College athletes who transfer twice can play, for now, after Ohio, 6 other states sue

AMart

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2020
A W for the athletes so far. There a big class action lawsuit against the NCAA again after they lost the NIL case. They might not exist in the future.

Reynolds was one of three players, who testified in court Wednesday morning. Reynolds, was asked about his time in Philadelphia at Temple University and why he decided to transfer for the second time, along with his decision to come to Cincinnati.

“I would say my time at Temple was one of the worst things I have ever went through,” said Reynolds. “I didn’t feel safe. My first week I met a couple guys on the team went out for dinner. As we left the restaurant there was this drunk guy and a small altercation. He pulled a gun on us.”
Jamille Reynolds also noted to the judge via zoom that one morning heading to an early workout with his manager who was eventually late quickly changed everything. Reynolds told the court via zoom, that when his manager finally walked through the doors that morning for the workout, his manager was crying, and told Reynolds about how he was just robbed prior to coming to that workout. Reynolds also mentioned about how a friend of his close to the Temple program was also robbed and later killed and that he didn’t feel safe at Temple University.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - College athletes who were denied the chance to play immediately after transferring a second time can return to competition, for now, after a federal judge issued a 14-day temporary restraining order Wednesday against the NCAA.

U.S. District Judge John Preston Bailey in northern West Virginia issued the order against the NCAA from enforcing the transfer rule. A lawsuit filed by Ohio and six other states alleged the rule's waiver process violated federal antitrust law.

A hearing on the restraining order is scheduled for Dec. 27, Bailey said.

The NCAA didn't immediately indicate whether it would appeal the ruling.

NCAA rules allow underclassmen to transfer once without having to sit out a year. But an additional transfer as an undergraduate generally requires the NCAA to grant a waiver allowing the athlete to compete immediately. Without it, the athlete would have to sit out for a year at the new school.

Last January, the NCAA implemented stricter guidelines for granting those waivers on a case-by-case basis.

The states involved in seeking the restraining order were Colorado, Illinois, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee and West Virginia.

It wasn't immediately clear whether any of the affected players would try to compete during the 14-day window and what ramifications they could face if the NCAA would eventually prevail in the lawsuit.

The ruling means forward Jamille Reynolds can, at least temporarily, return to the basketball court for the UC Bearcats.

Reynolds, a native of St. Petersburg, Fla., began his career at UCF. He played 25 games in 2021-22 and started 13 times as a true freshman in 2020-21. He transferred to UC for the 2023-24 season.

West Virginia basketball player RaeQuan Battle transferred this season from Montana State after previously playing at Washington and has been sitting out.

"I'm in the gym every single day with the team, with the blood, sweat and tears with them," Battle said. "When the ball is thrown up and that tipoff starts, I'm not suited up. That's what hurts me the most."

Battle, who grew up on the Tulalip Indian Reservation in the state of Washington, has said his mental health is a big reason why he came to West Virginia. Battle said he has lost "countless people" to drugs, alcohol and COVID-19.

After Battle visited West Virginia, he learned that now-coach Josh Eilert had lived on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota with his mother following his parents' divorce and felt a connection with the coach.

West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey said in a statement the ruling "paves the way for student athletes, like RaeQuan Battle, to play in the sport they love and continue improving themselves."

"We are looking forward to proving definitively that the NCAA has violated the Sherman Act by failing to maintain a consistent and defensible transfer rule and by denying these student athletes the chance to play," Morrisey said.

The lawsuit alleged requiring athletes to sit can mean lost potential earnings from endorsement deals with their name, image and likeness (NIL) or professional careers. It pointed to exposure from competing in national broadcasts, noting: "One game can take a college athlete from a local fan favorite to a household name."
Bailey's ruling came after hearing testimony from athletes whose waiver requests to play immediately were denied.

This whole transfer/NIL stuff is truly the wild west for NCAA football. My feelings are mixed.

1. I'm glad the farce of amateurism dictated by the billion-dollar NCAA exploiters is gone.
2. I'm glad major programs don't hoard all the 4 and 5 star talent anymore
3. I'm not sure what to think about major programs who now can pay tons more than lesser programs to fill their deficient gaps in recruiting, basically creating multiple "New York Yankee" organizations.
4. I'm definitely not on board with college players getting $25 million to stay an extra year like is reported for Marvin Harrison Jr. and Ohio State. Why? Is it because I'm a Michigan fan? that's admittedly part of it. Will I stand up and hold the same standard to Michigan? Now that I've proclaimed it... Yes, I would.

I think there needs to be a cap on how many transfers a school can take in per year, and how much money they can use from donors to recruit talent. It seems like this could backfire and create more of what the NIL was trying to prevent.

Forum List

Back