What's the Best War Movie?

Blackhawk Down

Saving Private Ryan

Enemy at the Gates

Glory

I could go on, but those come to mind immediately...

A Stars & Stripes poll.

Biggest vote getter = Saving Private Ryan with 28%

I voted for The Longest Day

Vote yourself @ The best war movie ever You decide - U.S. - Stripes
Hands down:
MV5BMTc1OTczMjE2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjc0ODgwMzE@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I saw Apocalypse now when it came out, and frankly, I just didn't get it. Then, I saw the full REDUX version this week, and discovered why if had not got it. Over an hour of it was left on the cutting room floor. Also, one has to be a little removed from the war to realize that it was all just a surreal circus of horrors and insanity. The weird way we were fighting the war, almost as sort of a Disneyland of excitement mixed with danger for thousands of 20 year olds, who had never left home before, but were now spending duty time killing everything in sight with 60 MM machine guns and surfing at the juncture of the Indian ocean and the Mekong delta and drinking cold beer while off duty. In the full version, it became crystal clear that Col. Kurtz, target of army assassins because he was insane, was actually the only one who had not lost touch with reality.

A very thought provoking movie.

But for just a good, simple, war and survival movie, I'll take Band of Brothers.

Last edited:
Just finished watching Lost Battalion again.

My orders to Nam were cancelled two weeks before I was supposed to ship out from A School, had a lot of friends who went, some didn't come back. Grew up military and knew a lot of people (many still living) that did one or more tours and as for Apocalypse Now, every Vietnam Vet I ever talked to, including my dad said the movie was absolute bull shit and in no way represented reality in Nam..

Nothing in Vietnam resembled reality, either. This is why they had so many euphemisms. I armored gunship was "Puff the Magic Dragon". Going home was "Going back to the real world". I play water volleyball with a guy who was a helicopter pilot. He told me that he had a hard time doing without the adrenaline rush after his tour. He also told me that flying a helicopters in and out of combat missions was the most fun thing he has done in his life, but that he sure felt sorry for the grunts.

Nothing in Vietnam resembled reality, either. This is why they had so many euphemisms. I armored gunship was "Puff the Magic Dragon". Going home was "Going back to the real world". I play water volleyball with a guy who was a helicopter pilot. He told me that he had a hard time doing without the adrenaline rush after his tour. He also told me that flying a helicopters in and out of combat missions was the most fun thing he has done in his life, but that he sure felt sorry for the grunts.
My dad worked on communications and radar on the Kiowa, told him I was going to become a helicopter pilot, he literally picked me up off the ground and claimed he would break both my legs so bad the military wouldn't take me. He knew what the average life span of a helicopter pilot was, in military terms about one month.

We Were Soldiers

Because I participated in that battle. I was with those guys from April 1964-Sept 1965 and knew most of them. Many are dead because of various cancers from Agent Orange so there's not many of us around. I got it in the prostate. On Nov 14 at 0620 hours we will celebrate our 50th anniversary at the Wall in Arlington. All of you here are invited to attend.

Hoss, one of my two closest Vietnam vet buddies, Peter Mack, was also there. He lost three inches of his right leg to a .51 at the Battle of Ia Drang. He was fated ever after to walk with 2 canes and to wear one shoe that had a sole 3 1/2 inches thicker than the other. I loved him as a brother in arms, and a lot of other people loved him just for being the wonderful person he was. He died of dioxin-related cancer in July of 2011. America was a better place for having had him.

We Were Soldiers

Because I participated in that battle. I was with those guys from April 1964-Sept 1965 and knew most of them. Many are dead because of various cancers from Agent Orange so there's not many of us around. I got it in the prostate. On Nov 14 at 0620 hours we will celebrate our 50th anniversary at the Wall in Arlington. All of you here are invited to attend.
Too bad I'm no longer in NoVA or I'd be there. Give my best to all of you living and dead.

Forum List

Back