Where were you on Nov. 22, 1963:

'
I was in my apartment, getting ready for my university classes, and I heard the news on the radio.

I walked to the university and found that the classes had been cancelled -- to my annoyance. Talked to some people, trying to piece together details and probable results. One young woman became almost hysterical because we were discussing the matter calmly. She would have preferred that we act like normal Americans and run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The other memorable event was 9/11. Watching the television coverage and its contrived brainwashing and propaganda was instructive -- we have advanced so far from Hitler and Stalin in brainwashing the proles and molding the terms of discourse.

I like to think I was the sparkle of defiance in the eye of a 15 year old boy who wouldn't meet my mother for another 4 (or so) years.

When President kennedy was shot, I was in the 2nd grade and i remember being torn emotionally because I was happy to be let out of school early but concerned because all of the adults were so upset.

I still remember as if was yesterday watching TV the next day (because school was closed) and seeing Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald.

On memorable events - for me, the first truly horrific memorable event was the Challenger disaster. I worked at NASA at the time and we had a television that we used for video presentations so we crowded around it glued to the footage. It was surreal - no one could believe it was happening. I couldn't.

Two other events that I'll never forget were OKC bombing and 9/11 but it was 9/11 that stuck in my mind in every detail - a disbelief as it was unfolding.

A memory timeline defined by disasters. They leave an impression.

I was at the post movie theater in Coleman Barracks just outside of Mannheim, Germany. [Can't even remember the name of the movie]

The lights went on and a senior officer came on stage. I still remember his words - "The president has been assinated." He did not have more details and we learned it from the local AFN radio. Not much later, there were newsreels shown in the theater.

I clearly remember back then that Oswald was not acting alone. I've always thought there was a bigger conspiracy behind it and the government covered it up.

Oral history is fascinating. In 1966 I was employed PT as a Recreation Director in The City and one day was assigned to work at the Senior Center in Golden Gate Park. I thought it would be a boring day and it was until I asked one of the seniors if he was in San Francisco for the '06 Earthquake. For the next several hours I listened to him and others as they related their experience that day 60 years ago. I wish I'd had a tape recorder.

I was at school in San Francisco and had just attended a football rally as we were scheduled to play that afternoon at Kezar Stadium to decide who would play for the City AAA Championship game on Thanksgiving morning, when we learned that the President had been shot.

What do you remember?

My mom and dad were just turning two years old at the time. Me? Perhaps I was here in a different body, but never was skilled at recalling my past lives in detail.

I was nowhere near the Grassy Knoll.....honest

I remember that I didn't really understand the weight or importance what I was seeing. We heard about it over the intercom at school and were told the school buses were lined up outside to take us home.

For the next days, we were glued to our TV and watched every moment.

My father was very stoic. The only thing I remember him saying about WWII was that he peed in the Rhine. Our mother told us he helped round of German citizens and took them to see the concentration camps but he never talked about that. I remember, in the half light of the TV, watching Kennedy's funeral and seeing there were tears running down his face and being frightened by that.

I also remember Walter Cronkite when he took of those big dark rimmed glasses and his voice breaking when he said the tine of death. Actually, its likely I remember the gazillion times we've seen that replayed rather than the time he said it.

I remember the horror of seeing a murder - when Ruby shot Oswald. In those days, we didn't see murders all day, every day, like we do now. People had nightmares after seeing that and I have the feeling that is was a landmark in my own growing up.

My father died the next year and had a full military funeral with burial in a military graveyard. I remember 21 gun salute that startled me so I almost fell into his grave and a man in a uniform handing the folded flag to my mother. The thing I remember most is the ride in a huge black limo and the strange conversation with family members. But, seeing that my father got the same military honors that our president did made a huge impression on me.

I saw JFK when he went to the Air Force Academy. My school wasn't far from there and we went on a field trip to hear him speak. I was one row too high to reach his hand when went down the line, shaking hands. I can still see his face from that angle.

It seems every generation has a moment that they identify with. The generation before mine probably knew where they were when they learned Pearl Harbor had been bombed and that we were at war.

