd be forced to acknowledge that it's also wrong to mandate that we take out home loans, or invest in 'green' energy, or have children, etc, etc.... It would unravel a critical pillar of Congressional power. THAT's what Roberts was unwilling to do.

Just scroll on by. This one is above your pay grade.

Out-of-pocket maximum/limit - HealthCare.gov Glossary

Here you go...

20,000 surgury....

You pay 5,400.

Wow...that's some deal.

Better line up in bankruptcy court.
And anything else that year. But I'm glad a Foxdupe finally finally finds out the most important part of ACA, five years later. And you're an "interested, well informed" dupe. LOL

Can you try to make some sense once in a while.
Change the channel and you might know something.

I'd still know you can't post two sentences that don't demean or use the word hater dup and somehow you think that lol is supposed to do something besides tell us that really have no clue.

Here you go...

20,000 surgury....

You pay 5,400.

Wow...that's some deal.

Helluva lot better than $280k like the"good old days"...

You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Show me one surgery that cost 280,000 five years ago that now cost 20,000 because of Obamacare.

Besides being a fraud, you are liar.

And you never addressed the other issue I raised...typical.

All you can do is sputter and drool.......hater dup pub.....when you are the hater.
IDIOT. ANNUAL CAP NOW. Another well informed Foxbot or WHATEVER. All the same bs, for dupes only. Jeeesh.

I understand what you are claiming....

After you posted something that said over 60% of bankruptcies had medical bills below the annual cap.

So....we'll let others decide who the idiot is.

BTW: Don't watch Fox News.......

Here you go...

20,000 surgury....

You pay 5,400.

Wow...that's some deal.

Show me one surgery that cost 280,000 five years ago that now cost 20,000 because of Obamacare.

All you can do is sputter and drool.......hater dup pub.....when you are the hater.
YOU STUPID A-HOLE. THE ANNUAL CAP IS $6k with ACA. Get cancer and it could EASILY cost hundreds of thousands, especially with the old scam GOP policies. You want a diagram?

Oh, now we've really unearthed the unhinged side of your pathetic existence.

I quoted from the Obamacare site. They used the example.

Your response while totally ignoring the point was to say better than 280K like before.

That was the cost of the surgery.....moron.

Now, you either point out what surgery has come down that far in five years or shut up.

I understand Cancer...the example was surgery...a surgery....

And you claim to be educated...ROTF

Says the poster who doesn't know the difference between a walk-in clinic and a full-service medical center.

Says the poster who doesn't know the difference between a walk-in clinic and a full-service medical center.
?

Nevermind.

?

Nevermind.

Did you forget what you posted in the ObamaCare forum only a few minutes before you posted this?

?

Nevermind.

Did you forget what you posted in the ObamaCare forum only a few minutes before you posted this?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I think maybe you've confused me with another poster.

?

Nevermind.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I think maybe you've confused me with another poster.

You mean the one who posted this?

Obamacare's Personal Mandate

Here you go...

20,000 surgury....

You pay 5,400.

Wow...that's some deal.

IDIOT. ANNUAL CAP NOW. Another well informed Foxbot or WHATEVER. All the same bs, for dupes only. Jeeesh.

After you posted something that said over 60% of bankruptcies had medical bills below the annual cap.

BEFORE ACA, over 500k bankruptcies a year were people WITH insurance. So BEFORE the ACA annual cap. See sig ferchrissake.

As I said Fox or WHATEVER- Rush, Savage, Fox, Levin, Heritage, GOP hypocrite/liars, Breitbart etc etc etc- It's ALL the same BS bought and paid for by greedy idiot GOP billionaires (Murdoch, Adelson, Kochs, Moons etc) and dupes like you. A DISGRACE. The world is aghast. Trump won the nomination by parroting all that crap.

Here you go...

20,000 surgury....

You pay 5,400.

Wow...that's some deal.

YOU STUPID A-HOLE. THE ANNUAL CAP IS $6k with ACA. Get cancer and it could EASILY cost hundreds of thousands, especially with the old scam GOP policies. You want a diagram?

Your response while totally ignoring the point was to say better than 280K like before.

Now, you either point out what surgery has come down that far in five years or shut up.

BS, brainwashed functional moron. It's all about the ANNUAL SPENDING by an individual, NOW capped at 6 thousand dollars. And you're a supposed well informed GOPer. You people are a joke. Change the channel. Try real news, dupe.

?

Nevermind.

No... you said something about the difference between walk-in vs full-service clinics. Anyway. You're off in troll land again.

Here you go...

20,000 surgury....

You pay 5,400.

Wow...that's some deal.

BEFORE ACA, over 500k bankruptcies a year were people WITH insurance. So BEFORE the ACA annual cap. See sig ferchrissake.

As I said Fox or WHATEVER- Rush, Savage, Fox, Levin, Heritage, GOP hypocrite/liars, Breitbart etc etc etc- It's ALL the same BS bought and paid for by greedy idiot GOP billionaires (Murdoch, Adelson, Kochs, Moons etc) and dupes like you. A DISGRACE. The world is aghast. Trump won the nomination by parroting all that crap.

Don't listen to any of them.

You have data that medical bankruptcies are down...share it.

Otherwise, it is you who is doing nothing but making stuff up or parroting people like Ed Shultz.

You really are hateful.

I hope things get better for you before you become to bitter.

Here you go...

20,000 surgury....

You pay 5,400.

Wow...that's some deal.

BS, brainwashed functional moron. It's all about the ANNUAL SPENDING by an individual, NOW capped at 6 thousand dollars. And you're a supposed well informed GOPer. You people are a joke. Change the channel. Try real news, dupe.

I read your article and then I went to Healthcare.gov. You have a better site...share it.

I am not a GOPer either. You really are a stereotypical leftwinger.....you thing you know more than you do.

Capped at 6 thousand....great.....

File bankruptcy at 5K ...what good did your insurance do you ?

None.

You're an idiot. Who the hell goes bankrupt over 5K and loses everything? They have plans to pay it off. Duh. Let someone else educate you tomorrow. Very irritating. What are you, a nazi? lol

Don't listen to any of them.

You have data that medical bankruptcies are down...share it.

Otherwise, it is you who is doing nothing but making stuff up or parroting people like Ed Shultz.

You really are hateful.

I hope things get better for you before you become to bitter.
My second link I told you. Jeeebus. It's also common sense, with a new annual cap. Ay caramba.

?

Nevermind.

No... you said something about the difference between walk-in vs full-service clinics.

Yes. Your post made it seem that you thought a walk-in clinic could administer a cancer regimen or stop an MI. If you don't know that they can't, you don't understand the underlying problem. When told this, you got all huffy.

?

Nevermind.

No... you said something about the difference between walk-in vs full-service clinics.

Yes. Your post made it seem that you thought a walk-in clinic could administer a cancer regimen or stop an MI. If you don't know that they can't, you don't understand the underlying problem. When told this, you got all huffy.

I wasn't huffy. Just weary of your trolling nonsense.

Forum List

Back