The generation after me will always remember 9/11. I remember that I was on line and went to watch it on TV. When the second plane hit, I typed to a friend that someone had just declared war on the US.

I had the news on while packing to move cross country when I saw the Challenger explode and the contrails coming down, understanding that no one could live through that. I always felt sad thinking they probably had some time, knowing they were going to die, before they hit the earth.

Another landmark event I remember is Friendship 7. It toured the country and I remember that it was outside the state capital building in Denver and that you could file past it and actually peek in the port light.

Interesting thread. Thanks very much.

JFK was shot by Lee Oswald. Does anybody still doubt it after all these years?

There is plenty of 'doubt'. Unless you believe our government never lies.

Here is a memo from the Dept of Justice to the White House the day after Oswald was silenced.

None of the physical, ballistic or forensic evidence supports a single gunman on the 6th floor of the Texas School Book Depository building, but the government decided 3 days after the assassination of President Kennedy and one day after the killing of Oswald that the official story was Oswald acted alone.

Memo from the Attorney General's office to the White House:

Memo from Nicholas deB. Katzenbach, Deputy Attorney General

November 25, 1963

MEMORANDUM FOR MR. MOYERS

It is important that all of the facts surrounding President Kennedy's Assassination be made public in a way which will satisfy people in the United States and abroad that all the facts have been told and that a statement to this effect be made now.

1. The public must be satisfied that Oswald was the assassin; that he did not have confederates who are still at large; and that the evidence was such that he would have been convicted at trial.

2. Speculation about Oswald's motivation ought to be cut off, and we should have some basis for rebutting thought that this was a Communist conspiracy or (as the Iron Curtain press is saying) a right-wing conspiracy to blame it on the Communists. Unfortunately the facts on Oswald seem about too pat-- too obvious (Marxist, Cuba, Russian wife, etc.). The Dallas police have put out statements on the Communist conspiracy theory, and it was they who were in charge when he was shot and thus silenced.

3. The matter has been handled thus far with neither dignity nor conviction. Facts have been mixed with rumour and speculation. We can scarcely let the world see us totally in the image of the Dallas police when our President is murdered.

I think this objective may be satisfied by making public as soon as possible a complete and thorough FBI report on Oswald and the assassination. This may run into the difficulty of pointing to in- consistencies between this report and statements by Dallas police officials. But the reputation of the Bureau is such that it may do the whole job. The only other step would be the appointment of a Presidential Commission of unimpeachable personnel to review and examine the evidence and announce its conclusions. This has both advantages and disadvantages. It think it can await publication of the FBI report and public reaction to it here and abroad.

I think, however, that a statement that all the facts will be made public property in an orderly and responsible way should be made now. We need something to head off public speculation or Congressional hearings of the wrong sort.

Nicholas deB. Katzenbach

Deputy Attorney General

JFK was shot by Lee Oswald. Does anybody still doubt it after all these years?

Actually I did not think many Americans actually believed that Oswald acted alone. You really believe the government BS?

Anyone who believes the Warren Commission and that Oswald acted alone, is completely uninformed.

There a numerous very good books, all well documented, on the assassination that clearly indicate a conspiracy.

I was in First grade, early afternoon, my teacher made the class put their heads on their arms and she turned off the lights for 15 minutes or so. Then she said , THE president is gone…..didn’t mean a thing to me. The thing I noticed most, the trees were turning autumn colors and the adults were so somber. I remember were I was, I remember what society was like in 63’.

I think, however, that a statement that all the facts will be made public property in an orderly and responsible way should be made now.
Nicholas deB. Katzenbach
Deputy Attorney General
Don't hold your breath.

Not much, I was 3 months old.

What was your, I was there moment? The Moon Landing? Nixon's Resignation?

I was 11 months old when President Kennedy was shot, but my first clear memory of a major event was the moon landing. We were at camp, and we all went to Uncles camp to watch it on his television. I do remember Martin Luther King's assassination, and the aftermath, but it isn't as clear, because my parents kept us kids away from the news those days. I remember it mostly from snippets of overheard (adult) conversation.

Forum List

Back